The MT-07 Forum

Why do people waste FZ07 tech tips on Facebook?

Cruizin

When ya post something in a Facebook group, it's only seen for like an hour or two. It only helps the people who happened to see it during those two hours, then it's buried and lost. 

When you post it here on the forum, it get's seen by thousands of people for years and years. If it gets popular (many of our posts do), it shows up in google search results worldwide, because this forum has alot of good SEO. 

Please, if you have something important or cool to share about the FZ07, post it where it will get seen for a long time, here on fz07.org.

I even set this forum up so that people can use their phones, and you can even register and login with your Facebook login. 

Why in the heck do so many people use Facebook as a motorcycle group? Everything gets lost and buried forever in hours. 

I have a page and a group for the forum, to let poeple know that we are here. But other than that, I avoid Facebook like the plague.

The other fz07 facebook group is all about one thing. Wheelies. oh, and accidents. lots and lots of accidents reported in that fz07 group. 

A great group of kids, I just wonder why they only post on facebook. Does the younger generation not now how to use the internet outside of Facebook? 

• Premium Member

I agree 100%.  Facebook does not work well for long term tech. 

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

FB is an oxymoron.  It appeals to a dystopian generation of who have no capability of human communication.  Sit at a public place and view the madness of sheeple using phones to talk to cycberspace than each other.  Or a resteraunt when conversation used to be bidirectional is now one person talking the other starring at the phones.  Many use it to connect with old freinds, school chums and family but as with Cruisin it is a generational thing.  As for a Motorcycle forum or better any forum it is not.  So much is lost in transalations you cant keep track of anything other than the last 4 minutes of HEY WATCH ME or pictures of what peope are eating or finger nails, selfies etc, I mean shet your fugly no amount of makup or nail length fixes fugly.

I am not on Facebutt I mean faceles I mean I am not on that simply because it makes me feel sub human

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

14 hours ago, Cruizin said:

I have a page and a group for the forum, to let poeple know that we are here. But other than that, I avoid Facebook like the plague.

The other fz07 facebook group is all about one thing. Wheelies. oh, and accidents. lots and lots of accidents reported in that fz07 group. 

A great group of kids, I just wonder why they only post on facebook. Does the younger generation not now how to use the internet outside of Facebook? 

They tend to flock as trained. Rarely do you find a black sheep that thinks for itself and dares to wander and explore.

Beemer

When they eventually merge YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook together, there will finally be a centralized mobile app called "YouTwitFace".

I was tortured by the Japanese during the war, Jack. Not a pretty story. Strange thing is they make such bloody good cameras.

Facebook is a useful tool but has specific limitations that a lot of people just do understand. Instantaneous and short term notification is it's forte. If you want anything to last(ish) and be found easily them a forum is the most useful.

I have the same problem with our MTB club . They have pretty much dumped the site and everything is on facebook. They then wonder why no one sees the posts as they get lost under later posted stuff.

Try and tell the young kids of today and they just won't believe ya...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

12 minutes ago, rick said:

Sorry, but what's Facebook

Not sure if you're serious, but it's a horrible online anti-social social media website.  Google it, but stay away unless you have an old priest and a young priest with you (or a freshly killed chicken/cat/snake).

I've said it before, but I won't ever have a Facebook.  People tend to be so much nicer in person when they know you can reach their throat...

Facebook is a place to ask how to do wheelies, then post videos showing off your wheelies, and then within three months post how you just laid your bike down and am waiting on the insurance check.  Seriously, this is what I read on the alot of the bike groups on Facebook whenever I visit. 

Rinse and repeat. 

• Premium Member

Sadly, I have to use it for work promotion. and to answer your question, NO kids these days dont have any F-ing idea how to interact outside of FB.

Some ultra useless millennial dropped off a...well, lets call it a 'resume', at our shop yesterday and two of her three references contact info (one was a DJ, haha ffs) was listed simply as "facebook".  F*K MY LIFE!  We're all doomed man. ALL DOOMED!!!  

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

41 minutes ago, Mr.Puss said:

Sadly, I have to use it for work promotion. and to answer your question, NO kids these days dont have any F-ing idea how to interact outside of FB.

