The MT-07 Forum

High Test Gas?

bornagainbiker

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

In my neck of the woods regular gas "may contain up to 10% ethanol" and high test contains no ethanol.  The manual says that 10% ethanol is OK for the FZ-07, but what I am wondering is there a downside to running high test in the FZ and avoiding the ethanol altogether?  

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

Not sure what "High test" is, but I try to run Ethanol-Free gas if at all possible.  IMO - Ethanol is not good if left sitting for any length of time regardless if the engine is rated for it or not.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
2 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Not sure what "High test" is, but I try to run Ethanol-Free gas if at all possible.  IMO - Ethanol is not good if left sitting for any length of time regardless if the engine is rated for it or not.

The high test here is 91 octane, if that helps.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

• Global Moderator

You do not need to pay for higher octane on this bike.  Having said that I would (and do) pay extra to not have ethanol. 

I have been running ethanol free 92.  ethanol no matter what destroys carb seals gas lines, rings, pistons etc.  Yes ECUs are programed to run 10s %, there are engineering changes to run 10% but eventually ethanol will takes its toll.  The problem is people are not educated but indoctrinated to believe ethanol is good its not.  Phase Seperation happens even if gas sits for a few weeks with ethanol in it.  This is ethanol and water that settles at the bottom of the tank.  I digress

I use pure gas 92 in all my engines.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

All of our fuel here is E10. I run 89 octane in mine as I think the motor is a tad quieter when it gets hot out. 

With all the fear of separation, I've never seen it. My bikes sit in an unheated garage for 3 months over the winter with full tanks. I also have fuel in cans for the lawn muncher, snow thrower etc. that can sit for long periods before it gets used up and have never had those separation horror stories as seen on the net. 

That said, these days I also add Stabile to that fuel - which also contains more alcohol (not ethanol). So who knows. All I know is that all of those motors, even the 20 year old muncher fires right up in the spring after sitting for months in a cold garage with old fuel

Talking about High Test Gas, get some of them Edge paleo bars at Costco, Wait 1 hour, then go ride, I MEAN WOW the EXPLODING flatulance with a auto flame you get like 50 HP

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived