The MT-07 Forum

Picked up my FZ07

C4 Trousers

Hey guys, just figured Id post a picture or two of my new 2017 FZ07. Just picked her up today $7200 OTD, I absolutely love this bike. 

Getting ready for prep at the dealer 

22702898-45F0-477D-B26A-FA2DB9D52744.thumb.jpeg.9cdb43d4de3466ee0c81004bbe347f48.jpeg

One mile. 

AF550F95-5327-4F89-A3D6-A3C38F8C479F.thumb.jpeg.3fc67375c08623eef93ef7d8f8f3f1fa.jpeg

7266FC99-0322-4717-8C5A-DA118F5F4BB0.thumb.jpeg.3ab97ff217e804745491acc2e2eb2f34.jpeg

home safe and sound. 

• Premium Member

Congrats on the new ride. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. :)

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Not even 24 hours and I got a screw in my tire. Went for a ride this morning, came back home, chilled for a few hours and went to go back out and what do you know? The rear tire is flat. I plugged it and my dealer isn’t open until Tuesday. Should I just patch from the inside or replace the tire? Pulled this little guy out. 

42E0FAA8-FBB0-4B9C-8B62-DFABEF5219BD.thumb.jpeg.ee1961ba8ad78127d493cc5cc2118d35.jpeg

I feel your pain, had just put Some Q2s on my R1 not 20 miles and picked up a screw about that long.  Reallypisses you off.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

1 hour ago, r1limited said:

I feel your pain, had just put Some Q2s on my R1 not 20 miles and picked up a screw about that long.  Reallypisses you off.

Did you just patch it? Plug it or replace the tire? I’m getting all kinda of different answers online haha. With 4 wheels I wouldn’t even think about it but with only two if my plug or a patch doesn’t hold I’m gambling my life. 

I know for liability  many  shops will never plug it, some states its a legal matter.  I have plugged my R1 with a plug kit to get home a few times.  Plugs are great in a pinch.  If you can find a shop that will plug and tube it, that is one option, replace it is another.  Maybe the shop will cut you a great deal since you just got it may want to ask them.  I know people who have run patches, many run plugs many use the, string.  I use string.  Personally if I cannot get a patch and tube I will replace the tire simply its my life, I cannot trust patches.  NEVER EVER NEVER USE SLIME OR LIQUID SEALANT

I did run a patch for a summer, I kept very close watch on air pressure.  I carry a Genuine Innovations kit with 4 20 gram co2 cartridges always.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Global Moderator

Same thing happened to me last week. 400 miles on new bike and tire. I plugged it with one of those tar ropes and rode on it for a week. It's back at the dealer now for its 600 mile service and a new tire. Playing it safe :/.

Yeah....... 50 miles on the bike and I had to plug it. Major bummer. I rode it around for 15 mins or so up to 60 mph and no issues. Pressures stayed the same as well. My dealer said they’d patch it for $50 or so. The factory BT023s are $120 new online. I guess I’ll see what kind of a deal I can work out with them on Tuesday. 

• Premium Member

It's right in the center of the tire. Pluggin' shouldn't be an issue. It's when it's closer to the edges that you'd have to replace. 

I've done it as I had it happen to me a new tire as well. Got it's life span out of it (10k), no issues. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

17 hours ago, motomeek said:

It's right in the center of the tire. Pluggin' shouldn't be an issue. It's when it's closer to the edges that you'd have to replace. 

I've done it as I had it happen to me a new tire as well. Got it's life span out of it (10k), no issues. 

Not bashing you, you are right and you can get away with doing that but what you may not realize is even though the hole is in the center of the tire that still doesn't make a plug a safe thing to use. There are reasons for that you probably didn't think of, I know I didn't. Read this article and you should understand.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/tire-repair-plugs-should-you-use-plugs-on-motorcycle-tires 

Stay frosty!

Beemer

Soooo...... I got it patch plugged from the inside today. They didn't have many selections for new tires and the cheapest one they has was a Dunlop Q3 for $219. I did some research and the Q3 is a fine tire however it's more oriented for very aggressive riding and most people only get 4K miles out of them. I asked the service managers honest opinion and he recommended the patch plug with the caveat that if it looks unsafe from the inside or there is substantial damage he would call me and we would replace the tire. If I went with the factory BT023's I would have to wait until Saturday for them to come in and it would be around the $180 mark installed. We'll see what happens and i'll make sure to report back if the patch plug doesn't hold or anything weird is going on. He also hooked it up for $34 bucks so that kinda swayed me a little bit as well.

Congrats on the bike!

Don't sweat the plug or a patch. Many people have been doing it for years and years and years. But if a fresh tire makes you feel better, go for it. It's all good either way. 

Archived