The MT-07 Forum

Project FZ Supertwin

blackout

• Premium Member

The right side panel is on.  Still some final fitting, but I'll move on to the left panel. April 29th is my goal for finishing as that is opening day for NYST.

0204181905-1.jpg

0204181903a-1.jpg

• Like 5

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

The space I need to fill in on the left side.

0207181145.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I'm using Denali DM lights.  Much cheaper than factory and I mostly ride during the day.  The Zero Gravity windscreen fit nicely on the Hotbodies fairing.

0218181917-1.jpg

• Like 2

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Because the R6 bodywork is wider than the 07R bodywork I adapted 99-02 SV650 Woodcraft sliders.  I had to drill out the 10mm hole to 12mm and open up the center of the slider base to a full .75" with a long reach endmill.

0225181659-1.jpg

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Global Moderator

@blackout

I truly wish i had the time to learn all of the skills you're using for this project.. i have the mechanical skill needed... just not any of the fabrication that i see you doing.... great job so far dude

• Like 2

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

17 hours ago, sorkyah said:

@blackout

I truly wish i had the time to learn all of the skills you're using for this project.. i have the mechanical skill needed... just not any of the fabrication that i see you doing.... great job so far dude

^This, absolutely this.

• Like 1

Something you might want to try. There is a relatively new fibre called innegra. It is lighter and way more flexible than glass ( and only slightly heavier than carbon but not as brittle).

It doesn't finish well so is best mixed with glass cloth in the inter layers so you don't have to try and put a finish on it ( you can't).

It makes glass or carbon layups way less likely to shatter or crack and can help a fairing stay in one piece after a crash so you can finish a race. You must use epoxy though

• Like 1

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

It got really busy at my work, and I'm running out of time to finish for some spring track days.  So, the cold air intake will wait till summer.  I purchased the track proven Hordpower intake and sometimes it's so nice to just bolt stuff on. :)  But since I can never leave well enough alone, I added two bends in the Hord bracket to raise the filter a little to give more clearance with the shock.  I used a propane torch to heat where the bend needs to go to pull some temper out of the aluminum.  It doesn't take much heat and you let cool before bending.  You can rub white bar soap on the aluminum before heating and when the soap turns brown you have heated the aluminum enough.  This makes the bending easier and less likely to crack.   

0307181918c-1.jpg

0307181920-1.jpg

Edited by blackout
  • Like 2

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Proceeding nicely. Which model r6 does the fairing you used come from? I might try and do similar for the street as the air inlet will help position a headlight assembly.

• Like 1

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, gregjet said:

Proceeding nicely. Which model r6 does the fairing you used come from? I might try and do similar for the street as the air inlet will help position a headlight assembly.

2017 R6.  It's from Hotbodies, but many other options available.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I'm modding the stock tank bodywork and need to glass in this hole.  I drilled .125" holes in the plastic to help the epoxy adhere to it.  Plastic is the one thing that has questionable adhesion.  The holes act as epoxy rivets.

0331181902a-1.jpg

0401181232-1.jpg

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

My lower fairing bracket interfered with the stock coolant over flow tank, so I fabbed a bracket for the universal 275cc Motion Pro coolant tank.  It turned out pretty good.

0414181358-1.jpg

0414181357-1.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

The green wire is the shift light signal.  I took the time to solder it directly to the crank shaft position sensor connector that is located on the left side, below the gas tank.

0414181603-1.jpg

0414181609-1.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

The right panel with the glassing added to protect the ECU.  Odd tank shape, but works.  Will look better once painted one color.

0414182058-1.jpg

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Turn signals go where the mirrors went on the R6.  I'm happy with my bar end mirrors, they are real easy to take off for track days.

0414182059-1.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

The Healtech shift light pro mounted.  And triangulated support tubes to keep the windscreen stable at speeds.

0414182058a-1.jpg

0414182058b-1.jpg

• Like 4

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

R&G engine and track protection....

Edit:  The covers fit nicely with only one issue and one note.  The only issue was that one of the inside aluminum spacers needed a slight filing to fit correctly within the cover.  It was an easy fix.  The one note is that the right side cover supposedly needed to use the supplied washers to reduce thread depth into the engine and prevent bolt bottoming.  (I'm assuming this is R&G's reason for the washers on the one side.)  Well, one of the washer's o.d. was too large to fit properly on the cover, so I investigated further and found thread depth was not an issue at all.  I threaded the R&G fasteners in by hand, with no cover installed, and measured .300" - .320" with the dial calipers.  The spacers mounted on the cover measured .500" long, so .200" of clearance is available before the bolts will bottom.

0415181644-1.jpg

0415181645a-1.jpg

Edited by blackout
  • Like 2

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

With my rear raised up with a shorter suspension link I felt I needed a longer kickstand.  Especially since I'm always parking in grass.  I machined this aluminum .375" spacer.

0430181937-1.jpg

0430181944-1.jpg

• Like 2

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

I rode to work in primer.  I like the GP shift pattern.  Now I need to get to the track.  I will find time to paint the fairings this season, but riding takes priority.

0508181255-1.jpg

• Like 7

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

It rained a couple days so I painted both side panels.  I'm a new painter so it only turned out o.k., but good enough for me.  I used an epoxy paint from Klass Kote.  Much easier to touch up than base coat, clear coat.  Fairings will be all black.

0515181946-1.jpg

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

You got beach balls my friend. This has been a shet ton of work but theres no better way to learn. When you initially asked about this project I forgot you'd be dealing with stock bars instead of clip ons. More work but you've nailed it! I realy like this. Love to see folks jump in the deep end and figure things out. Sure there's easier or faster or cheaper ways to do things but that's not what it's always about. Mmmm, hard way, Luv it! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Going to NYST this Sunday....  Painted the upper last night.  I still need to do the tank fairings.   Sometime after the track day.

0530180616-1.jpg

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

From the New York Safety Track this past Sunday.  All went well.  Got some rain experience in the afternoon.  The windscreen did well directing much of the rain off of me.

FB_IMG_1528215035180.jpg

Edited by blackout
  • Like 7

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Two more....

nyst6-3-18-2.jpg

nyst6-3-18-3.jpg

• Like 6

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York