The MT-07 Forum

What is the top 5 Best Bang for Buck Motorcycles?

Cruizin

Ok, what is the top five bang for buck motorcycles? 

My list.

1. Yamaha FZ-07. MSRP $7199  Do I need to explain? Awesome twin engine, the best looking motorcycle for the money, good handling, great MPG, tons and tons of aftermarket accessories.

2.Honda CBR 500 $6,500. Decent handing, great looks and a good beginners sportbike. 

3.KTM Duke 390. $5,299 A great machine, stunning looks, Great handling, decent power for the size, but again, great handling. 

4.Kawasaki Z900 $8,399 and it is a tad better than the FZ-09 in some peoples minds. 

5.Indian Scout 60 $8,999. An Indian priced under nine grand. Good looks. And a hell of alot better than the Harley 883. 

Again, this is just my list.  There are many other bikes that could easily make this list, but these are the five that I pick for best bang for buck motorcycles. 

• Global Moderator

That looks like a good list, but I think I would slot the SV650 into third place.  

The 2017 MT/FZ-09 is in my top 5 for best bang for buck. Probably top of my list if I ignore the middleweight bikes.

One of my mates just picked one up new the other day. Yamaha has addressed much of the criticism with the earlier model's suspension (rear shock is still a weakness), and the standard quickshifter and slipper clutch are ace.

I'm keen to see how the Z900rs looks and costs (to be launched 25 October), it could be a real success for Kawasaki if they get it right.

CB500F @ 6099. Better suspension than the FZ-07, more frugal, more user-friendly, more sensible. Bland. But good value.

Z650 @ 6999. Better handler than the FZ-07 with better suspension, improved engine, although still no FZ. More "right" right out of the box.

SV650 @ 6999. See above.

FZ-07 @ 7199. Other than an amazing engine and a roomy-ish seating position, the other has it beat. 

CB300F @ 4199. A proper motorcycle at a very affordable price.

Honorable mentions:

GSX-S1000 @ 9999

VTX1300 Interstate @ 10999

Vulcan 900 Classic @ 7999

XSR900 @ 8499

• Premium Member

FJ-09 needs to be included... its the better FZ-09...120whp 👀

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I agree ..the CB500F is a nice small machine. My wife had one...than it got stolen and now she has a FZ-07.
The CB500F is more userfriendly and much better for beginners than the FZ-07 in my opinion.

The Z900 is an awesome machine. Loved that 4cylinder engine. So smooth.

I especially like the choices for the FZ-07 (awesome engine) and the CB500 for it's comfort and versatility but I can't help but think about noobs when it comes to "best bang for buck" so simple, dual sport bikes come to mind. For a person that has never ridden and doesn't require the very best, the Yamaha TW200 is a good choice for a first bike. First of all it's cheap, gets good gas mileage, low seat height, very manageable and they can learn to ride in the safety of their own back yard or on trails which = big fun!. After a year or whatever they can trade it in for something more powerful to their liking. 

Beemer

Yamaha is blowing out SCR900's for $3,999. Regular MSRP was about $9,500 iirc. 

Might not be your style, but that's a bargain and a half. 

9 hours ago, Cruizin said:

I had a really hard time keeping it out of the top 5.

when they add cruise, it's on the list.

I contemplated buying a FJ09 and stripping it naked. I understand the whole adv style, but I don't like it. Beaks are for the front of your helmet, not your motorcycle! ;)

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
21 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Ok, what is the top five bang for buck motorcycles? 

My list.

1. Yamaha FZ-07. MSRP $7199  Do I need to explain? Awesome twin engine, the best looking motorcycle for the money, good handling, great MPG, tons and tons of aftermarket accessories.

2.Honda CBR 500 $6,500. Decent handing, great looks and a good beginners sportbike. 

3.KTM Duke 390. $5,299 A great machine, stunning looks, Great handling, decent power for the size, but again, great handling. 

4.Kawasaki Z900 $8,399 and it is a tad better than the FZ-09 in some peoples minds. 

5.Indian Scout 60 $8,999. An Indian priced under nine grand. Good looks. And a hell of alot better than the Harley 883. 

Again, this is just my list.  There are many other bikes that could easily make this list, but these are the five that I pick for best bang for buck motorcycles. 

Hate to admit it, but I am seriously eying the Kaw Z900 as the bike I might upgrade to--seems like a whole lot of bike for the money. ::) 

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

13 hours ago, stev74 said:

I agree ..the CB500F is a nice small machine. My wife had one...than it got stolen and now she has a FZ-07.
The CB500F is more userfriendly and much better for beginners than the FZ-07 in my opinion.

The Z900 is an awesome machine. Loved that 4cylinder engine. So smooth.

Similar story here. I had the KTM Duke 390 because it was a nice small machine that punches above its weight but it was stolen. Now have the FZ 07 and it's a good upgrade. 

Grip it & Rip it

Not nearly as good as that, but one of the two local yamaha dealers here has a couple 2016 R1Ss and a Super Ténéré for 11k. Decent bang for your buck if you ask me. It's crazy to me that I could have purchased an R1 instead of my 07...

5 hours ago, faffi said:

Seriously?

Yup! I couldn't believe it when I saw it. I'm talking 2016 & 2017 year models, too. Not four year old leftovers lol

Amazing! I live in the wrong corner of the world. May have my son look into importing one - even with our crazy taxes it should be a bargain.

The choices say a lot about the riders as much as the bikes.

Interesting that the choices are so similiar and NOT what the mainstream would choose. Note the lack of giant high HP in the overall numbers.

I soo agree with the 1st 3 of Cruzin's .

Cbr500 range I also agree are one of the best ever beginner bikes. Such a well finished nice to ride bike. Too heavy really for the capacity but I intend to get one when they get cheaper 2nd hand ones and put one on a diet as a project bike. I suspect a much less porky result.

THE best bang for buck bike , in my opinion is the VTR250 Honda ( EFI model). I believe they don't import tem to the US. Incredibly advanced frame/engine design. VERY light. Spectacularly fun motor. Ridiculous torque for a 250. Decent forks ( shock rear suspension must be upgraded). I know people that are still riding the original carb models that are over 2 decades. With a tyre change they are THE best beginner bike there is. And get one set up properly on a mountain road and you will not stop smiling.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

15 hours ago, faffi said:

Amazing! I live in the wrong corner of the world. May have my son look into importing one - even with our crazy taxes it should be a bargain.

Definitely do some research or a test ride if possible. I spotted one while looking at the FZ and had to take a closer look when I saw the price. The air cleaner sticking out the side bangs on your knee constantly and they only have like 2.5" of rear wheel travel. Just a quick ride around town pretty much wore my knee and my arse out in no time flat. But that motor is nice. Very torquey ( max tq at 3k rpm) but runs out of steam fast. 

It proves you can do a belt drive bike and sell it for cheap. Man, I really wish my 07 was belt driven...

Archived