The MT-07 Forum

Skunkworks

mossrider

Couple of old farts gettin er done on FZ07R's last weekend, sorry Jeff but we are.

IMG_2624_resized.jpg

Gettin er done that is...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very enjoyable read.

Thanks for taking the time.

Cheers.

P.S. Thanks esp for the cam timing info - otherwise I might have spent a bunch of time for little gain.

Just checking. When you played with the cams you haven't mentioned if you played with the spark angle as well. I am pretty sure from the excellent torque/power the stock motor has hat the advance is very well matched to the cams. So it probably ( haven't checked, hopefully you have) needs a new spark curve. If it is controlled by the ECU ( ususlly are nowdays) then it will have to be retailored for the new peak. I am not racing anymore so I haven't dug into this. Part of the reason a lot of the old spark from the cam bikes worked well with slotted cam cogs is because it would also advance the spark at the same time ( and sometime not so desirable)

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Just now, gregjet said:

Just checking. When you played with the cams you haven't mentioned if you played with the spark angle as well. I am pretty sure from the excellent torque/power the stock motor has hat the advance is very well matched to the cams. So it probably ( haven't checked, hopefully you have) needs a new spark curve. If it is controlled by the ECU ( ususlly are nowdays) then it will have to be retailored for the new peak. I am not racing anymore so I haven't dug into this. Part of the reason a lot of the old spark from the cam bikes worked well with slotted cam cogs is because it would also advance the spark at the same time ( and sometime not so desirable)

We messed with everything we could including the neighbors cat, oops sorry wrong thread. +/- Spark timing  and fueling and intake snorkel length, snorkels in/out, velocity stacks of different lengths/shapes/sizes, advanced/retarded cam timing; in essence we tried all the old school tricks, many of which worked with the SV650 (decked head and cam timing) only to find out Yamaha had already been there on these bikes. 

The one thing we did manage to improve on was throttle response and fueling accuracy. Now days bikes are delivered lean to meet EPA regs and throttle response is not linear, motors hesitate, on/off throttle was especially bad. We got it like butter. The bike immediately does exactly what and how much the right wrist tells it to do exactly when it tells it to do it. When I trail brake into a corner and roll it back on at apex now its orgasmic, sorry that other thread again.  Not a sputter or burp which is huge going through a chicane or navigating traffic. It's really fun to ride in anger.

We didn't do anything guys like Palmer and Hord haven't already done in a more scientific and experienced manor. In order to be sure we got it right we have to get it wrong in both directions first. I remember when the SV's were new and guys were piling up scrap aluminum, blown motors, holed/siezed pistons, broken cranks, twisted rods,, fried bearings etc in search of the recipe card to motor nirvana. They ultimately discovered the secret to the SV and its Achilles heels. Call it growing pains.

Sorry I talk too much.

Where's my BFH?

Figured you would have but you hadn't mentioned it and we have all been there..." Well we tried everything and nothing worked...oops we didn't try the obvious thing.

Sv650's hail the leader...until the 650twin Kwakas came along. Are the SV's and ER/ninjas still competitive against the 07? It's so much lighter.

13 hours ago, gregjet said:

Figured you would have but you hadn't mentioned it and we have all been there..." Well we tried everything and nothing worked...oops we didn't try the obvious thing.

Sv650's hail the leader...until the 650twin Kwakas came along. Are the SV's and ER/ninjas still competitive against the 07? It's so much lighter.

They are all quite competitive. Just look at the Laguna round of MA Twins, 1.Yamaha, 2.Suzuki, 3.Yamaha, 4.Kawasaki. (Yam and Suz have a couple wins a piece now, pretty even)  It's also fun to run in mixed company on track since they all have distinct personalities and present different challenges.

The SV is a bitch without a slipper. Even a slight overshift into a smaller gear and the rear gets dancey. The ER could just jam underneath as it turned tight better I found. SV was fantastic on long curves, Just lay her down and accellerate. Stable as the Titanic ( OOPS)...er.....Banks....er ...houses...That'll do. They hold a long line so well.

Never got the 07 on the track and I would love to. Now sorted , it seems to be like the old RD350LC's were. Just put it where and when you want and it's already there.  Power/torque feels a bit like the SV but fatter mid. Kwaka was a different beast altogether. The power was there but you had to find it.

One of these things is not like the others... 🎵🎶🎵

Thought I had finally made it to my rightful place in the racing hierarchy.  

Turns out I was right, just another garbage scow in line at the dump station,  Haha.  Driver ahead of me was pretty cool. He is the team chef and drives one of their hospitality units. Also a old club racer from the NE. 

IMG_20180610_214523_resized.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone explain to me what is involved with the AP transmission update/repair?  I can't get mine to shift consistently using the FT quick shifter, sometimes it works and other times it pops out of gear or won't shift into the next higher gear.  I have resorted to shifting the old fashioned way and not even using the quickshifter.  Any info would be appreciated!

Dave

Just now, dyii said:

Can anyone explain to me what is involved with the AP transmission update/repair?  I can't get mine to shift consistently using the FT quick shifter, sometimes it works and other times it pops out of gear or won't shift into the next higher gear.  I have resorted to shifting the old fashioned way and not even using the quickshifter.  Any info would be appreciated!

Dave

It has a fifth gear set (5th and 3rd) with custom machined shims that shorten and secure the shift throw into/outa 5th which is a common problem in these bikes especially after some racing abuse. 

20988227_689438114597985_696337286158340900_o.jpg

Just now, dyii said:

Dave

The quick shifting issues can be caused by a miriad of issues or combination of issues. I had problems with my initial FT quickshifter too. It gets wired into the stock ecu plug block and depending on the dexterity and ability of the sausages that do the install may/may not work reliab.ly or as intended. I put mine in, nough said.

When my first hardwired shift sensor fried we put a PC5 and dynojet quickshifter on. This allowed me to mess with rpm, cut time, etc for each gear individually trackside with a laptop. It took some puttzin but we got it to reliably work for each gear until 5th gear turned into a betch. We also wanted to be able to mess with the tune on the dyno and use a dual map switch for different tunes/fuels. That quick shift sensor fried and another quickshifter sensor and the 5th gear shift kit went in this off season which we subsequently ruined in a low yield nuclear event at Road America this spring. Judging by what guys are constantly working on around track I don't think my experience with electronics is particularly unusual irrespective of bike, manufacturer, etc.  

• Premium Member

knocks on wood... i also have had reliability issues with 2 diffrent brands... I now use Cordona built QS, 2 years of riding in all weather here in Michigan, its never missed a beat... the QS came with my Woolich Race kit/tune for my FJ-09... I learned my lessons, dont mess with the default settings 😞

I stopped using my QS on my FZ-07 as even shifting normally the gear indicator goes blank...it seems the gear sensor can be sensitive to being "dirty"... seems like every 5-7k miles it happens to me till I wipe the sensor off and wipe out its housing on the motor... knocks on wood...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I don't think the issue I am having is with the quickshifter itself but mechanically with the trans.  Are the pics you attached all part of a kit or just ordered parts from Yamaha?  I thought the AP update included undercutting and shimming the gears?  Is it just as simple as replacing some parts?

Just now, dyii said:

I don't think the issue I am having is with the quickshifter itself but mechanically with the trans.  Are the pics you attached all part of a kit or just ordered parts from Yamaha?  I thought the AP update included undercutting and shimming the gears?  Is it just as simple as replacing some parts?

The pic is AP's preproduction pic. The kit I got was similar and the had custom shims and 'dressed' gears. The gears are not undercut. It is just a drop in replacement for the stock gearset. He gets the parts individually from Yamaha as pictured and works them over then sells them as a kit.

Your problems certainly may be mechanical. I was merely cautioning to be systematic in your diagnosis as there are several things going on when you add electronics to mechanical systems.  I have had both electronic and mechanical issues with my bike and have disconnected my quick shifter and raced it manually to confirm and isolate issues in the past. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2018 at 1:06 AM, gregjet said:

3 hour endurance race this weekend among other foolishness. This is Nate and I. We had last place locked down early in the race so we could efoff and have some serious fun.IMG_20180721_223709.thumb.jpg.6555678e5d5fbbfef174630fba476f9a.jpg

There were 9 FZ07's running this weekend. New track record. The winning 3 hour team was Harry on an FZ and non other than Anthony (traitor).  

facebook951532231809125001.jpg.38a9f83766112ae5b07f65abf35c695c.jpg

What a great time! More Sprint races tomorrow.

