The MT-07 Forum

Possible R1 rider converted???

Beemer

Yesterday I showed one of my pool cleaners my bike. He used to have an R1 but had to let it go for financial reasons but wants another bike asap. I knew the seating would feel totally different than on his R1 so I told him to go ahead and sit on it and he did. He remarked bout how comfortable it felt and how the ergonomics were better. He liked the neutral, sit up style better. I asked him how long he had been riding and he said a long time so I took a chance and told him to take it for a quick ride down the road. He didn't hesitate for a second and was gone! I was relieved to see him actually coming back with the bike instead of me having to go look for him and man, did he have a big grin on his face. One of those, what you call "permanent smiles" that you have a hard time getting rid of.

He was smiling like a boy looking at his first centerfold! That is to say he loved the bike! He remarked about how peppy it was in the low gears compared to his R1 and how light and easy it was to handle. He also liked the sound of the Akra c.f. pipe. Said it sounded bad-ass! In short, we may get a new FZ-07 rider in our community in the near future. 

Beemer

BLASPHOMY

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

We see it all the time.. people who dire liter bikes or big behemoths come to us for rentals, and we put them on something suited to the roads and what they're doing, and they come back with huge grins.. Had a BMW S100RR Owner last month who towed his bike into town and forgot the key (yep).  he rented a Daytona for 2 days and was amazed at how much he enjoyed it in the mountains.

Dustin Coffey
17 minutes ago, pjfz1 said:

We see it all the time.. people who dire liter bikes or big behemoths come to us for rentals, and we put them on something suited to the roads and what they're doing, and they come back with huge grins.. Had a BMW S100RR Owner last month who towed his bike into town and forgot the key (yep).  he rented a Daytona for 2 days and was amazed at how much he enjoyed it in the mountains.

UGH I want a 675R for my next stable addition. I think it is one of the nicest, reasonably sized super sports. I'm also fond of the R6 of course. 

Back to the point of the OP's post though. I think it is because the FZ-07 hits all the right buttons for what an all-around motorcycle should be. Power is more than adequate, handling is more than acceptable for hitting potholes or even carving up twisties. Ergo on the thing make it available to literally everyone. So the converts don't come as much of a surprise. 

3 hours ago, Dustin Coffey said:

UGH I want a 675R for my next stable addition. I think it is one of the nicest, reasonably sized super sports. I'm also fond of the R6 of course. 

Back to the point of the OP's post though. I think it is because the FZ-07 hits all the right buttons for what an all-around motorcycle should be. Power is more than adequate, handling is more than acceptable for hitting potholes or even carving up twisties. Ergo on the thing make it available to literally everyone. So the converts don't come as much of a surprise. 

It really does everything acceptably well... and lets be honest, we're spoiled with the 07's power plant. That little engine punches way out of it's weight class - I prefer it to my buddy's GSXR1000, The Africa Twin 1000, and the FJ-09 (which are the only bikes I've owned or test rode). It's actually making it really difficult to replace!

Would have been nice to have better suspension out of the gate, but upgrades aren't impossible and not really necessary until your 2nd year on the bike.

The thing you don't realize about the 07, unless you already know, is that it is so physically light for a motorcycle nowdays. Plenty of bikes FEEL light, but aren't. The CBR500's for example. They "feel" light and well balanced, but are 10's of kilos heavier than the 07. The real weight sits just below the border of your subconcious. The lack of weight doesn't require any near as much body compensation, which you do without thinking if you are experienced. I reckon that is why so many experienced rider like the 07 as much as we do. The KTM 690 Duke is similar ( 10kg lighter again).

Interesting lighter bikes are a little harder to suspend well. But do it right ( the Duke is THE only bike I didn't feel the need to change any suspension components at all, just tune) and the rewards are huge. As I have stated before, riding a 70kg 28HP Honda RS125 GP framed bike on a track is like no other experience. The bike doesn't feel like an extention of you...it feel like it iS you...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Global Moderator

more lambs for lambchops

😆

bring on the new owners :)

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

On 10/19/2017 at 7:44 AM, pjfz1 said:

I CANNOT COMPREHEND THIS

Had a friend who was service manager at Santa Cruz BMW.  He let me test ride the RR, so I toss him my keys to the R1, and we take off, the moment I straddle the bike I was in love all over again, the bike felt like a 600.  Taking off to the twisties it was a liter bike in 600 trim.  I so want one in my barn, this will come.  The experiance was like getting back into dirt buying a 2000 YZF426 and that felt like and was thinner than a YZ250. 