Some ultra useless millennial dropped off a...well, lets call it a 'resume', at our shop yesterday and two of her three references contact info (one was a DJ, haha ffs) was listed simply as "facebook".  F*K MY LIFE!  We're all doomed man. ALL DOOMED!!!  

Contact info was Facebook? Seriously!? That's the first time I've ever come across that....

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, digitalsteve said:

Contact info was Facebook? Seriously!? That's the first time I've ever come across that....

Yes, seriously, and its a first for us too. The FB references was just the tip of the mountain on this one. Oy vey!

My wife and I have been pondering humanity's future or lack thereof ever since. 😆

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

11 hours ago, rider said:

Not sure if you're serious, but it's a horrible online anti-social social media website.  Google it, but stay away unless you have an old priest and a young priest with you (or a freshly killed chicken/cat/snake).

I've said it before, but I won't ever have a Facebook.  People tend to be so much nicer in person when they know you can reach their throat...

Its a pawn of the Russians lead by a thief who dropped out of college

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I'm not a FB fan - haven't been for a long time. Had an account for 6 months or so, before I saw the beginnings of the change, and then I couldn't abide (as The Dude says). But for it's core design and initial purpose, it made a lot of sense: stay in contact with friends and acquaintances (pictures of kids, holiday photos, etc.). It was great for that, but it never could stay that way due to human nature and social expectations/norms. AND the basic nature of corporations: grow, grow, grow and devour all that will yield, maximizing financial potential. Needless to say, the human expectations part was exploded and compromised to the nth degree (with people feeling that "have" to respond), and then it just became the behavioral norm for young people at the time.

It's flattened out young people's sense of what friends are: instead of a small group of people who you are very close to (deep) and actually see in person, they have hundreds of "friends" whose only contact is electronic and virtual (shallow). These friends literally could be robots or AI - there is no need for actual humans to fulfill those roles. For those of us with a little gray hair, this is a completely F'd up road that they're going down.

Then it became a "news outlet" and the destruction in earnest began. These are young people, by and large, and they haven't developed a sense of BS yet - read it on FB, or liked a million times, or sent by my friends on FB, or "gone viral" on FB, THEN IT MUST BE TRUE!!! This is bad, very bad, and opens up their psyche's and motivations to nefarious characters in Russia, or Uzbekistan, or wherever, who may wish to manipulate them and culture in general.

I listened to a podcast the other day with a techno-ethicist, Tristan Harris, who has worked for FB and Google and others. He told about the algorithms and intentional behavior that is done to keep you on the site and make sure you'll come back. Basically they are leveraging the psychic "chinks in the armor" of these people to force their hands and behaviors. Amazing stuff, and a lot of it is completely AI - without human oversite, so it can get more and more destructive automatically as it modifies sites aspects to maximize clicks and site time. For instance, there is a delay when showing "likes" when someone has posted a picture. This delay is intentional to keep you on the edge . . . how many likes do I have now. Just like a slot machine. Intentional, and this is just one of the things of hundreds that are designed to manipulate behavior.

However powerful the internet is and mobile phones are, and the incredible positives to them, on balance, in the end, we'll see that it was the beginning of the end. It's destabilizing our society, and the world. It's given outliers the ability to shout such that everyone has to listen, and the ramifications of that are profound. Think of the voice given to ISIS and it's effects. Think of Russia manipulating our democratic process - they have and are doing this in other countries as well. Think of the generally poor ability of people to discriminate information and have a fairly large BS pile of discarded information and balance that with the very smart, very capable groups who will take advantage of it. Things have been destabilized, and for how many wonderful positives there are to both those technologies, in the end, we'll see that there was a sharp shift in the graphs and that's where the trouble really started.

I'm an engineer, but also work one day a week in the shop at REI to keep in touch and get hands on with bikes and skis and things. 15 years now. When I started people in the break room talked, got to know each other and kicked around ideas and sometimes argued. Now, without a doubt, when I walk in there, everyone (expect half of those with gray hair) is looking at their phones. Silence. You can't deny the social shift that has taken place, one that defies the thousands of years of human behavior, and our instinctual norms, before it. This is a massive change that cannot be denied.

It will be very interesting to see where it leads, but it's going to be a bumpy ride, my friends.

Like all tools, it gets misused.

I have a liking for FB because I found many friends I hadn't seen for years AND my daughter who I hadn't seen for decades.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived