The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 Engine Braking

bornagainbiker

FZ-07 Engine Braking  

52 members have voted

1. 1. How do You Feel About the FZ-07 Engine Braking?

• I like it.
    • I don't like it.
    • I don't care one way or the other.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

The FZ-07 has very pronounced engine braking and I for one like it.  It gives you an alternate  way to slow down when hard braking isn't required.  How do you feel about the FZ's engine braking?

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

I like it because I'd gotten used to that over 25 years before my FZ-07 when I rode 600cc Thumpers for dirt bikes and dual-purpose bikes.

I use to like it too after I got use to it, then......  I got a flash by 2WDW.

If you get a chance to ride a FZ that has been flashed by 2WDW, take it. There are two thing that are in your face by the time you hit 4th gear on your first ride, 1) how smooth the power delivery is, and 2) how the engine breaking has been reduced by at least 50%.

My $0.02 now is that not only does the FZ-07's engine breaking suck, it's flat out dangerous especially for the newbie!

I also liked the engine braking . . . until I got the flash, then you feel that it's not what you want. Use your brakes to slow and modulate speed as engine braking is strong and has an on/off character. Once you ride a flashed bike, you're almost certainly going to appreciate the "coasting" feeling of the revised engine braking, opening up your abillity to brake to modify speed.

No joke. It's a big difference, and a good one.

cOMj3.gif

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I bought and installed the FT Flash Tune specifically to get rid of it! One of my favorite upgrades yet...👍

10 hours ago, YZEtc said:

I like it because I'd gotten used to that over 25 years before my FZ-07 when I rode 600cc Thumpers for dirt bikes and dual-purpose bikes.

Ditto. 

Liking or disliking it probably has a lot to do with personal riding style and the area someone rides in. 

I am not very knowledgeable on fuel injection systems, but I've been researching all the tuning options. I recently installed Arrow's X-Kone exhaust system on my bike (stock ecu) and was surprised to find engine breaking seemed to be reduced. Rode it for a couple hours and decided that what I was feeling wasn't a fluke. The next day I pulled the baffle out and noticed that engine braking was reduced even further. It's got me wondering how much of the engine braking we are feeling is part of the "tune",or if it is also tied to the stock exhaust system somehow.

I have had my FZ for 2 weeks now and really don't like the engine braking. I am a truck driver and rarely us the Jake brake...

So this winter I will be getting a new exhaust and a flash..

Because I prefer more gentle engine braking, I swapped my sprockets out.
It'll allow the engine to rev lower.

If you're not fond of engine braking, I would recommend to not shift up until you're between the 1500-2000RPM range, where engine braking is more gentle.

I adjusted when I downshift and the technique slightly and it's no longer an issue for me. Just a matter of getting used to the bike.

Getting an ECU flash or whatever it is (can't say I 100% understand it) worries me some, especially on a new bike. Stock replacement ECU can't be cheap and I'd hate to be stranded or sitting at home waiting on parts for a brand new bike or cause engine damage somehow because someone made a mistake.

I'm in the "don't care" category. I'll ride her stock for quite a while I'm sure. Just some cosmetic upgrades here and there.

A flash is not gonna damage your ECU ( if done by a rep. person). All it does is change some tables and variables in the mapping tables for the very much better in the case of the FZ/MT. The big thing from a reflash is how much smoother the engine response is.

If you have ridden a bike with a slipper you will appreciate how much more control you get WITHOUT engine braking. Bloody dear route though.  It's one of the reasons two strokes hold a big place in many peoples hearts ( stuff all engine braking).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Actually a flash can damage it, but it's not supposed to - just like flashing firmware, not supposed to, but it can. I've flashed many firmware in my day, and all but a few were not a problem.

The likelihood you can have one bricked during reflash is low, but it can happen. How it changes the tables and info is by zapping this "non-volatile" ROM with voltage and getting them to the proper 1's or 0's to reflect the new information. The ECU is designed to have this happen, but not in a regular way - most get a single blast and are good for life. Some get a second for one reason or another, but the more you do it, the higher the likelihood that you'll have a problem.

That said, you can ask 2WDW what the % of unusable ECUs are after they are flashed. They are the experts and I'm sure they have some stats for you - 1 in 500, 1 in a 1000 . . .?

