The MT-07 Forum

Gear indicator works intermittently on my 2015

c3tkeyo

Anyone else have this issue? Dealership said they hadn’t heard of anyone else having this problem. 

• Premium Member

Dirty speed sensor...it's located behind the front sprocket cover above the front sprocket...I pulled mine and wiped the sensor face off and the extra grease/oil outta the sensor hole...

• Like 3

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

On 10/11/2017 at 1:42 AM, c3tkeyo said:

Thanks man, I’ll clean it up this weekend.

What's the verdict?

Beemer

On 10/11/2017 at 12:56 PM, norcal616 said:

Dirty speed sensor...it's located behind the front sprocket cover above the front sprocket...I pulled mine and wiped the sensor face off and the extra grease/oil outta the sensor hole...

Do you have the picture of it?

• Premium Member

..its not that hard to locate it... its right behind the 2 upper bolts holding the sprocket covet in place... see yellow circle in picture... the bike in picture is an FJ-09, but location is darn near identical... and for the eagle eyed peeps, yes the green tube with red ish fluid is for an "auto oiler" which I know nothing about...

2017-10-18 16.29.45.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

Had the same issue before, dirty sensor. It's doing it again, so need I to go back and clean it again. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven’t gotten to it yet, been traveling a ton for work. Next rainy weekend it’s on the list, which should be soon since I live in Portland

• 4 weeks later...

Should have asked this before but how exactly do I clean it properly? Didn’t want to unscrew it since I wasn’t sure what would potentially come pouring out. 

Front sprocket and chain guide guide are clean now at least

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, c3tkeyo said:

Should have asked this before but how exactly do I clean it properly? Didn’t want to unscrew it since I wasn’t sure what would potentially come pouring out. 

Front sprocket and chain guide guide are clean now at least

nothing will "pour out"...maybe a few dribbles of oil... 

I take a clean clean rag and wipe out the sensor housing hole, then use another clean clean part of the rag to wipe the sensor face off... I then put a thin gloss coat of the clear grease across the sensor face... 

I should have taken a few more pics last year but I haven't done it yet on my FJ-09, so I just may wander over to the garage and do it 🙈 for some pictures

• Like 1

Is that a speed sensor ( for the speedo) or a gear position sensor? I'm not understand how a speed sensor would have any bearing on the gear position indicator. I mean, the gear position will change regardless if you are rolling or not. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, shinyribs said:

Is that a speed sensor ( for the speedo) or a gear position sensor? I'm not understand how a speed sensor would have any bearing on the gear position indicator. I mean, the gear position will change regardless if you are rolling or not. 

It's the gear position sensor... the speed signal wire is located under the starter area...gotta find  my posting on that...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm having the exact same problem! 2015 FZ-07 with 10k miles on it, 4th gear either disappears from the dash or it flashes on/off - and it happens only when in 4th.

I just had the bike serviced over the weekend and they said there's no diagnostics they can run at this point, other than throwing parts at it, but they said that'd be dumb.

They also mentioned something about this bike having issues with MPG dropping after a while, but that's off-topic (though the real reason I came to search the boards today, still interesting to see someone else having the same issue with 4th gear)

• 11 months later...

Now all gears don't show, only occasionally do I get the gear indicator. I've cleaned it a few times, doesn't seem to help at all. 

It looks like Yamaha calls that "Neutral Switch Assy" instead of gear position sensor or whatnot. It's $40 from Partzilla, so not too awful expensive if it needs replacing. 

WWW.PARTZILLA.COM

Buy OEM Parts for Yamaha Motorcycle 2016 Electrical - 2 Diagram

Edited by shinyribs

• 6 months later...
On 4/27/2018 at 1:19 PM, chaotic680 said:

I'm having the exact same problem! 2015 FZ-07 with 10k miles on it, 4th gear either disappears from the dash or it flashes on/off - and it happens only when in 4th.

I just had the bike serviced over the weekend and they said there's no diagnostics they can run at this point, other than throwing parts at it, but they said that'd be dumb.

They also mentioned something about this bike having issues with MPG dropping after a while, but that's off-topic (though the real reason I came to search the boards today, still interesting to see someone else having the same issue with 4th gear)

I removed the sensor and sanded down the contact points with 600 grit sand paper and reinstalled. Works like a champ now, took 10 minutes tops to fix it. Found a good video on YouTube

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

If you're still under warranty, the shop should just replace it

I think I've had mine replaced like 4-5 times

But recently just used some ultrafine grit sandpaper 5-8k and hasn't had an issue since 

14 hours ago, c3tkeyo said:

I removed the sensor and sanded down the contact points with 600 grit sand paper and reinstalled. Works like a champ now, took 10 minutes tops to fix it. Found a good video on YouTube

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, c3tkeyo said:

Found a good video on YouTube

Where's the video at? :P

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive this topic, but i have the same problem too. Gear indicator randomly dissapears, its not steady, some days it stays on some other it dissapears. Also lately the neutral light 'N' is not lighting too. I did the trick with the sanding paper 2 times total but with no avail the problem is still there. Finally do i need to replace the neutral cable assy with a new one?

• Premium Member

My 2015 FZ-07 has had this gear indicator problem for about two years. It's been about the same level of blank gear display, hasn't got any worse. I can't really tell if it's related to heat or speed. Sometimes it displays fine. I'm not going to clean it or replace it.

9 hours ago, maybe07 said:

My 2015 FZ-07 has had this gear indicator problem for about two years. It's been about the same level of blank gear display, hasn't got any worse. I can't really tell if it's related to heat or speed. Sometimes it displays fine. I'm not going to clean it or replace it.

Yeah i guess i'm already used to no gear indicator but no neutral light is kinda pissing me off because i have to always check with the clutch if the bike is in neutral. Might go to the service guys and tell them.