The MT-07 Forum

How Much do You Love Your FZ-07?

bornagainbiker

How Much do You Love Your FZ-07?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Overall how would you rate your FZ-07 on a scale of one to ten?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange thing this desire for retro. We don't buy cars that look as if they were built in 1935. Clearly, Triumph and Royal Enfield want to push it for all it's worth and they do so successfully; it is what they do. Credit to the Japanese and others in Europe though, they have seemed to want to move things on all the time. They are not about to jump back in time, surely? I'll have the latest thanks... now where's my calmed down, inexpensive  MV Agusta? Oh there, it's in my garage with a Yamaha MT-07 badge. 

This thread has morphed, BTW.

Just do it! 

1 hour ago, bornagainbiker said:

Speaking of retros that have found a market--what about the new Triumph Bonnevilles? 

I got the drift that faffi was going more for a modern high tech bike that had a true classic look to it. I like the the retro Triumphs just fine, but they are not a modern high tech bike. Now if you put all the tech of a FZ-10 into a SR400, now you are talking. Problem is that it would be way too expensive and won't sell well enough for them to even think about it.

59e67fc76d018_SR400(800x476).jpg.e31f5630a7bc416ea308423e5d21f636.jpg

One more thing, what was Yamaha thinking by making the SR400 kick start only??

My bad on forgetting the Triumphs, of which several are quite high tech despite their classic looks. Same with BMW. And also among cars there is a niche for retro styling in the form of Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, Beetle, Mini etc. 

The SR400/500 have a following because it is kick-start only. And although that market has narrowed considerably, it is worth mentioning that it was the biggest selling motorcycle in Germany for several years way back in time. And that in the land of no speed limits. These days I reckon Yamaha can keep making the bike in low volumes because everything is paid for many times over, so the only cost is labour and material.

• Premium Member

I'm surprised how many want a retro styling. For me, an admitted older guy, I wouldn't have even considered the FZ-07 if it had been retro styled. I prefer it's modern styling.  I don't want analog gauges either, not that the gauges get much attention from me anyway. I only look at  the cluster occasionally to make sure I'm not running out of gas.

If I'm alone in my preferences, I can live with that.  As I've said here before, the only person who has to be pleased with it is you.  There is no wrong/right or good/bad preference. ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

Hard to say, from 8 to 10? Its the only bike Ive owned. I only wish I had more time to ride it. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I gave it an 8.

That is even with it to where I have modded it ( exhaust, tuning, suspension, Seat concepts seat etc). Not because there is anything really wrong with it, but 10 isn't gonna happen, and I know what it feels like to ride tiny weightless bikes on tight tracks. No matter what you do a 160kg road bike on the road, isn't gonna feel like a 70kg perfectly setup race bike on a twisty track. That's 9.x.

The engine isn't a 10, but it is one of the great engines. The VFR400R motor is better ( though WAAAY more complicated). Or an rsv550 aprillia ( reliability notwithstanding). Or a nsr250 mc21. I just notived they are all "v"'s.

The chassis needs the tracer swingarm to get it closer to perfect, so the front is loaded better.

The tank is way too small, if you are an Australian not living in one of the tiny states.

The rear rim is just ridiculously too big and needs to be an inch narrower so you can put the right size tyre on it.

Suspension sucks, but most stock suspension on most motorcycles sucks.

Seat was designed by the same people that came up with the idea of tortureing people by growing bamboo through them.

All that and it is still one of my favourite bikes ever...and I have had a few over 45years of riding them. Rode my first motorcycle when I was 19.

PS I don't care what a motorcycle looks like. Not in the slightest. It is what it "feels" like that matters to me. And I hate the high drag lack of areodynamics look of the Manga generation of motorcycles. Kawasaki does it worst. Just reminds me of a 19th century japanese warrior. Not exactly contemporary. Oh look pointy bits.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I love it too much. I'm having a hard time finding a replacement that gives me the same experience.

Test riding an FZ-10 next demo days though... I think that should do it.

Love the bike but hate the shape of the seat!  It's kind of like that seat was made for the Flying Butt Pliers guy from Ren and Stimpy Classics:

image.png.e5c24d7518289f518842be6fbc282f3c.png

On 17/10/2017 at 5:03 PM, robbo10 said:

Strange thing this desire for retro. We don't buy cars that look as if they were built in 1935.

Mopar went back to the late 60's/early 70's with the Charger and Challenger, Chevy sort of did it with the Camaro.  Not replicas, but still that  old musclecar look.  Mini's and VW Beetles are still popular.

Not 1935, but Model T's and hulking Packards probably wouldn't do too well.

Not arguing, just sayin'...

I gave it a 10. I could go on about how much I love it, but I guess it's easiest to say I have a lot of attachment to it just because of how much I've learned on it and how much this bike made me actually get into motorcycling as a sport, not just a way to cruise around town. 

I think also if you're comparing brand new bikes, you can't come close to the FZ07 for the price point. It's the new SV650 so to speak, it's cheap, reliable, and can do anything you want it to do with slight modification. The SV650 is a time tested and proven bike, but the fz07 kind of came along and turned it up to 11. 

On 10/15/2017 at 2:51 PM, faffi said:

I gave it a 6 because my affection is diminishing. Engine is a 9, no doubt, if not even better. And with the suspension upgrades it handles well, but still lacks comfort. And the bike's looks do nothing for me. I cannot separate it from just about any other modern bike, be that Honda, Kawasaki or other Yamahas. Probably because I cannot get myself to really study it and try to remember how it looks. And the headlight is useless.  Also, working on it doesn't give me any joy, and the quality is questionable; every bolt I remove is corroded to the extreme. The bolts found in my 1982 Virago looks brand new in comparison. The plastic panels are cheap and they squeak. 

