The MT-07 Forum

Hordpower Airbox

norcal616

Besides getting orders, our supporting vendor program attaches ea forum vendor to the FZ-07 in google search results as I pump a ton of SEO into the vendor boards.

up to two weeks ago, if someone searched for FZ-07 airbox on google search, the hordpower thread was on page one of Google search results. Companies pay hundreds a month just for that alone.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Here in Michigan I ride daily in rain or shine...have had no problems with the filter staying dry during these nasty Michigan rain storms... yea I do see a few wet spots were water landed on the media after a good ride in the rain... the riders legs actually cover the side of the airbox so provide even more element protection... unless your doing a river crossing I see no need to worry about "rain" ... Using an OuterWear type filter cover will probably be a good safety barrier... I will admit my bikes get parked in a garage majority of the time unless at work , so I cannot comment on what happens if bike is left outside 24/7/365

You can send Hordpower your ECU for a reflash or you can load his map onto a PCV...if you go the PCV route the ECU must be reflashed back to OEM if its been reflashed, the PCV map is built off OEM fueling and ignition...

sure you can use the bench flashing kit from FTECU is you really wanna fine fine tune the set up if your racing in my book but its over kill for normal street riding as its easier to use a dyno to see how the power band changed to your tweaks of the fuel/ignition tables, etc... 

• Thanks 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, digitalsteve said:

@norcal616 - so a PCV is a better option with a Hordpower than an ECU flash?

I don't know, @hordboy might be able to explain more in detail

ECU reflash is less stuff to install 

PCV was my choice as I already have it installed from my previous exhaust- all I had to do was send ECU back to 2wdw to be flashed back to OEM since it was flashed for Leovince exhaust well before I waneed a Hordpower Airbox- I tried to make the 2WDW flash tune work with Hordpower Airbox but failed and learned a lot more about tuning the FZ-07... 

• Thanks 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

digitalsteve
9 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

I don't know, @hordboy might be able to explain more in detail

ECU reflash is less stuff to install 

PCV was my choice as I already have it installed from my previous exhaust- all I had to do was send ECU back to 2wdw to be flashed back to OEM since it was flashed for Leovince exhaust well before I waneed a Hordpower Airbox- I tried to make the 2WDW flash tune work with Hordpower Airbox but failed and learned a lot more about tuning the FZ-07... 

Mine's stock at the moment and I was deciding what to install... if the Hordpower box works on stock and relies on a PCV, then that's the better option I guess.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, digitalsteve said:

Mine's stock at the moment and I was deciding what to install... if the Hordpower box works on stock and relies on a PCV, then that's the better option I guess.

That's how I looked at it...in the future I can pull the Hordpower Airbox, PCV, Yoshi exhaust and sell them together when it's time to trade the FZ-07 in after putting the stock exhaust back on...

• Like 1

digitalsteve
Just now, norcal616 said:

That's how I looked at it...in the future I can pull the Hordpower Airbox, PCV, Yoshi exhaust and sell them together when it's time to trade the FZ-07 in after putting the stock exhaust back on...

I'm an optimist; mine is never being sold as it's too good of a bike to commute on.

I'll just add more bikes if I have to ;)

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I did find a short video of the Hordpower Airbox

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

reading thru Hordpower FB page I found out there are maps available for the Hordpower Airbox for Akra-Ti, Akra Carbon, Yoshimura and Arrow(?)

for price comparison ( shits and giggles)

the Akra Ti is approx $950 and add ECU tune for $250- its 71whp

the Yoshi is approx $625 , Hordpower Airbox $300 and ECU reflash/ or PCV both( cost is too similar @250) - its 80whp

PCV vs. flash is kind've a wash.  The PCV has one big advantage, it comes with an 02 sensor controller that changes the AFR from the lean 14.7:1 to 14.2:1 anytime the ECO mode is on.  Doesn't sound like much of a change, but the FZ runs really well at cruise at 14.2:1.  And good mileage.  OTOH a flash is nice because you can turn on decel fueling, and you don't have an extra box on the bike that could potentially fail.  Although it's very rare a PCV goes bad.  Just kinda depends on your situation, which to choose.  Either will work fine.  One thing, if you buy the FTECU kit, I won't supply a flash file, not even for $$.  Because there's no way to keep somebody from using the file to make $$ off my work by flashing ECU's for other people.  Intellectual rights issues.  But I do give away PCV maps for free.

