The MT-07 Forum

Humid Summer Gear

Zibilich

I live in south louisiana. Usually around 90+ with extremely humid conditions. Looking for some super light gear that will provide protection without being to heavy. 

I think you'll want to add "breathable" / flows plenty of air to that list.  I live in Hawaii and while the humidity and temps aren't quite as high as Louisiana, they are similar and year round.  I have the Rukka AiRider jacket and find that it flows a good deal of air when in motion.  It can still be hot when static; as will almost everything that provides some level of protection.  I have heard good things about cooling vests that you soak in water prior to riding to get evaporative cooling during the ride, though have no direct experience myself.  There was a Summer / Hot weather gear thread that you should be able to find to get more ideas.

Hey bud. I live in central Mississippi, close to rivers and lowlands and swamps and the resivour. It’s humid as shet balls here often in the summers. Last summer I bought A Fly cool pro mesh jacket and removed the armor. Airflow is great, without armor of course it’s just skin protection which is all I really care about if I go down and it’s cheap and has a nice fit. They have matching pants for it . The whole get up looks good and is cheap and decently Made. It’s great with a T-shirt under and comes with a removeable waterproofing-ish liner that can block wind in cooler days if you wanna wear a long sleeve under and works decent in rain.   https://shop.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fly-coolpro-jacket

Fwiw, I also live in Hawaii and humidity can get a bit uncomfortable here as well.  

I use the following with good results: Held Rodney gloves - they even have a perforated palm and air flow is really good for a leather glove. Klim Induction jacket - the D30 armor is actually vented also and air flow is the best I have experienced with any riding jacket.  When I first wore the jacket I was sitting in traffic and noticed air flowing around my shoulder, never experienced that before.  Olympia Airglide 4 pants - these are mesh overpants and I couldn't be happier with them.  I am convinced that riding with these pants during the day is actually cooler than riding without them.  My theory is that they prevent the sun from hitting your pants directly and that reduces the temp.  As with the jacket, with my work pants (dress pants), I can feel the airflow even at a stop if there is a breeze.

Coming from Florida I ride with the Rev'it GT Air and it provides plenty of of air flow, looks awesome, and is significantly cheaper than a lot of the other jackets mentioned here. Definitely still feels warm sitting at a traffic light, but I'm fine as long as I'm moving. Those get combined with Alpinestars SMX-1 gloves which have been perfect between 60 and 100 degrees. 

Regardless, it isn't fun at noon when its 95 degrees and  there's heavy traffic.

There are VERY good adventure style jackets AND pants with zipped airflow panels. Always us them for touring asthey cover pretty all conditions I am going to encounter. Back and side venting works well when it is disgusting hot/humid as that is where the sun heats but doesn't get the big airflow of the front.

Also quite a few gloves with leather/composite/kevlar weave tops. Great protection and allow air THROUGH the gloves. They were even my preferred gloves on the track ( raced in North Queensland which is the same latitude as Hawii but a lot hotter.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

On 10/16/2017 at 10:45 AM, Zibilich said:

I live in south louisiana. Usually around 90+ with extremely humid conditions. Looking for some super light gear that will provide protection without being to heavy. 

For a jacket, Google River Road Mesh Baron jacket. Mine has several years and ten's of thousands of miles on it and it has held up well. Even went down in it a couple times. The back protector is the typical flimsy pad, but can be upgraded, like most jacket. 

For the ultimate in airflow + protection, check out Fox Titan Pro jacket. Pretty wild looking and it's mesh chassis, but the armor is pretty full coverage. 

I live in the South, too, so I know where you're coming from. The Fox Titan get's used more for dualsport rides, but both have served me very well in the hot, humid Southern summers. 

Shineyribs makes a good point. Until I got my adventure jacket , I used my mesh jackets exclusively in the hotter months ( we don't have summer, just a stinking hothumid season for 8 months and 4 months of not stinking hot and very dry). They have the advantage of when you are off the bike they will flow air even at walking speeds.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived