The MT-07 Forum

Parking Lot Cager Tip

Beemer

Didn't see this one coming! Yesterday I was riding through a parking lot behind a truck and we were both doing appx. 3 mph. I was about a car length behind him when he suddenly stopped a few feet past a parking space to our right and the reverse lights came on. I also came to a sudden stop and thought to myself, WTF?! Then he started backing up into that parking space with me in the way. After a few feet of backing up he finally saw me and stopped. I tried to push the bike backwards while sitting on it to allow him enough room to get past me and into the space but apparently I wasn't fast enough for his liking and as quick as he stopped he suddenly took off in a hurry, pulled straight into a different space up ahead, quickly got out of his truck just so he could cuss me as I went past. I thanked him with the standard, cordial, FY very much and we parted ways. 

The tip:  beware of oblivious dingle berries that may want to reverse into a parking space.

Beemer

• Premium Member

I don't get people that back into parking spot.

What is exactly that are they trying to achieve?  Time saving?  Think about it: a parking spot is fairly small compared to a parking lot lane.  Backing into it requires more care, and time, that backing out of it...

Was this a pick up, were you in a blind spot, Normally the first reaction when you get caught in your shet is to act like it is the udder poisons fault.  Not saying it was your fault at all, just human nature to blame someone else (Truck Dude Yelling at you). 

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

38 minutes ago, phyciocc said:

What is exactly that are they trying to achieve?  Time saving?  Think about it: a parking spot is fairly small compared to a parking lot lane.  Backing into it requires more care, and time, that backing out of it...

Done right, backing into a space takes time when you're aware of other traffic in the lot and it also allows more careful placement of the vehicle.  Backing out happens when you're relatively blind...

13 hours ago, phyciocc said:

My truck is a lot easier to back in to spots than it is to pull head in. 

23 hours ago, r1limited said:

Was this a pick up, were you in a blind spot, Normally the first reaction when you get caught in your shet is to act like it is the udder poisons fault.  Not saying it was your fault at all, just human nature to blame someone else (Truck Dude Yelling at you). 

Yes, it was a pick-up truck and no, I wasn't in a blind spot and yes, it was his fault. It may be a habit for a lot of dishonest people to not take responsibility and blame someone else for their mistakes but it isn't my nature to do something like that. What I didn't mention to keep it short is he was at first driving in my direction and then he made a right hand turn and the parking space was immediately to his right after he drove about 10 ft. He probably wasn't paying attention to me coming right at him (before he made his turn) with my left turn signal on (to turn right behind him)  just before he made his turn (he probably thought no one was behind him after he turned) and after I turned and was behind him he wasn't aware of that and not looking for me or anyone else. He assumed wrong. He was only looking to the right, initially, at the parking space. When he did look directly behind himself he saw me and then stopped. 

As far as why people back into parking spots is probably because  you can see what's coming left and right easier when you pull out and you can make it out faster. I've done it when no one was coming and big SUV's to either side that would block my view even worse if I had pulled straight in. 

Beemer

you must've been to close to start with.no matter how slow you should be at least 2 or 3 car length for safe distance.

if you had been then you wouldn't have this problem.

@Beemer I was not referring that that you did anything wrong, more referring to the cagers reaction and A-TYPICAL response of cagers when being stupid.  Anyway I am glad this is a good ending and not a wad up ending.  Lessons to be learned all the way around... ✌️

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

On 10/14/2017 at 9:13 AM, phyciocc said:

I like to back in to parking spots in case I need to make a speedy getaway. I can't tell you how many bank robberies I've safely gotten away from since I could just pull straight out and evade the authorities ;)

On a real note, the Army makes it a standard to park "tactically" by backing into a spot so everyone can roll out quickly by not having to wait for everyone to back out, so its just become how I park.

Gotcha, I wasn't sure which way to take you from the way it was worded but then again, I just had just woke up and still grasping for meaning to anything. I thought the square peg fit into the hole, daggummit! Coffee pot is finally empty and I'm now a GO! Try me again, ha! 😅

Beemer

6 minutes ago, Slug said:

I like to back in to parking spots in case I need to make a speedy getaway. I can't tell you how many bank robberies I've safely gotten away from since I could just pull straight out and evade the authorities ;)

On a real note, the Army makes it a standard to park "tactically" by backing into a spot so everyone can roll out quickly by not having to wait for everyone to back out, so its just become how I park.

Ever since the "Backwards Parking Incident" with the navy, no one parks their planes facing in any more. Quick get-away's are a must.

Beemer

1 hour ago, johnakay said:

you must've been to close to start with.no matter how slow you should be at least 2 or 3 car length for safe distance.

if you had been then you wouldn't have this problem.

I said I was about a car length behind him but that was inaccurate, I was actually about 2 car lengths behind him but after he jammed on his brakes it was about a car length between us when I came to a stop so no error on my part. Under normal circumstances you should have that much distance between you and the person in front of you but this is a special case where I did but he took that space away from me by reversing. The focus here is on the guy suddenly and illegally reversing in traffic, not that you could do too much to avoid someone reversing into you but at least you could brace for the impact or drop the bike and run, maybe. 

Think about this, what if I were three car lengths behind him when he stopped, reversed toward me and crashed into my bike. What would you say then, that people should stay six car lengths or more behind others or do you put the blame where it belongs and say that people like that are a danger to others no matter what they do to try and stay safe?

Beemer

1 hour ago, Beemer said:

Think about this, what if I were three car lengths behind him when he stopped, reversed toward me and crashed into my bike. What would you say then, that people should stay six car lengths or more behind others or do you put the blame where it belongs and say that people like that are a danger to others no matter what they do to try and stay safe?

I say you should have anticpated that one day a 747 b would fly over and when everyone looked up but you of course that the turtles crossing the road to get the chickens onthe other side would had never been in harms way.  So ya I blame the dumb bassturd that was getting checked out in the 10 or less line with 50 items, them bastids

It might have been Mario Andretti who said that if his car was struck by lightning during a race it would be his fault for being in a place where it could happen.

9 hours ago, Beemer said:

I said I was about a car length behind him but that was inaccurate, I was actually about 2 car lengths behind him but after he jammed on his brakes it was about a car length between us when I came to a stop so no error on my part. Under normal circumstances you should have that much distance between you and the person in front of you but this is a special case where I did but he took that space away from me by reversing. The focus here is on the guy suddenly and illegally reversing in traffic, not that you could do too much to avoid someone reversing into you but at least you could brace for the impact or drop the bike and run, maybe. 

I'm going to vote that the truck and anyone else who likes to back into parking spaces should just do it the same way you would if you were parallel parking on a busy street.  Stop next to the open space, PUT THEIR BLINKER ON, pull forward as far as needed and back in.  They didn't teach us in driver's ed to come to that first stop but I found it seems to give people a second to figure out "oh, he's gonna park in that space.  I better hang back here a second"

Archived