The MT-07 Forum

Project FZ Supertwin

blackout

On 6/5/2018 at 10:20 PM, blackout said:

Two more....

nyst6-3-18-2.jpg

nyst6-3-18-3.jpg

So how'd it go? Report. Fairings look great. Happy with bike? Glass? Going fast(ish) is jawsome ain't it?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, mossrider said:

So how'd it go? Report. Fairings look great. Happy with bike? Glass? Going fast(ish) is jawsome ain't it?

Went well.  Fairings are working great.  I like the GP shift pattern much better than standard.  The shift light is awesome in that I do not need to look at the gauges to know when to shift.  The bike feels great and I continue to love the 07 powerplant.  How fast?  I think I'm good for a novice.  The day was drizzle rain most of the day,  with some sessions quite wet and some almost dry.  The one session that would have been wet enough for full race wets, my S21 tires did marvelous.  I was first in line behind the coach and was able to ride the whole session with no problems and it was so much fun riding in the rain.  The windscreen pushed most of the rain over me.  When the session was over, the coach and I exited the track, I looked back and no one was behind me.  It turns out they all quit early when the rain picked up during the session.  I was the only one who stuck it out.  I talked to one of the guys and he said his bike was loose.  I don't know, mine was rock solid through the wet.  He had Dunlop Q3+ tires, but those tires should be just as good as the S21's.  I'm hooked and hoping to go back ASAP.

• Like 4

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

4 hours ago, blackout said:

Went well.  Fairings are working great.  I like the GP shift pattern much better than standard.  The shift light is awesome in that I do not need to look at the gauges to know when to shift.  The bike feels great and I continue to love the 07 powerplant.  How fast?  I think I'm good for a novice.  The day was drizzle rain most of the day,  with some sessions quite wet and some almost dry.  The one session that would have been wet enough for full race wets, my S21 tires did marvelous.  I was first in line behind the coach and was able to ride the whole session with no problems and it was so much fun riding in the rain.  The windscreen pushed most of the rain over me.  When the session was over, the coach and I exited the track, I looked back and no one was behind me.  It turns out they all quit early when the rain picked up during the session.  I was the only one who stuck it out.  I talked to one of the guys and he said his bike was loose.  I don't know, mine was rock solid through the wet.  He had Dunlop Q3+ tires, but those tires should be just as good as the S21's.  I'm hooked and hoping to go back ASAP.

I had a rainy day down at the tail of the dragon in deals gap. I was absolutely impressed with the S21's also. I was running a brand new set with 1 track day on them. I was amazed with them, it was the first time I really pushed in the rain. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Safety wire is now required on the oil drain plug and oil filter at NYST.   A .0625" cobalt drill bit and a little cutting fluid did the trick.

0611181908.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Painting done.  I got better shooting the paint each time.  Takes practice like most things.

0615180820-1.jpg

• Like 3

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
On 6/7/2018 at 8:51 PM, blackout said:

What tire pressure were you running F/R? and did you adjust the psi between wet and dry laps?

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, fzar said:

What tire pressure were you running F/R? and did you adjust the psi between wet and dry laps?

28 rear, cold and 30 front, cold.  I did not adjust between the wet and dry sessions.  I only used those pressures because they were recommended as a starting point.  I have not tested different tire pressures myself.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Just got back from two track days in a row at NYST.  Friday was the downtown direction and Saturday was uptown.  Sun and warm on Friday, wet and cool on Saturday.  The bike got real dirty racing in the rain and deserved a nice washing.  Saturday morning was mostly twins on the track and the afternoon was only twins, four of us.  Me, a FZ07R built by Andy Palmer, a Kawasaki 650 twin with inverted forks and a Penske double adjuster, and a Ducati 959.  We had the whole track for 2.5 hours and we ran the whole time with short breaks here and there.  It was a great time.  There was a fully prepped SV 650 in the morning, but he had a minor engine issue so packed up early.

0624180943-1.jpg

Edited by blackout
  • Like 4

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Techspec Snake Skin tank grips are on.  

0708182018a.jpg

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 10 months later...

@blackoutCan you share the specs on what you used to mount the lower fairing?  I want to track my 07, but don't want to go the full fairing route.  I have an R6 lower fairing as a donor, so willing to use that and make it work.  Your mounts look super clean, so I'd gladly buy a set from you, but can make as necessary.  Thanks in advance!

• Premium Member
On 6/5/2019 at 3:45 PM, ajpags said:

@blackoutCan you share the specs on what you used to mount the lower fairing?  I want to track my 07, but don't want to go the full fairing route.  I have an R6 lower fairing as a donor, so willing to use that and make it work.  Your mounts look super clean, so I'd gladly buy a set from you, but can make as necessary.  Thanks in advance!

I bent pieces of 1/8" thick aluminum flat stock.  It's nothing I can duplicate easy without taking fairings off, which is not something I have time to do right now.  

When bending aluminum anneal using a propane torch to reduce chances of cracks.  Wipe bar soap on the area to bend.  When the soap turns brown the aluminum is hot enough.  Let cool and then make your bend.

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 2 months later...
On 1/9/2018 at 8:53 AM, blackout said:

I started lengthening the right fairing side.  Foam was a quick way to mold the correct shape.  A coat of mold release wax kept the epoxy resin from adhearing to the foam.  I still need to use some epoxy filler to smooth the surface.

0105181225-1.jpg

0105181347-1.jpg

0109180724a-1.jpg

So you just layed the foam down and layed the new fiberglass sheet for extension onto the back side with resin . That's all at takes to extend ?

I just received my r6 kit and I don't see how you was able to tip the lower fairing up against the bike. My headers almost hit the inner bottom side .AnD for the upper I'm having handle bar hitting the windscreen mounts.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Awscheetz said:

So you just layed the foam down and layed the new fiberglass sheet for extension onto the back side with resin . That's all at takes to extend ?

I just received my r6 kit and I don't see how you was able to tip the lower fairing up against the bike. My headers almost hit the inner bottom side .AnD for the upper I'm having handle bar hitting the windscreen mounts.

Yes, just position the shaped foam where you want it.  Add mold release and then lay glassing.

Clearance is close with the exhaust.  Might be different depending on your specific exhaust.  Woodcraft clipons are needed to get the bars low enough to clear the upper fairing.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 1 month later...

Love the build !. I have a less involved build elsewhere on the forum which i initially retired and was going to sell but have now decided to keep it and race it next year . I am very interested in your upper fairing mount that you machined up to bolt around the steering head . I am going to fit a Triumph 675 race upper but need an upper main stay . Any chance you'd fab one up for me at a fair price ?. There is an increasing number of FZ07's heading to the track so i'm sure there is a market for an upper fairing stay that could be adapted to various different fairings .

If you can help let me know - if not , thanks for reading .

fzo7 track day 003.JPG

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, prospeed44 said:

Love the build !. I have a less involved build elsewhere on the forum which i initially retired and was going to sell but have now decided to keep it and race it next year . I am very interested in your upper fairing mount that you machined up to bolt around the steering head . I am going to fit a Triumph 675 race upper but need an upper main stay . Any chance you'd fab one up for me at a fair price ?. There is an increasing number of FZ07's heading to the track so i'm sure there is a market for an upper fairing stay that could be adapted to various different fairings .

If you can help let me know - if not , thanks for reading .

fzo7 track day 003.JPG

Thanks for the kind words!  

A Triumph upper sounds cool.  Should be a good match width wise.

Sure wish I had the time to machine some of these parts for sale, but at this time, I do not.

Take a look at Shark Skinz bodywork.  I think they have 07R body work and might sell a fairing stay.  Andy Palmer is an obvious option as well, but a busy guy to get certain parts I hear.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Premium Member
On 10/14/2017 at 4:04 PM, blackout said:

This should provide a strong attachment point for the fairing stay.

1014171657.jpg

I could do with one of those, the steering stop block thing. The lock on my bike is way too much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joaoduarte said:

What gearing do you use on those fz07R builds?

Here's a shot of some of my notes;

IMG_20200524_112243054.thumb.jpg.5ba570ecb4f15405471cc5f5788fc78c.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mossrider said:

That’s saved everyone time with pencil, paper and calculator.

M. Hausknecht

Except at tracks like Road Atlanta, Road America, and Daytona, 15 by 43-45 cause I'm a bit lazy. Sixth seems always tall enough so the determining factors are wheelbase and being in the meat of the power band exiting the key corners. For the tracks with really long straights or where I want a shorter wheelbase (14;43 is pretty long), use a 16. All with 520 chain of course.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, mossrider said:

IMG_20200524_112243054.thumb.jpg.5ba570ecb4f15405471cc5f5788fc78c.jpg

Moss, want is the maximum rpm you used to calculate top speed?

i need to move my rear axle back further in the swing arm, so was thinking 16/45 with 110 links. My swing arm angle is steep with the AP dog bone and K-Tech Razor RR. I’ve been running a Q4 180/60/17 but it is slightly rubbing my Akrapovic exhaust at times. I can’t mo e the rear axle back any further and maintain the needed chain slack for suspension travel.

Based on your experience, will the 110 link chain with 16/45 put me between half and full axle travel?

Ed673D4883-6735-4FF4-BF86-36347C32AD55.thumb.jpeg.bc462975c7784d2305741ac74f6c92e0.jpeg

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good"