bashlock

Airbox removal, install dual pod filters

bashlock

Living in Los Angeles, stock tuning works with this setup. 

The sound is awesome, and definitely mid and high end gains. Low end torque is still as great as it was stock. 

I will be adding an akra full exhaust, and eventually a tune and dyno. 

For now, extremely happy with this. 

Also, it’s easy to remove the airbox if you drop the motor a bit. You can leave the bottom rear mount on and just let the motor rest on a jack. Or cut it out as I’ve seen. 

Please argue elsewhere! Thanks

if anyone’s curious, I have removed a ton of stuff.  

- rear brake fluid bracket

- airbox

- lower front fairings

- radiator side covers

- decals

I am in the process of making a better placement for the ecu. There’s a big gap behind it and I want to tuck as much as I can

Edited by bashlock

bashlock
On 10/4/2017 at 4:55 PM, r1limited said:

I am curious as to the weight of the entire air box

I don’t have a scale but I’m estimating 2-3lbs. 

• Like 1

mick97702

I like the look. Where did you find them? Do you have a link?

digitalsteve
10 hours ago, bashlock said:

Please argue elsewhere! Thanks

Sorry, that's not how forums work.

• Haha 1

bashlock
4 hours ago, mick97702 said:

I like the look. Where did you find them? Do you have a link?

They are just cheap universal filters from

ebay. I used the factory clamps

bashlock

Update

finally went for a day ride, burned through an entire tank of gas.

averaged 41 miles per gallon

the bike is dumping fuel, but runs fine. 

Exhaust and power commander to come.

cyow5
2 hours ago, bashlock said:

Update

finally went for a day ride, burned through an entire tank of gas.

averaged 41 miles per gallon

the bike is dumping fuel, but runs fine. 

Exhaust and power commander to come.

That's interesting. The common knowledge seems to expect it to go lean if you are increasing the airflow without a tune, not rich. You clearly picked up power as you stated on the previous page, so you surely didn't reduce airflow. It sounds like I was right that the manifold air pressure sensor is compensating, just too much. Can't think of a different explanation. 

• Like 1

norcal616

Have fun tuning the bike... I suspect them little pod filters give a small little mid range bump but peformance suffers more as the rpms climb... 

keep the ECU in stock OEM fueling since the PCV will try to "lean out" the deceleration injection when they normally get turned back on when you get your ECU reflashed if you use the AutoTuner... 

I also hooked up a wire to allow me to "per gear mapping"

I would also recommend the AutoTuner or something similar to help you tune the bike or have a dyno shop do it... 

• Like 1

gregjet

Just a note on inlet length tuning.

First a tuned length only works at the rpm for which that length is designed ( and it's harmonics) and with the throttle butterflies out of the way ( ie mostly open). Once you partially close the butterflies they will stuff up the pressure wave.

From a mass loading perspective, the longer the more cramming in but the slower the change response .Again works best ( if it is after the throttle butterflies, at mostly open throttles).

The stock airbox has reasonably well designed flared stacks to help reduced harmonic problems at their ends but these pods will act in a completely different and damped way so the usual blowback problems SHOULDN't exist ( you never know for sure with air flow).

If Hord disagrees or corrects anything preceeding , listen to him. He has the real data.

I would like to know if Hord thinks it's a good idea ( I know , he knows his design is better. He put enough good research into it) as opposed to the stock steup. I would be willing to give itr a try with some mods ( and quality filters), for a number of reasons.

Ryan O'Keefe
On 17/10/2017 at 1:49 AM, cyow5 said:

That's interesting. The common knowledge seems to expect it to go lean if you are increasing the airflow without a tune, not rich. You clearly picked up power as you stated on the previous page, so you surely didn't reduce airflow. It sounds like I was right that the manifold air pressure sensor is compensating, just too much. Can't think of a different explanation. 

Just browsing the web doing a little research and came across this thread. The majority of your posts are very assuming of what these bikes have on board.

The sensors are narrow band (not wide band expensive fokers) and the feedback they give is really only going to help with things like altitude changes. They definitely aren't going to adapt to every single change. 

cyow5
3 hours ago, Ryan O'Keefe said:

Just browsing the web doing a little research and came across this thread. The majority of your posts are very assuming of what these bikes have on board.

The sensors are narrow band (not wide band expensive fokers) and the feedback they give is really only going to help with things like altitude changes. They definitely aren't going to adapt to every single change. 

You’ve misunderstood. As I stated earlier, the MAP sensor’s sole purpose is to increase fuel when manifold pressure increases. In another post, a helpful user posted the tables the ECU uses in this case if you want to see exactly. 

The narrow band isn’t the only sensor the ECU has to use

bashlock

Update!!!

full akrapovic titanium with modified dB killer, and power commander 5 installed.

Content for now. Power is smooth and linear, as it should be. 

• Like 1

r1limited
2 hours ago, bashlock said:

Update!!!

full akrapovic titanium with modified dB killer, and power commander 5 installed.

Content for now. Power is smooth and linear, as it should be. 

Thats awesome, hows the blipping and clutching in third

twf

I will test some of this lengths soon. I made clamp on adapters for tb's to be able to bolt on various length velocity stack used on flatslide carbs. 

I also made set that is longer with pod filters.

This tb's are bored out as well.

IMG_2591_zpsv0gbo0z6.jpg

IMG_2598_zpscsrvh2tl.jpg

Edited by twf
  • Like 3

bashlock

r1limited 

unsure of what you mean by blipping, and clutching in third is great? Probably not the bike though.