And the rest of the Clubs' R's not present this weekend,

21167213_1172555152844522_9155882576336610662_o.thumb.jpg.721cbc1555aa1bfb733c32c4f4c1242a.jpg26195913_10155789956730211_8752228419541400957_n.thumb.jpg.ecb09a80d6c6ef0b6bd73a989c5a2f7c.jpg18817726_10158658669485109_1126332222_o.jpg.709ce08c69bfd287aff8f23a0155e867.jpgStudio_20180723_110725.jpg.1f9af29e1d39c6bb4d165acd133d85f9.jpg2-1.jpg.6d0c65003e3c2a24feaf2e84f85fadc5.jpg

Still out numbered by twenty years of Suzuki's but the army grows. 

• Premium Member
On 7/22/2018 at 12:00 AM, mossrider said:

3 hour endurance race this weekend among other foolishness. This is Nate and I. We had last place locked down early in the race so we could efoff and have some serious fun.IMG_20180721_223709.thumb.jpg.6555678e5d5fbbfef174630fba476f9a.jpg

There were 9 FZ07's running this weekend. New track record. The winning 3 hour team was Harry on an FZ and non other than Anthony (traitor).  

facebook951532231809125001.jpg.38a9f83766112ae5b07f65abf35c695c.jpg

What a great time! More Sprint races tomorrow.

How many times are you changing tires during the endurance racing?

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Just now, blackout said:

How many times are you changing tires during the endurance racing?

Zero. We each ran our own bikes but even if we had ran 1 bike no tire swaps would have been necessary.  I ran all weekend on 1 set of slicks. Now that I'm not running Supersport (treaded dot tires) I can leave the slicks on and never mess with tires all weekend. If it doesn't rain I'm golden.  Granted I ran a limited amount this weekend but it's easy to run 2 weekends on a rear and 3  maybe  4 on the same front.  I do flip the tires around as needed to make them last longer. 

Here's a couple different views of the same rear tire that had about 3 hours of constant racing during a 5 hour endurance race on it. You can see the asymmetric wear on the right side. It was brand new at the start of the race. I flipped it around and got another weekend of running out of it. 

20161211_150203.thumb.jpg.aee6b9ac8326e8abe7606f460e30820d.jpg20161211_150142.thumb.jpg.c50d1bc7c01d684dcbe0bcc15b064955.jpg

Time, she's a winding down...

Putting on MA numbers,

Distilled water,

New fluids,

Adjust, lube, clean

Checking everything over,

IMG_20180730_190536690_resized.thumb.jpg.0dce48979d188e2620ffd2255a3b6e33.jpg

Something more my speed?

IMG_20180526_123436236_resized.thumb.jpg.0f8c0cf855d745b97f28372e7bda3290.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

We're gonna close out this thread with the Pittrace update. This year's over riding goal was to make a competitive professional appearance in a motoamerica race. While our first attempt at Road America was less than successful, we gained invaluable experience we used for a second shot. 

We tried pittrace last weekend. After tech I pulled the wheels for new Dunlop spec tires. No worries. I can now say definatively that you can get 223.9 wheel swaps before the threads will fatigue and pull out of the calipers. So replace those before a cross country pro race.

IMG_20180826_194017.thumb.jpg.5b38fd45119992c550d0a33308703ecf.jpg

After navigating that landmine we crashed in Practice 1. Back to the pit for minor repairs and a windscreen. We qualified in 20th spot in a field of 22.

IMG_20180826_194245.thumb.jpg.5d3e51a9dd6c2664a919d85a01ae6656.jpg

In the race Tony grabbed 3 spots into the first turn but had given them back a couple laps later. After a red flag restart we got boxed out on turn one and Tony went to work, getting up to 14th. He tried a bold pass for 13th in the chicane on the last lap but lost 2 spots going off track finishing in 16th. The bike ran well and was making decent power with trap speeds around 122-23. 

IMG_20180826_194129.thumb.jpg.39d11bde480c97d52ec9e071c833f6fc.jpg

Here endith the story.

On 7/12/2018 at 5:47 AM, dyii said:

I can't get mine to shift consistently using the FT quick shifter, sometimes it works and other times it pops out of gear or won't shift into the next higher gear.  I have resorted to shifting the old fashioned way and not even using the quickshifter.  Any info would be appreciated!

Dave

Ditch that FTecu quickshifter. Its a POS. Mine never worked consistantly along with others ive spoken to. I went to a Bazzaz and it works great.

Post script:

Closer review of the  time slips showed us in a tie for 2nd fastest trap speed at 127mph with race winner Madama and Ryan Roth. Down 2mph from Wang at 129mph 😲, all on Yamaha's. Take that Suzuki.

Archived