Anyway To Each his own right, Me I love the FZ, its a TT bike for he street, My R1 well that is the Apollo Saturn 5 rocket and I cannot imagine ever getting rid of her.

Oh ya, I had to whisper sweet nothing into the carbs of my R1 again before I got back on her, I could tell she was pissed......

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

On 10/20/2017 at 10:48 AM, r1limited said:

I CANNOT COMPREHEND THIS

Had a friend who was service manager at Santa Cruz BMW.  He let me test ride the RR, so I toss him my keys to the R1, and we take off, the moment I straddle the bike I was in love all over again, the bike felt like a 600.  Taking off to the twisties it was a liter bike in 600 trim.  I so want one in my barn, this will come.  The experiance was like getting back into dirt buying a 2000 YZF426 and that felt like and was thinner than a YZ250. 

Anyway To Each his own right, Me I love the FZ, its a TT bike for he street, My R1 well that is the Apollo Saturn 5 rocket and I cannot imagine ever getting rid of her.

Oh ya, I had to whisper sweet nothing into the carbs of my R1 again before I got back on her, I could tell she was pissed......

Just tell her all the others are just fast hussies, that they mean nothing and that you cannot leave the one you love. 😘 Maybe then she won't buck you. 

Beemer

On 10/19/2017 at 7:10 AM, Beemer said:

Yesterday I showed one of my pool cleaners my bike. He used to have an R1 but had to let it go for financial reasons but wants another bike asap. I knew the seating would feel totally different than on his R1 so I told him to go ahead and sit on it and he did. He remarked bout how comfortable it felt and how the ergonomics were better. He liked the neutral, sit up style better. I asked him how long he had been riding and he said a long time so I took a chance and told him to take it for a quick ride down the road. He didn't hesitate for a second and was gone! I was relieved to see him actually coming back with the bike instead of me having to go look for him and man, did he have a big grin on his face. One of those, what you call "permanent smiles" that you have a hard time getting rid of.

He was smiling like a boy looking at his first centerfold! That is to say he loved the bike! He remarked about how peppy it was in the low gears compared to his R1 and how light and easy it was to handle. He also liked the sound of the Akra c.f. pipe. Said it sounded bad-ass! In short, we may get a new FZ-07 rider in our community in the near future. 

I used to own an R1, and I freaking love the way the FZ07 sits.  Finally got to test ride one Saturday and it's amazing!  

Also funny that you let him ride it so quick.  When I lived in Chicago, I helped my friend buy a motorcycle in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and on the way back we stopped for gas, and a few riders came up to say hi.  I was riding my friend's new bike and she was driving my car, and I mentioned how much I loved his 2005 GSX-R 1000 (new body style at this time, this was in 2005).  He immediately asked if I wanted to try it out and never even batted his eye when I took it for a 20 minute ride.  

I figured that he just offered so he could hit on my friend, but after I returned the bike and we left, I asked her and she said they were just talking bikes.  What a cool guy, although I could never do that with someone I don't know.  

There is absolutly

NO WAY

to comapre the two, I mean seriously, first if your giving up a R1 for the FZ turn in your freakin man card and a strap pn that mangina for craps sake.

My gosh people this is embarrasing... :)

R1 is great but you need to be breaking the law to have fun on the road.

The 07 provides more fun than a litre bike at legal speeds (definitely losers out above that).

That's my experience of them both anyway.

14 hours ago, r1limited said:

There is absolutly

to comapre the two, I mean seriously, first if your giving up a R1 for the FZ turn in your freakin man card and a strap pn that mangina for craps sake.

My gosh people this is embarrasing... :)

Haaaa, ha!

That's funny and all but are you trying to tell us all you have lost your manly confidence?! 😬 Say it isn't so!!

Beemer

4 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Haaaa, ha!

That's funny and all but are you trying to tell us all you have lost your manly confidence?! 😬 Say it isn't so!!

It aint so, when the siisyfied 07 starts getting me a mangina I hop on the R1 and the ol boys is back and THORS hammer is back

well not really but thats a great metaphor :)

I have far more fun on the R1 than the F& and I have far mor efun on the FZ then the R1, TWO DIFFERING WORLDS, If yout not having fun on any bike your on YOU DONT GET IT

I get it now, you're a rocket man and nothing other than a high speed, adrenaline rush will do.

And I think it's gonna be a long, long time
Till touch down brings me round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh no no no, I'm a rocket man
Rocket man, burning out his fuse up here alone

Thank you Elton!

Beemer

2 hours ago, Beemer said:

I get it now, you're a rocket man and nothing other than a high speed, adrenaline rush will do.

