blackout

Project FZ Supertwin

5 minutes ago, mossrider said:

So how'd it go? Report. Fairings look great. Happy with bike? Glass? Going fast(ish) is jawsome ain't it?

Went well.  Fairings are working great.  I like the GP shift pattern much better than standard.  The shift light is awesome in that I do not need to look at the gauges to know when to shift.  The bike feels great and I continue to love the 07 powerplant.  How fast?  I think I'm good for a novice.  The day was drizzle rain most of the day,  with some sessions quite wet and some almost dry.  The one session that would have been wet enough for full race wets, my S21 tires did marvelous.  I was first in line behind the coach and was able to ride the whole session with no problems and it was so much fun riding in the rain.  The windscreen pushed most of the rain over me.  When the session was over, the coach and I exited the track, I looked back and no one was behind me.  It turns out they all quit early when the rain picked up during the session.  I was the only one who stuck it out.  I talked to one of the guys and he said his bike was loose.  I don't know, mine was rock solid through the wet.  He had Dunlop Q3+ tires, but those tires should be just as good as the S21's.  I'm hooked and hoping to go back ASAP.

4 hours ago, blackout said:

Went well.  Fairings are working great.  I like the GP shift pattern much better than standard.  The shift light is awesome in that I do not need to look at the gauges to know when to shift.  The bike feels great and I continue to love the 07 powerplant.  How fast?  I think I'm good for a novice.  The day was drizzle rain most of the day,  with some sessions quite wet and some almost dry.  The one session that would have been wet enough for full race wets, my S21 tires did marvelous.  I was first in line behind the coach and was able to ride the whole session with no problems and it was so much fun riding in the rain.  The windscreen pushed most of the rain over me.  When the session was over, the coach and I exited the track, I looked back and no one was behind me.  It turns out they all quit early when the rain picked up during the session.  I was the only one who stuck it out.  I talked to one of the guys and he said his bike was loose.  I don't know, mine was rock solid through the wet.  He had Dunlop Q3+ tires, but those tires should be just as good as the S21's.  I'm hooked and hoping to go back ASAP.

I had a rainy day down at the tail of the dragon in deals gap. I was absolutely impressed with the S21's also. I was running a brand new set with 1 track day on them. I was amazed with them, it was the first time I really pushed in the rain. 

On 6/7/2018 at 8:51 PM, blackout said:

What tire pressure were you running F/R? and did you adjust the psi between wet and dry laps?

5 hours ago, fzar said:

What tire pressure were you running F/R? and did you adjust the psi between wet and dry laps?

28 rear, cold and 30 front, cold.  I did not adjust between the wet and dry sessions.  I only used those pressures because they were recommended as a starting point.  I have not tested different tire pressures myself.

Posted (edited)

Just got back from two track days in a row at NYST.  Friday was the downtown direction and Saturday was uptown.  Sun and warm on Friday, wet and cool on Saturday.  The bike got real dirty racing in the rain and deserved a nice washing.  Saturday morning was mostly twins on the track and the afternoon was only twins, four of us.  Me, a FZ07R built by Andy Palmer, a Kawasaki 650 twin with inverted forks and a Penske double adjuster, and a Ducati 959.  We had the whole track for 2.5 hours and we ran the whole time with short breaks here and there.  It was a great time.  There was a fully prepped SV 650 in the morning, but he had a minor engine issue so packed up early.

0624180943-1.jpg

Edited by blackout