A popular combo is the Yosh, airbox, and flash or PCV.  10hp-ish gain, proven over and over.

All right, now I probably owe Rob some $$.  lol  PM sent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

J.D. Hord

• 2 months later...
AlbatrossCafe

So this has probably been answered somewhere on the site (can't find it), but does 2WDW have a flash for the Hord airbox? Or do you have to use Hord's flash?

I would rather not pay another $200 for a flash when 2WDW will reflash mine for free... 🙄

Edited by AlbatrossCafe
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 12/29/2017 at 11:59 AM, AlbatrossCafe said:

So this has probably been answered somewhere on the site (can't find it), but does 2WDW have a flash for the Hord airbox? Or do you have to use Hord's flash?

I would rather not pay another $200 for a flash when 2WDW will reflash mine for free... 🙄

I would also like to know the answer to this question, before taking the jump.

• Global Moderator
On 12/29/2017 at 11:59 AM, AlbatrossCafe said:

You should phone or email 2WDW and ask.  They have always responded quickly in the past. 

• Premium Member
cornerslider
On 10/6/2017 at 10:26 AM, hordboy said:

PCV vs. flash is kind've a wash.  The PCV has one big advantage, it comes with an 02 sensor controller that changes the AFR from the lean 14.7:1 to 14.2:1 anytime the ECO mode is on.  Doesn't sound like much of a change, but the FZ runs really well at cruise at 14.2:1.  And good mileage.  OTOH a flash is nice because you can turn on decel fueling, and you don't have an extra box on the bike that could potentially fail.  Although it's very rare a PCV goes bad.  Just kinda depends on your situation, which to choose.  Either will work fine.  One thing, if you buy the FTECU kit, I won't supply a flash file, not even for $$.  Because there's no way to keep somebody from using the file to make $$ off my work by flashing ECU's for other people.  Intellectual rights issues.  But I do give away PCV maps for free.

A popular combo is the Yosh, airbox, and flash or PCV.  10hp-ish gain, proven over and over.

Right now is one of those rare times, when I'm glad I went the PCV route.... I have a supermoto background, so the OEM engine braking feels "normal" to me.... Hord is awesome to deal with, and is genuinely interested in helping folks open up their FZ-07's. I like the fact that the Hords PCV map includes fuel mapping for EVERY gear- not just a generic "this works" ECU flash approach. If my PCV ever fails me, I know I'll regret my choices.... But for now, it's sounding pretty damn good!!!! I don't use the Yoshimura exhaust, for one reason- the Akrapovic Ti system puts the entire exhaust system UNDER the bike. I do about 80% track use, which puts me at more of a risk of wrecking my exhaust system in a crash. (shet happens).... The Yoshimura system has the pipe sticking out the side of the bike. If you run the OEM pegs (that fold up in a crash), your looking at doing serious damage to your can... If you use the Woodcraft (or similar) rear sets, you are better off, but (IMO) your are still taking on more risk of wrecking your can in a crash. Thank you Mr. Hord, for sharing what you have learned, at a very reasonable price. I hope the FZ-07 community pays it forward to you-

Edited by cornerslider
  • Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Has anyone that's fitted Hord's airbox been able to remove the stock airbox intact without loosening the engine mounts?

I'm really keen on the Hord setup but I'd like to be able to (relatively easily) put the bike back to standard if it ever comes time to sell.

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, stickshift said:

Has anyone that's fitted Hord's airbox been able to remove the stock airbox intact without loosening the engine mounts?

