The MT-07 Forum

Clutch has no free play and poor friction zone.

Yury Lo

I purchased my fz07 with 6400 miles and it is about to hit 11,000 . 

when I purchased it , the clutch felt funny. when I apply the clutch there's about 2cm gap before it applies 

and it applies right away, without any free play. It's hard to explain but either the clutch is completely out and I have 

no connection with the engine , or; as soon as I reach the friction zone it's immediately connected to the engine. 

I'm not sure if this was a good explanation, if not; ask me any questions and I'll be sure to respond. 

thank you fz07 community !

• 2 weeks later...

Tried adjusting the wire?

I can't figure out from your explaination if it travels 2 cm free and applies close to the handle or the other way around.

Been talked about look at the image of the manual and how to adjust

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

8 hours ago, bugeyes said:

Tried adjusting the wire?

I can't figure out from your explaination if it travels 2 cm free and applies close to the handle or the other way around.

I adjusted the wire at a professional mechanic, he said he did a temporary fix but I will be needing to replace it soon.

He warned me to switch gears without too much aggression or power.

When I apply clutch , I go passed the 2cm freeplay then immediately it connects with the engine power; 0 to 100. 

If I am at a red light and start moving my wheel sometimes spins out because of it. its either 0 , no application engine to wheels or 100, all power into wheels ; nothing in between.

Like I said, hard to explain.

Think you will need to replace the clutch. What the mech did was probably to adjust the clutch not to slip by releasing som tension on the springs and that will only last a while.

I believe "wire" = clutch cable.

Has the original poster tried lubricating the clutch cable?

Worth a shot.

Could it simply be that the original poster needs practice with operating the manual clutch lever?

Sounds a lot like a classic case of the "light switch" clutch lever throw, going from what seems like all to nothing with little lever movement.as far as the rider is concerned.

How can a mech release some tension on the springs?

• Premium Member

when the clutch cable is properly tightened up, I use the thickness of the motorcycle key to set the gap where the clutch lever stops against the clutch perch... the friction zone travel is similar/less than the amount you need to pull a handgun trigger...I only need to use my middle finger to use the clutch lever on the FZ-07, when back of the lever hits my pointer finger I know the clutch is ready to shift...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

3 hours ago, YZEtc said:

How can a mech release some tension on the springs?

Maybe bad wording, but he can adjust the load on the pressure plate.

The clutch Activatin Arm may be not in the correct position.  If the Clutch cable has n slack it may be due to the fact the Activatin arm is to far back.  Remove it gently and move it forward one notch or two. 

Take a picture of the Clutch arm with NO CABLE Attached to it

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived