The MT-07 Forum

How Much do You Love Your FZ-07?

bornagainbiker

How Much do You Love Your FZ-07?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Overall how would you rate your FZ-07 on a scale of one to ten?

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

How much do you love your FZ-07 on a scale of 1 - 10?  One being not at all, and ten being it's the best bike ever.  Personally I would rate my FZ an 8 overall--it does have some suspension shortcomings.  That being said, I would rate it a 10 in the fun department.  How would you rate your FZ?

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not say I love my FZ, I call it a deep affection of unparalleled bonding of mind, soul and spirit.  The fact I get wood between 4 and 6k has nothing to do with it.  Now the R1, well thats a love affair that is very respectful :)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I gave it an 8.  It's not my dream bike, that would be a 10.  It also wasn't an 8 when I bought it but after the mods it climbed a couple spots to where it is now.

I gave it a seven. Was said above it started out well but the mods made it a lot better. I don't know what a ten would be but the fz07 is a very fun bike, so much so I am considering getting another one.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
13 hours ago, JA50N said:

I gave it an 8.  It's not my dream bike, that would be a 10.  It also wasn't an 8 when I bought it but after the mods it climbed a couple spots to where it is now.

I guessing, that with decent suspension mods, I would rate my FZ a 9. ^-^

I gave it an 8 not because of the soft suspension but because of the poor fueling at on/off throttle. I had to

get my ecu done to get the fuel injectors to stay on and to get a little more fuel in midrange .

That on off jerkiness is caused by the injectors turning on and off.

My flash did increase my mpg a little though.

Let's open the curtains and let some light in on the bike, it was a bargain basement bike that just happen to have as close to a "10 engine" as you can get. That engine at any price, in many bikes would still be nice, not so much the rest of the bike. If it weren't for the engine I would've given the bike about a 6 but I gave it an 8. The improved Tracer I would probably give an 8.5 or 9 to. 

Edit: I don't love my bike, I like it one hell of a lot, I only love riding.

Beemer

She is great fun and she makes me smile. She is perfect for me. I know she has her faults but I love her still.  She is so patient waiting for me to take her out somewhere. 10

Just do it! 

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
2 hours ago, mcbrien said:

I gave it an 8 not because of the soft suspension but because of the poor fueling at on/off throttle. I had to

get my ecu done to get the fuel injectors to stay on and to get a little more fuel in midrange .

That on off jerkiness is caused by the injectors turning on and off.

My flash did increase my mpg a little though.

Yes--if one combined an ecu flash with the suspension mods--the FZ-07 just might be a 10. 8)

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

I rated it a 9, because I still have some mods to do. The top three mods I made are the 2wheeldynoworks ECU flash, the Matris F15K fork cartridges (installed by pattonme with his upgrades) and the Nitron r1 rear shock. 

I gave it a 6 because my affection is diminishing. Engine is a 9, no doubt, if not even better. And with the suspension upgrades it handles well, but still lacks comfort. And the bike's looks do nothing for me. I cannot separate it from just about any other modern bike, be that Honda, Kawasaki or other Yamahas. Probably because I cannot get myself to really study it and try to remember how it looks. And the headlight is useless.  Also, working on it doesn't give me any joy, and the quality is questionable; every bolt I remove is corroded to the extreme. The bolts found in my 1982 Virago looks brand new in comparison. The plastic panels are cheap and they squeak. 

Make the thing with a proper steel fuel tank and old school AMA superbike styling and I would rate it a 9. Or 10.

Inspirational images 

xjr+yard+built.jpg

d8955c8de48e201ee8d89f2c74771433.jpg

Team-Classic-Suzuki-Katana-1280x905.jpg

kawasaki-zephyr-750.jpg

Its a 9.5 for me. I know its far from perfect but theres something about this bike that i absolutely love and i enjoy riding it just as much now as i did when i first bought it.

• Premium Member

in stock form overall score is a stout 6.5

-major point loss for suspension and airbox

after doing suspension, exhaust, aftermarket airbox and ditching the stock tires for some Q3s gave the bike an overall score of 8.75

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

23 hours ago, bornagainbiker said:

Yes--if one combined an ecu flash with the suspension mods--the FZ-07 just might be a 10. 8)

This, but I gave it an 8.

