The MT-07 Forum

Coolant Options

mjh937

• Global Moderator

I need to change the coolant in my bike (actually it is overdue but it seems like a pain so I have been putting it off).  At the risk of starting a "conversation" what is the best coolant to use?  This will be the first time for me changing coolant on a motorcycle so I do not have a favorite, or know if one brand or type is better than another.  

Well since I don't like changing coolant or the corrosion factor, I went to Evans waterless coolant....it's a little pricey but lifetime so you might check it out. I've been running it for years in my DRZ 435cc hi comp. dual sport with no issues and for the past year now in FZ-07.

Evens Coolant, you will pay for it though  I have been using Pro Honda 50/50, either that or use distilled water with Water Wetter if you are in non freezing zones.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Global Moderator

I ended up going with Engine Ice.  Changing the coolant was a lot easier than I expected so I will not mind doing it every two years.  I keep my bike in an unheated garage so it needs antifreeze.  I was concidering Evans, but I know I would not be able to never change it.  I am sure it will last forever, but it just does not seem possible and I would eventually end up changing it anyway.  

2 hours ago, mjh937 said:

I ended up going with Engine Ice.  Changing the coolant was a lot easier than I expected so I will not mind doing it every two years.  I keep my bike in an unheated garage so it needs antifreeze.  I was concidering Evans, but I know I would not be able to never change it.  I am sure it will last forever, but it just does not seem possible and I would eventually end up changing it anyway.  

Evans in the DRZ now for many years, no coolant reservoir and heavily flogged bike in the Sierras...gets good and hot...still same level and color as when installed...but I understand your reservations as initially I had them also. I did install a mini catch bottle on the FZ-07 and just yesterday made an identical one to put on DRZ for peace of mind. When you fill (to max) the radiator with Evans it will expand slightly and puke out a small amount of coolant, if you have no reservoir this new level should be considered your new fill level, however, with an overflow reservoir it will work the same as the stock system.

• 3 weeks later...

I flushed my radiator today and used a combination of water wetter,  anti-freeze, and distilled water.   Temp stays around 176.  

Archived