And I think it's gonna be a long, long time
Till touch down brings me round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh no no no, I'm a rocket man
Rocket man, burning out his fuse up here alone

Thank you Elton!

Nothing like exceeding the national speed limit in first gear :)

• 5 months later...
munchmeister

So I hesitate to invade this love fest. I'm simply curious about the MT07 ergonomics, i.e., upright or is there a bit of forward lean? I'm new to this forum but I can't seem to figger out which bike is comparable on Cycle-Ergo.com, where I usually go to compare bikes I'm interested in. The 2018 MT07 ticks many boxes for me, not the least of which is the CC/Weight ratio, which someone mentioned earlier. Lighter is good but I'm an old fu*ker and need an upright seating position. 6 foot even, 225 lbs, if that matters. Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, munchmeister said:

So I hesitate to invade this love fest. I'm simply curious about the MT07 ergonomics, i.e., upright or is there a bit of forward lean? I'm new to this forum but I can't seem to figger out which bike is comparable on Cycle-Ergo.com, where I usually go to compare bikes I'm interested in. The 2018 MT07 ticks many boxes for me, not the least of which is the CC/Weight ratio, which someone mentioned earlier. Lighter is good but I'm an old fu*ker and need an upright seating position. 6 foot even, 225 lbs, if that matters. Any thoughts?

She's fine as is, but put aftermarket clip ons on it for more lean... Definitely respring her for your weight... Your height should not be an issue 

Cranapplescott
10 hours ago, munchmeister said:

Also 6' and 225 lbs, I fit fine.  I'm not an 'old fu*ker' like you (27) so I wish it had a little more forward lean so its easier to tuck when I'm playing around with my buddies on supersports or flying through the curves.

As far as day to day riding I can't complain at all about the uprighted-ness, surprisingly comfy. I added a windscreen to help protect from getting blown around from having a longer torso.

I just orders the JBH front forks kit from @bellissimoto and a Ktech razor lite shock to adjust for my weight. The FZ is my first bike so I think I get why people complain about the suspension, but we will see after the installation of the upgrades.

Anyone can get on a fast bike and feel pumped up and that's alright, nothing wrong with that but to feel all macho and act superior to people on lesser bikes implies a man has some "short" comings that he's trying to make up for.

Beemer

Very true. 

This is hilarious. It's like the Harley guys who tell you to get a real bike because your CBR600RR is smaller than even a 883 "skirster". Some guys just can't get it and need the marketing to stroke their ego for them.

The whole thing that makes the 07 great is they did NOT adhere to the whole bigger is better bullshit mindset. There's no huge engine that takes forever to spool up. No unnecessary fairings or bling weighing the bike down. No chrome. Just a peppy little engine that revs quickly in a compact, nimble chassis. 

I'll take on any liter bike that wants to ride with me on the public roads and mountains where I live. You'll ride away with your huge dick on your R1 at the end of the day, but I'll spank that ass on every turn along the way.  If I can out run 1000RR's with a f@#king KLR 650 on knobs, I damn sure know a "little FZ 07"  is a liter bike killer in the hills. 

But if you're afraid of hanging it out in the curves, go ride real fast in a straight line and tell me how much of a "man" you are. 

6 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

I'll take on any liter bike that wants to ride with me on the public roads and mountains where I live. You'll ride away with your huge dick on your R1 at the end of the day, but I'll spank that ass on every turn along the way.  If I can out run 1000RR's with a f@#king KLR 650 on knobs, I damn sure know a "little FZ 07"  is a liter bike killer in the hills. 

Bwaaa Hahahahahhahahaa

You are joking right? unless that liter bike rider is a complete poser/moron/imbecil There is no chance in hell for two equal riders on these bikes that a F& will come close to a CBR, R1, Ninja.  I am not challanging your version of how fast you are nor you ego, but I cal lsimple bullshit bullshit. 

No ego here,bro. I just know the full on sport bikes are at a huge disadvantage on certain roads. Just like I know your R1 will blow my 07 in the weeds on a long straight road. 

The only bikes that would intimidate me in the mountains would be those 40hp thumper sumo's. Those bikes can rip it up in the mountains. Love watching street converted dirt bikes eat up super sports in the mountains. 

I have a riding buddy that tracks a SV650. I can't touch him in the mountains when he's on his SV. He's just a way better rider than me. But on his 1000RR, I walk away. It's not me, it's the bike. 

I will just polity disagree.  Not many people can ride a litter bike, not saying I can, I am saying I disagree.

• Premium Member

The CP3 motor is a middle ground between the CP2 and R1 motors... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Archived