I'm really keen on the Hord setup but I'd like to be able to (relatively easily) put the bike back to standard if it ever comes time to sell.

yes quite a few have, some went total destruction, some dropped motor... it seems to be related to ones patience/skills... I had a bit of a fumble but got it out after an hr or so, I actually popped the throttle bodies out of the rubber intake boots and moved them around to give me the bit extra space to slide the stock airbox out...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

it seems to be related to ones patience/skills... I had a bit of a fumble but got it out after an hr or so, I actually popped the throttle bodies out of the rubber intake boots and moved them around to give me the bit extra space to slide the stock airbox out...

Yeah I hoped it only required some patience, thanks!

9 hours ago, norcal616 said:

yes quite a few have, some went total destruction, some dropped motor... it seems to be related to ones patience/skills... I had a bit of a fumble but got it out after an hr or so, I actually popped the throttle bodies out of the rubber intake boots and moved them around to give me the bit extra space to slide the stock airbox out...

What norcal616 said...I have a lot of patience but ultimately broke down and just slid the throttle bodies out, I was going to unplug most connections to the throttle bodies anyway to install the PCV harness. Those that have chosen the sawsall route have the box out in about 5 minutes I hear. I can't see any reason to ever need to drop the engine, except for pistons and head work that is..

I found the air box install was a good time to 'T' into the MAP sensor line and to add a short pc. of vacuum hose from there and also from the rt. throttle body over to a spot just to the rt. of and forward of the TPS on the rt. side of throttle bodies. Now I can easily tap into the TB vacuum ports to hook up my manometer...only have done it once so far but it was sure easy.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
cornerslider

I did the Hordpower airbox mod over the winter. It finally hit 55 degrees yesterday, and I was about to test it out. I read all the reviews, and agonized quite a bit over this purchase. I run a PCV, with the Hord map. The reviews I read don't do this set-up justice.. This thing pulls like a freight train!!!!! It pulls HARD all the way through the RPM range. It doesn't fall on it's face at 8,000 rpm like it used to.... I'd say it's the BEST $300 I've spent on my FZ-07. If your "on the fence" about buying the Hordpower airbox, pull the trigger!!! You will not regret it- 😎👍

• Like 7

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• 10 months later...

its good if the best are supported. motorcycle parts are *not in-expensive. some of us have more money than sense. know what you are buying. ecu flashing for autos has been around for more than just awhile. there are more than a few informed folks on this forum.  

• 6 months later...
On 10/6/2017 at 10:26 AM, hordboy said:

Alright I know this is an old post but I am confused.

So he will not give you a map to use to flash but will give you a PCV map?

Like the maps found here:

Get the most from your Fuel Injected Motorcycle

Because I have the FTECU kit and used the Power Commander maps to tune my bike. So he will then provide a similar Power commander map???? If so then I would be able to offset the tune like I did before and tune my bike using the FTECU software.

I guess what doesn't make sense to me is that if using a full map or taking a stock map and using Power Commander Map to offset it you end up with the same thing. So I don't get why you would give away PCV maps and not the full flash file. Whatever I guess.

SO main question is do you provide an offsetting map like found from Power Commander for the Yoshimura R77 Race Exhaust?

1 hour ago, heftymann said:

Alright I know this is an old post but I am confused.

So he will not give you a map to use to flash but will give you a PCV map?

Like the maps found here:

Get the most from your Fuel Injected Motorcycle

Because I have the FTECU kit and used the Power Commander maps to tune my bike. So he will then provide a similar Power commander map???? If so then I would be able to offset the tune like I did before and tune my bike using the FTECU software.

I guess what doesn't make sense to me is that if using a full map or taking a stock map and using Power Commander Map to offset it you end up with the same thing. So I don't get why you would give away PCV maps and not the full flash file. Whatever I guess.

SO main question is do you provide an offsetting map like found from Power Commander for the Yoshimura R77 Race Exhaust?

Hords PCV map is a dyno custom tune map for his airbox and different exhaust systems and works very well.  Purchase his airbox,  and he provided a custom PCV map for my setup.  Or as you mentioned start with PCV stock maps and self-adjust with your kit.  I started with JDs  PCV map and then went with his reflash reducing the engine braking, with no complaints.

IMG_8462.thumb.JPG.956d998ed6541cde287564a11603e311.JPG