Make the thing with a proper steel fuel tank and old school AMA superbike styling and I would rate it a 9. Or 10.

Inspirational images 

xjr+yard+built.jpg

d8955c8de48e201ee8d89f2c74771433.jpg

Team-Classic-Suzuki-Katana-1280x905.jpg

kawasaki-zephyr-750.jpg

I have a buddy who is die hard BMW and he asked me how I was liking my FZ07 after I had about a month. I told him it's a wonderful engine, but the bike is no vintage Honda....meaning I feel you 100% on the fit/finish/build quality issues that you mentioned. But to be fair, if it was build tank-tough like those old brutes you posted ( which I dearly love) the bike would just be another 450lb monster. So, even though a few things are kinda flimsy, I'm glad the bike was built with lightness in mind. 

I give the bike a 9. Every "complaint" I could think of ( lack of center stand, overall a bit smallish, seat squeaks when you sit on it, small fuel tank..) is counterbalanced with weight savings, so my only niggle is the lack of a finished front end ( fly screen) from the factory and the absolutely horrible lefthand switchgear. I quite like the looks of the bike, even the swingarm. I guess the swinger could be alloy, but I don't think it's holding the bike back as it is. I had no chicken strips out back on stock suspension and about 1/4" up front. May not be the best handling bike out there, but it damn sure gets the job done. I don't mind having to work a little harder for it. In fact, I enjoy that aspect of the bike. Most fun I've ever had on pavement and the kickass exhaust note makes me giggle like an idiot. 

A note on seat "shape". I have a Seat Concepts seat pad replacement which is basically the same shape. It is a VERY good seat now. The problem appears to be the foam material. Probably too soft.

2 hours ago, gregjet said:

A note on seat "shape". I have a Seat Concepts seat pad replacement which is basically the same shape. It is a VERY good seat now. The problem appears to be the foam material. Probably too soft.

I think there is not enough foam (for me anyway). Put more on and it is good. 

Just do it! 

The Seat is Great for me on the highway where I position myself rearward Even on long rides. however when I'm at a stoplight, I find myself pushed forward and downward with pants pulling tight on los  huevos .  It is an annoyance but not a deal breaker (maybe a ball breaker!). Just have to shift around a bit.  It seams to be the angle, super wide rear, low narrow front , at least  for me. 

"Put more on and it is good. "

A seat pad is a spring. Hooke's law. If you make it thicker ( longer) of the same material, it will be softer.

You sit on your ischerial tuberosities, or the boney lumps at the bottom of your bottom. All the other soft tissues are NOT designed to be sat on, as they allow the seat to press on nerves and blood supplies they shouldn't. That's why bicycle seats seats are pretty solid, for distance riding. A softer seat will become more uncomfortable quicker.

You need something that will take to shock from the bones but not deform around the other soft tissues.

2 hours ago, gregjet said:

A seat pad is a spring. Hooke's law. If you make it thicker ( longer) of the same material, it will be softer.

You sit on your ischerial tuberosities, or the boney lumps at the bottom of your bottom. All the other soft tissues are NOT designed to be sat on, as they allow the seat to press on nerves and blood supplies they shouldn't. That's why bicycle seats seats are pretty solid, for distance riding. A softer seat will become more uncomfortable quicker.

You need something that will take to shock from the bones but not deform around the other soft tissues.

maybe if I beef up the padding at the front low point it would help

• Premium Member

I'm going to go for an 8. The more I ride it, the more i like it.

I can't imagine another bike I'd rather have at the moment.

Plus, the bike is sexy as hell, even if some of the old timers disagree. 😛

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
8 hours ago, i28 said:

I'm going to go for an 8. The more I ride it, the more i like it.

I can't imagine another bike I'd rather have at the moment.

Plus, the bike is sexy as hell, even if some of the old timers disagree. 😛

Hey, who you callin an oldtimer? LOL.  Seriously though, it's probably just nostalgia for bikes that had round headlights, easy spark plug access, and more curves than angles. ;D  

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

16 hours ago, gregjet said:

Mine is a bit softer, not much.  I used neoprene foam. I made a trianglar sandwich of 3x 10mm layers. The middle layer is just side strips so it gives a 'cutout' down the centre to relieve sensitve parts. A layer of sheet neoprene keeps it in place and adds some firmness. I agree that support is really only required for the "bony lumps". My bicycle saddle has foam lumps and that is where I got the idea.

Just do it! 

On 10/28/2017 at 7:29 PM, faffi said:

My GSX600F Katana had a very firm seat pad. Never gave me a sore bum. The 07 has a rather soft seat pad. Bum hurts after extended rides.

When I took my bike down to a local upholstery guy he said the exact same thing about the FZ's seat, "too soft" and the further you scooted back in the seat the material gradually became thinner. At times I wish I just had an old school seat on my bike. They may appear bulky but I love a well padded, wide, flat seat. Not everything has to resemble a super sport.

Beemer

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
2 minutes ago, Beemer said:

When I took my bike down to a local upholstery guy he said the exact same thing about the FZ's seat, "too soft" and the further you scooted back in the seat the material gradually became thinner. At times I wish I just had an old school seat on my bike. They may appear bulky but I love a well padded, wide, flat seat. Not everything has to resemble a super sport.

Amen to that. :)

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

I fitted a new sprung saddle (as in olden times) to my TDM 900. 11 springs between me and the bike.  Just right.

Just do it! 

Archived