The MT-07 Forum

Possible R1 rider converted???

Beemer

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, shinyribs said:

No ego here,bro. I just know the full on sport bikes are at a huge disadvantage on certain roads. Just like I know your R1 will blow my 07 in the weeds on a long straight road. 

The only bikes that would intimidate me in the mountains would be those 40hp thumper sumo's. Those bikes can rip it up in the mountains. Love watching street converted dirt bikes eat up super sports in the mountains. 

I have a riding buddy that tracks a SV650. I can't touch him in the mountains when he's on his SV. He's just a way better rider than me. But on his 1000RR, I walk away. It's not me, it's the bike. 

I too politely disagree, but here is why.

Most seasoned riders can confidently flog a 40 hp bike, that is why they commonly slay the canyons. Its much easier to ride a slow bike (eg the 40hp bikes) really fast and at the limit. than it is to ride a FAST bike (ie the 150-200hpSS) slow.

And yes on the street, any street, your usually going way to slow for a 1k. I mean come on, most will do 100mph in 1st. The place for a SS is usually the track. Now even I ride big power bikes on the street, but It is not what the bikes are designed for, and I don't enjoy it as much.

I also find lots of people buy power way way to early and they become point and shoot riders, mainly 1k ss riders. BUT!!!! Take a properly skilled rider on a 1k and they will eclipse a rider of equal ability on a smaller bike.

For most tracks, a 300 can and usually will out perform the 1000s, for the same reason above. Typically the 300 riders are focused on getting every little ounce pf performance out of the bike, making them more skilled riders, and as a result faster. The guys on the 1ks *CAN* (not always) get lazy, slower corners and fast exits.

Now on the street the 1000 has both torque and top end but is so hard to drive that bike at 3/10ths, so so much harder than giving it 10/10ths on say a CBR300 or 7-8/10ths on an SV650. Not that it can't be done, but I takes a rider with some serious skill. (not me)

The fastest riders have the slowest wrists.(not me)

On the street, why do you think the superduke, tuono, FZ-10, supernakeds, etc, are untouchable in the right hands? They have a big bike motor that is easier to use. Allowing you to maybe ride it at 5-6/10ths. The guy(or gals) that can wring out a 1k ss on the street, at 6-8/10ths.... Untouchable.

Remember the story of you and your buddy is just one example, and the fact that hes a better rider on the sv vs the 1k has very little to do with the bikes and a lot more to do with him. He tracks the SV and so knows the bike really well and know the bikes limits and how to exploit them. Its a lot harder on an ss1k.

Just my .02

'16 FZ07

^^ Spot on and below is perfect.  Good riders feel the bike, they know when and how much to use that right wrist.  With todays fly by wire electronics the bike forgives stupid a lot, but does not make a rider faster, just the bike safer.

2 hours ago, botticelli said:

The fastest riders have the slowest wrists.(not me)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• 2 weeks later...
versysrider

I’m not surprised any supersport or superbike rider would switch to any FZ. Two summers ago I had in my garage a 2014 BMW S1000R (eas Öhlins, up and down quickshifter, c.c., etc.), a 2013 Duc Hypermotard 821, a 2014 KTM 1190 Adv, a 2010 Triumph Street Triple R, and a 2014 FZ-09. Today in the garage are 2 FZ’s, a 2017 FZ-09 and a 2016 FZ-07. They are far and away more fun (for me), aside from the Street Triple, and Hyper. Then add in the Japanese reliability, 24,600 mile valve adjust intervals, ease of maintenance, cost of parts and insurance, etc.  I don’t think I’ll ever own another Duc (reliability, drivability issues).

Anyway for me it comes down to fun. Was the S1000R quicker in the twisties, yes, on some roads, was it as fun, no way. Felt like riding a horse (thick in the middle), compared to the FZ’s. Even though it had torque everywhere like the FZ’s, it didn’t feel playful, just purposeful, never fun. And talk about overkill for the street. I do miss the quickshifter which made a sweet little burble from the exhaust when the ignition was cut during a shift, also the cruise control, and heated grips.

So ya, I can see why anyone would want an FZ, especially after a test ride. As has been said before: it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow. Where I live liter bikes seem to be like hardleyablesons, poser bikes with 2 inch chicken strips, although that’s not always the case. 

'16 Yamaha FZ-07, '15 Yamaha FZ-09

r1limited
2 hours ago, versysrider said:

Was the S1000R quicker in the twisties, yes, on some roads, was it as fun, no way. Felt like riding a horse

I have to say it, if you think the 1000rr rode like a horse you were not riding it right or had it so ill setup.  I had a pleasure of putting some hours on a rr and that thing was like riding a 600 compared to my R1.  I have a blast on my R1, far more funner than the FZ for me, but they are two differing breeds and offer way different styles.  I will say it again, "Not ever one can ride a Liter Bike"

My observation
Those who ride a literbike I mean really have the savvy to do so are extreme technical riders.  Technical riders are deliberate in execution, smooth on delivery and have a finesse to lightly caress a 170-200 HP machine.  A lot of respect goes into that technical deliberation with a methodical approach to every apex and exit.  Not everyone has this ability and will end up on a more impotent ride eventually.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Simon Crafar mentioned yesterday that he had used every ounce of his skills to keep up with a couple of top rank riders from the NSB feeder class around Jerez. Simon was on his Gixxer 1000, the other two on R1 and Panigale. They did 1.47s. There were 20 plus Moto3 riders going faster yesterday. You can not beat skill.

versysrider
17 hours ago, r1limited said:

I have to say it, if you think the 1000rr rode like a horse you were not riding it right or had it so ill setup.  I had a pleasure of putting some hours on a rr and that thing was like riding a 600 compared to my R1.  I have a blast on my R1, far more funner than the FZ for me, but they are two differing breeds and offer way different styles.  I will say it again, "Not ever one can ride a Liter Bike"

My observation
Those who ride a literbike I mean really have the savvy to do so are extreme technical riders.  Technical riders are deliberate in execution, smooth on delivery and have a finesse to lightly caress a 170-200 HP machine.  A lot of respect goes into that technical deliberation with a methodical approach to every apex and exit.  Not everyone has this ability and will end up on a more impotent ride eventually.

