The MT-07 Forum

Project FZ Supertwin

blackout

1 hour ago, Evill_Ed said:

Moss, want is the maximum rpm you used to calculate top speed?

Based on your experience, will the 110 link chain with 16/45 put me between half and full axle travel?

I have think I used 10,000 for the calculations (I had redline set at 10,700) either way they're approximations and you need a strong motor to pull either to the rev limiter. 

I had 12.8° on V2's swinger and 13.2° on mine. With the right suspension setup she'd drive hard and early outta corners. 

If I remember correctly one tooth on front moved the axle on a 520 setup 3/8", each tooth on the rear was 1/4". 

I'm not sure but I think V2 worked the back half of the slot with those gears, mine worked the front half. We had different links, shocks and triples so it came out in the wash.

Edit, did a little cropping of pics

V2 closeup; (back half)

1697338555_IMG_20200505_1949342.thumb.jpg.a6e6cfaa323403ed965ba0e0a901e6c5.jpg

V1; (front half)

1518858725_IMG_20190327_1413262.thumb.jpg.ed94f2e64163b32ba01669c9b66c1db3.jpg

• Like 2

Joaoduarte

The rear sprocket 45 that you use for the track is to give a good balance of torque and speed? Or sometimes (depending on the track a 43 can be more useful?). 

12 hours ago, Joaoduarte said:

The rear sprocket 45 that you use for the track is to give a good balance of torque and speed? Or sometimes (depending on the track a 43 can be more useful?). 

Correct.

We had 15, 16, 17, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 & 49's to mess with. That is one of probably 10 pages of gearing notes from all the tracks we ran.

We also had premade chains in different lengths to swap out. Gearing is kinda half science, half feel and half juju. We routinely ran different sprockets but near identical final gearing because we were sharing sprockets and of course couldn't use the same sprockets at the same time lol. 

There are a myriad of factors that go into gear choice. Long track or short? Elevation or flat, tight or flowing, draft or no, shifting at lean or on straights, left turn shifting or right, using 5 gears or 6 (gear taller and forsake 6th making top gear 5th), fewer shifts per lap, location of shifts, pull out of turns, do I have any over rev to use, etc. 

Apologies to blackout for hijacking his thread. 😊

• Like 4

Joaoduarte

That is really good informatio for people who wants to know more, or start messing a bit. Thank you!