There are many factors to corrupt flash on any electronic component.  Flashing ECU, I have no idea what the percentages are, but given the tech that is in the unit be it flash drive non volatile ram or rom as mentioned it is pretty certain to recover unless some totally catastrophic occurs.  Back in the day flashing eproms where done only by special people, now it can be done via a app on a smartipants phone.  I sure blew the snot out of many mudder boards way back in 286/386 days and I have bricked a few other components.  With that said, I think we are refering to damaging the ECU or engine with remapping the ECU.  Technically it is a flash but the changes are not damaging to the ECU itself but can be as damaging as bricking a router flashing DD-WRT.  If the Person changing the mapping has no clue chances are they can blow a motor or worser ;)

I agree with gregjet and I agree with sansnombre but yer talking two differing subjects :)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Wahoo back to clearing flash memory by flash ( ie UV lights).

Current memory is now so reliable you have to really try to brick it. Having said that I have even had a few reputable SSD's, die so anything is possible. I did say reputable person though as a qualifier.

I'll just drill out the main and pilot jet a little bigger.😁 10-15 hp there when you combine it with removing the tank sticker.

Same difference to a flash right? Lol! (Joking of course.)

I'm sure chances are very slim of a screw up but the stocker is still a big step up from my plated dirt bikes in power and smoothness so I'm happy for the moment. I do always reserve the right to change my mind in the future though. Lol!

14 minutes ago, michigan400 said:

I'll just drill out the main and pilot jet a little bigger.😁 10-15 hp there when you combine it with removing the tank sticker.

Same difference to a flash right? Lol! (Joking of course.)

I'm sure chances are very slim of a screw up but the stocker is still a big step up from my plated dirt bikes in power and smoothness so I'm happy for the moment. I do always reserve the right to change my mind in the future though. Lol!

Shhhhh You give away the secrets

I'm in the think it's too strong camp. Combine the engine braking with a lack of a slipper clutch and ya gotta be real careful throwing high RPM downshifts from 3rd to 2nd. Get it wrong and ya might be skidding the back wheel. (don't ask how I know)

At this point, I've compensated my riding style for it, but I could live with those injectors spitting a bit more fuel with the throttle shut and revs up.

Slipper clutches are wonderful things.

I could've lived with the engine braking since I was already accustomed to match revving, although it did slam the two bros heads together a time or two, unexpectedly when the transmission acted wonky but the installation of a new pipe called for an EJK which pretty much did away with the worst of the engine braking whether I liked it or not. (engine braking, which in my opinion was more than I needed every time I slowed down.) Although it did help to slow the bike down quickly I didn't want that all the time and would rather it be I, not the engine, that decides whether there will be quick slowing. 

Beemer

Part of the feel of bigger engine braking is the asymetric friing order. Vtwins are way worse ( ask any SV650 owner who has overshifted coming into a corner).

The soft suspension AND fuel shut off @ closed throttle is the big contributor to how noticeable the engine braking is ( soft suspension accentuates the suspension rock and the shut off increases the engine braking effect). With the suspension stiffened correctly and a reflashed ECU to change closed throttle fuel delivery I is way less noticeable.

I would still like to be able to justify a slipper...

13 hours ago, gregjet said:

Part of the feel of bigger engine braking is the asymetric friing order. Vtwins are way worse ( ask any SV650 owner who has overshifted coming into a corner).

The soft suspension AND fuel shut off @ closed throttle is the big contributor to how noticeable the engine braking is ( soft suspension accentuates the suspension rock and the shut off increases the engine braking effect). With the suspension stiffened correctly and a reflashed ECU to change closed throttle fuel delivery I is way less noticeable.

I would still like to be able to justify a slipper...

You got that right! I had a v-twin, a Yamaha 550 vision and I got that along with a lot of rear wheel hop but from what I've read the shaft drive on that particular bike only worsened the problem by creating even more torque. 

Beemer

Rear wheel hop is mostly just a crappy rear shock. I've owned 3 BMWs with a shaft drive and the only one of the 3 that hopped on decel was the R90/6 when it still had it's OE back shock. Once that was gone, it never happened again. I never even rode the next R bike with its OE shock. Over 14 years and 60k+ miles, that bike never bunny hopped. 

My 60 degree V twin Aprilia's engine braking is about 1/3 of the FZ's. Just comes down to how much fuel the map dictates the injectors can squirt into the motor with the throttles shut and the revs up. I suspect Yamaha did this to help keep fuel efficiency numbers up. 

If you do NOTHING ELSE save your $$$ and get the ECU flashed by 2WDW.  The bike will run the way Yamaha wished. The way they wanted to sell it but couldn't due to the damn EPA.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Modern EFI mapping SHOULD be able to overcome the hop a fair bit. My F800R managed to map it out as well.

My tiny VTR250 even with a perfectly tuned high quality rear shock and seriously sticky racing tyre would bounce around if you over shifted down.

Archived