Apparently you comment before you read. I said in quotation that my S1000R not RR was thick in the middle, that’s why it felt like riding a horse. That’s the reason I’ve had so few inline 4’s, and will likely never own one again. The electronic Öhlins worked very nicely, thank you. That’s nice you like wide inline 4’s, with your ass up, and head down, I don’t. I like thin, light, flickable bikes, horsepower means little to me, light and torqey is fun. Perhaps you think you are the only one that can ride a liter bike, but in my 44 years of riding I’ve had a few. Doubt that I’ll own another, for me they just aren’t as fun, a monkey can go fast in a straight line, I live for twisties.

“Not everyone has this ability and will end up on a more impotent ride eventually.”

Very interesting choice of words, that gives me a good idea of what you are like. I guess I’m just one of those “IMPOTENT” bike lovers. It’s funny that you ride an FZ-07 sometimes too, doesn’t that make you look “lMPOTENT”? 

Time for a ride, think I’ll go sportbike hunting on one of my “impotent” naked bikes. Have a nice day.

'16 Yamaha FZ-07, '15 Yamaha FZ-09

shinyribs
On 4/22/2018 at 7:23 PM, r1limited said:

I will just polity disagree.  Not many people can ride a litter bike, not saying I can, I am saying I disagree.

Disagreeing is fine when you comes to discussing ideas or opinions, but I'm taking about real life experiences, not internet bench racing. 

Actually, lots of people can and do ride liter bikes. All day, every day and very well. They're not at all rare. Besides, my comment was about full on sport bikes in general, not liter bikes in specific.

Come ride my roads with your R1, or a R6, it doesn't matter...just bring a full fledged super short, regardless of cc. When we hit the shet roads and the suspension that works so well on a groomed, sweeping race track starts jarring your fillings out and causing your tires to skip and chatter while you're rounding a hair pin at 20mph wishing the revs would build back up, I'll sit back and watch the guy on the DRZ while his suspension soaks up the bumps and the big thumper grunts immediately out of the corner and pulls away. 

That's what I was talking about, and what I've watched over and over and over. I'm not talking about some divine rider who "gets" the almighty liter bike, I'm talking about hanging it out on real roads and realizing what works and what doesn't. 

In short, you don't need a fantastic rider to unleash a liter bike/sport bike...you just need a fantastic road. Without that great road, you're at a handicap. 

r1limited
3 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Actually, lots of people can and do ride liter bikes

Yes they can, and I will say it one more time, not many people can ride a liter bike

r1limited
4 hours ago, versysrider said:

Very interesting choice of words, that gives me a good idea of what you are like. I guess I’m just one of those “IMPOTENT” bike lovers. It’s funny that you ride an FZ-07 sometimes too, doesn’t that make you look “lMPOTENT”? 

The funny thing about the Intwanet is the written word butt burts peepolls very easily.  To bad really because the reality of my statement is very clear.

shinyribs
9 minutes ago, r1limited said:

The funny thing about the Intwanet is the written word butt burts peepolls very easily.

This is true. It happens. But we're just discussing here. Doesn't really matter is we disagree or not. It's all good.

r1limited
36 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

This is true. It happens. But we're just discussing here. Doesn't really matter is we disagree or not. It's all good.

Yup

4 hours ago, shinyribs said:

That's what I was talking about, and what I've watched over and over and over. I'm not talking about some divine rider who "gets" the almighty liter bike, I'm talking about hanging it out on real roads and realizing what works and what doesn't. 

Lets be clear especially for the sake of safety and new riders.  I see to many memorial markers of those who for what ever reason on whatever bike is marked in the back wood canyons.  Be it lack of skill or to powerful a bike or just damn bad luck THE STREETS ARE NOT A RACE COURSE.  We are not speaking at least I am not speaking about race speed on back canyons, I am speaking directly to spirited control riding within your limits and allowing you right and left lobes control your right writs, not the two nuggets between our legs (sorry gals or Booby Brains).

That said, I have backed off many times to allow the dim wit by who seems to believe it is a Race, If we are talking sharing about whose dick is bigger on what bike count me out, I will have nothing to do with it, its about skill and you ride in your limits no matter where you are.  I have a buddy a member of FOG (Fast Ol Guys) a name we give ourselves, he rides an SV650, stock motor, but setup for canyons suspension is not stock.  Even on a track, them liter bikes get pretty pissed off seeing him tuck in showing a wheel in every apex.

A few years back a person passed who was a multi champ in the 250 and 400 club brackets in the AFM.  Well known, well like "HE" killed himself on a part of a canyon road in the Santa Cruz Mountains, he knew very well.  All accounts stated he was staying up with the liter bikes and over road the suspension in an area known to be a roller coaster.  His choice he is now dead, left a greiving widow and a shocked race community wonder how such a thing can happen.  I will tell you how it happened, his balls overrode his brains and he paid the price

Archived