On 10/15/2017 at 2:51 PM, faffi said:

I gave it a 6 because my affection is diminishing. Engine is a 9, no doubt, if not even better. And with the suspension upgrades it handles well, but still lacks comfort. And the bike's looks do nothing for me. I cannot separate it from just about any other modern bike, be that Honda, Kawasaki or other Yamahas. Probably because I cannot get myself to really study it and try to remember how it looks. And the headlight is useless.  Also, working on it doesn't give me any joy, and the quality is questionable; every bolt I remove is corroded to the extreme. The bolts found in my 1982 Virago looks brand new in comparison. The plastic panels are cheap and they squeak. 

Gee faffi, you are starting to sound like level41 - I went for a ride on Sunday, and after 2 years (8000 miles) I still love my bike and that is with only a flash and mildly worked over forks. After I install my Bitubo shock and slap on a set of PR4s, I am sure that my current 7.5 will be up to a 8.5 or higher

🤓

It's not that the bike isn't fun, it just that for me motorcycling is about more than mere function and/or fun. I like a motorcycle that I want to turn around to look at, not just ride. Visually, the 07 does nothing for me. This version below is a solid improvement, though, and I may go that route. No beauty, but interesting and cool. The headlight, paint and front fender are the most important part of the equation.

01.jpg

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
2 hours ago, faffi said:

🤓

It's not that the bike isn't fun, it just that for me motorcycling is about more than mere function and/or fun. I like a motorcycle that I want to turn around to look at, not just ride. Visually, the 07 does nothing for me. This version below is a solid improvement, though, and I may go that route. No beauty, but interesting and cool. The headlight, paint and front fender are the most important part of the equation.

01.jpg

Hey Faffi,

I have to admit that the styling of a lot of modern bikes don't work for me either, but a Triumph Street Twin is just too much money for what you get.  In my neck of the woods the Street Twin is about three grand more than the FZ.  I'm just using the Street Twin as an example, but you know what I mean.  Someone needs to come up with a retro body kit for the FZ--then we'd be talking.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
1 hour ago, faffi said:

A retro kit would be just what the doctor ordered 😎And not like the rather weird XSR700, but something classier.

Yes, a kit that actually looked like and old XS650, or at least strongly resembled one. 8)

Yamaha-XS650-1.thumb.jpg.450c16daeab65e83592da040d7100b05.jpg

I'm turning 60 this April, and while I have my nostalgia moments, I currently live them out through my vintage dirt bikes, not my street bikes. How is one going to get more classic than a 70's CZ (I've owned three).

59e5f56db12d7_serveimage(800x600).jpg.b51b28436af60eb5b67bb169b20c743f.jpg

Unfortunately, the problem with a modern bike with a true classic look is that aren't going to have strong sales, and they surely are not going to have state-of-the-art tech. Several examples, why did they discontinue the Honda 750 Nighthawk which I am sure the tooling was paid for years before they discontinued it? The next is the current Honda CB1100 which I would love to see the sales figures for that one. It is still around, but I think that it is a token bike for us boomers who will spend some money trying to remember what it was like to redo our old CB750 days (which was basically the Nighthawk). Oh yeah, don't hold your breath on how long the Yamaha SR400 will be around.

Now if you want a unique, modernish classic, a buddy took a 750 Nighthawk and put on a Ninja rear end with a Gixxer front end. He pulled it off for under $10,000 and that includes the donor bike.

IMG_1310.thumb.JPG.8811f2fe0ef4072d67dd2d27b3e1198e.JPG

My point is that none of the major manufacturers are going to build a bike with truly modern components/tech, that still has an old school classic look. There's just not enough profit in it for them.

19 minutes ago, faffi said:

so does Harley

Seriously..... how can a bike manufacturer who produces nothing but archaic bikes that roamed the Earth with the dinosaurs make a bike that is RETRO??? Don't get me going about their tech...

I'll give you one with the BMW R Nine T Pure, and only the Pure model as it's the only one of that series that is not totally fugly

Archived