The MT-07 Forum

Power Commander V Map...

Cypress

After being merged into one-too-many times, I decided my FZ07 was too quiet. Being a cheap bastard, I did the six-hole exhaust mod (drill 6 holes into the muffler around the exhaust output) and a snorkel mod with a K&N filter. In order to deal with any changes in the fueling, I installed a PCV and called them to ask which map I should be using. The guy said he didn't know, and to run the map for a full race exhaust with snorkel mod. The bike is mildly "faster", but it still dies off a bit after 8K RPM. My flat-land top speed in a full tuck behind a Puig windscreen is 123 mph at sea level, which seems a bit odd considering I could hit that when it was stock. The absolute best 0-60 time I have ever done was 4.7 s, with 185 pounds of rider/gear.  On the plus side, I'm now getting 63+ mpg if I'm riding like the wife is watching, and ~57 mpg if I'm being "jolly". Engine temps didn't seem to change much. 

Is anybody else running this budget setup? If so, which map is best? I'd like to avoid taking it to a tuner, as it runs great and the fuel economy is easy to swallow, but I'd trade a a few mpg's for a bit more zap... 

Sorry for a drawn-out first post.

It's questionable whether drilling your standard exhaust will increase our decrease power. Yes, it will make louder noises, but it may not alter gas flow in a beneficial way.

I have a full system (Akra), snorkel removed and PCV and it gives a good gain in performance over stock.

You may better off trying a map for standard exhaust and snorkel removed.

4 minutes ago, stickshift said:

You may better off trying a map for standard exhaust and snorkel removed.

I'll give that a whirl and see what comes from it. Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

What I've come to learn about this bike and PCV maps is that the PCV maps are just a generic baseline map to get you close. There are many variables that go into tuning IE air temp, altitude, humidity etc. Dynojet's facility is in Nevada so being in a different location than that, the map will not be correct. It's a start but not precise. I ran their DNA filter and Akra Ti map on mine and it was way off. I had a huge flat spot after about 5 to 6000rpm it just felt dead. Seeing as how I don't have any dyno shops near me I opted to fit the autotune on mine with the removal of the stock O2 sensor. I made a map with AFR's ranging from 13.5 in the cruising zone to 13.2 and 13.1 on the top end and after a few rides to let autotune correct the map, my bike became a beast. Now I'm not saying go out and buy an autotune that's purely up to you, but I would say at least paying for a dyno session with the use of a wideband O2 sensor or sniffer would get you the best running map you could get.

I would try stickshift's recommendation first and see what happens before jumping in the large rabbit hole of tuning. Good luck!!!

You could look at the Graves map and set your ignition advances to what Graves did in their tune, just be sure to run premium gas afterwards just Incase. Ask someone if that will hurt the bike , maybe JD @ Hordpower could tell you if that would hurt or not.

2nd 💭 after pondering what you said for a moment: the map running for a full race exhaust on your bike with a stock exhaust will probably be a little rich because the PCV may..MAY be adding more fuel than needed so even with a high flow filter your AFR could be back to what it was @ stock fueling (12.0 to 12.5 afr) and yours is  just not moving enough air  the bike , more air coming in still needs to get out and still needs to be achieving proper AFR under load to get some more power up top.

I do not run a PCV but I have experimented with many airbox DIY mods with a drilled exhaust on a stock ecu and with my EJK controller. The only noticeable nice top end gain I got out of many combinations of adding fuel, subtracting fuel, and air filter configurations was when I completely remove the snorkel , snorkel plate, AND the airfilter itself and added some fuel on the high load and accel settings for my controller.  ( it was a pretty massive gain in midrange and top end on the butt o meter and pulled like a train) 

I can echo Stickshifts comment and suggest you use the map for just the snorkel removed. W/ stock exhaust because it’s really the exhaust holding back the extra power you are after with your current setup. If dynojet has a map for a DNA airfilter + DNA lid i would give that a try also if you remove the snorkel and the snorkel plate because with a K&N and the top all off of it, based on some testing I did you get a lot of flow without all that shet on top of the airfilter and is currently how I’m running my bike that has a drilled exhaust (7 holes of different diamete) , stock air filter, and all the stuff not on top. 

Archived