The MT-07 Forum

Driving or riding a bike???

Beemer

To ride a bike or drive a bike?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. To ride or drive a bike.

• You sit on a bike so your ride it.
    • You turn the handlebars so you drive a bike.

It sounds better to me to say "ride" a motorcycle.  But you also ride mowers, tractors, wagons, waves, trains, planes, buses, excuses, a boss can ride you,  and you can drive a golf ball , a nail, someone cranzy,  a point home, etc...

But, if I know it will drive someone nuts for me to say "drive my motorcycle", you can bet that's what I'll do.  😎

YOU RIDE THE BIKE

For gad sake its RIDE RIDE RIDE

AND YOU STEER A BIKE NOT TURN WHEN YOU RIDE YOU STEER

Unless of course you are turing into a drive way or turning down a triple diamon trail then you steer

Damn young kids these days

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

gotta love American English 😂 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Propper Engrish My Feet

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Global Moderator

you neither ride nor drive a bike

yyou sit on it and lod on for dear life... as far as turning the handlebars... you really dont unless at low speed....

so both? 

ride at high speed.. drive at low speed 

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

6 hours ago, rider said:

It sounds better to me to say "ride" a motorcycle.  But you also ride mowers, tractors, wagons, waves, trains, planes, buses, excuses, a boss can ride you,  and you can drive a golf ball , a nail, someone cranzy,  a point home, etc...

But, if I know it will drive someone nuts for me to say "drive my motorcycle", you can bet that's what I'll do.  😎

5 hours ago, r1limited said:

YOU RIDE THE BIKE

For gad sake its RIDE RIDE RIDE

AND YOU STEER A BIKE NOT TURN WHEN YOU RIDE YOU STEER

Unless of course you are turing into a drive way or turning down a triple diamon trail then you steer

Damn young kids these days

Like that...

• Premium Member

Why is this even up for debate? A bike, pedaled or powered, has always been a vehicle described as being ridden not driven.

But then I've been wrong before.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

22 hours ago, norcal616 said:

gotta love American English 😂 

I grew up knowing a Lori to be a girl until some Brit came along and said he drove a Lorry and I proclaimed, NOOOO! It's a box truck but I now find myself smitten by U.K. language by watching Monty Python, Benny Hill and ........... https://youtu.be/_ltwX603Ft4

Beemer

4 hours ago, Beemer said:

I grew up knowing a Lori to be a girl until some Brit came along and said he drove a Lorry and I proclaimed, NOOOO! It's a box truck but I now find myself smitten by U.K. language by watching Monty Python, Benny Hill and ........... https://youtu.be/_ltwX603Ft4

We used to sneak into the living room (because that's where the only TV in the house was) after Dad went to bed after the news around 10:30 and watch Benny Hill with the volume super low and somebody with their hand close to the channel knob to change it in case Mom or Dad came in.  Monty Python's Flying Circus came on Saturday evenings on PBS.  Also watched The Goodies and Are You Being Served.  A Clockwork Orange was a little too out there for me.  Good times...  

Driving or riding..hmmm...

You drive a car, but as a passenger you ride in a car. 

You drive a boat, but you ride a jet-ski or sea doo.

You DRIVE a riding lawn mower. 

Typically, the operator of a vehicle is the driver while the passenger(s) are the ones riding. So does the operator drive the bike and the pillion rides, or do you both ride? If you are both riding, who is piloting? 😟 ???

Sometimes my kids drive me crazy, I have ridden the crazy train too

I have noticed that most of my European friends say drive, while my American counterparts say ride. Might be a European thing. Either way, I don't correct them, since they are in Asia teaching English. Go figure...🤔

In the words of Judge Judy, "Keep it simple stupid."

If you have to use your balance to operate something you are riding it. Sitting on a pillion? You are still using balance to stay on it so you are a rider as well. Riding as a passenger in a car you just sit there and you're not driving it. The four wheels are doing the balancing for you so you're just a gelatinous blob of watery tissue going along for the ride. I hope that has simplified the matter for anyone confused.  🙄 Exit, stage left! 🏃

Beemer

• Premium Member

Seems to me if one has a mode of transport tucked up into one's bathing suit area with legs straddling then its "Ride".  Honey baby, its all about the straddling.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Of course it's RIDE. AS in:  I rode too fast into a reverse camber bend. It's only a flesh wound though...

ABS =  Audible Blinker System. The horn beebs every time I use the blinker

Archived