The MT-07 Forum

How on earth do you get the timing cover off?

Bobloblaw

Timing cover/crankcase end cover/circular cover with hex head indent on the stator side of your motobikey

I’m checking my valves, went through all the trouble of tearing off the radiator and pulling the valve cover. I’m beginning to wish I’d started with the “easy” stuff, like taking off the timing cover.

It’s f*cking on there! I’ve tried my 14mm allen key with an extension, too much torque begins to shred it. I’ve tried hammering in a slightly larger bolt and adding four nuts and using vicegrips on the nut, I literally snapped the bolt.

I feel defeated, my valves are going tappa tappa tappa at 17k miles and as much as I don’t want to I’m looking at another 4 hours of reassembling the bike and taking it to the yammie dealer to pay $150 to loosen the cover. Any ideas?

Are u trying to take the whole case cover off or just that hex key screw? I remember when I changed my crank case cover, that screw definitely took some ass to get loose. I used a 14mm allen socket with a 1/2in drive ratchet. Make sure the allen is all the way in and bottoms out. If you're trying to take the whole cover off, that allen screw can stay on.

10 lb sledge hammer

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived