Sign in to follow this  
jerryv

Advice for all riders ... gleaned this off another site

jerryv
It's an article from cycle world on "braking".  Don't recall hearing about this method at my MSF class but that was 12 years ago.  It makes sense; braking properly, using both at the same time can be difficult, especially in emergency situations.  

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/05/28/the-brake-light-initiative-treatise-on-motorcycle-control-using-your-braking-skills/
  • Like 3

manuel
Interesting article. Thanks @jerryv !

jerryv
Interesting article. Thanks @jerryv !
Need to study this more .. I can brake or be on the throttle .. very difficult to do both carefully.

manuel
From what I gather, they suggest training towards smooth operation - the brake light on thing is not actually braking but just making the pads connect to the rotors, just in case there is a need to brake as you go through the turn - if you need to brake, just continue to apply the brakes in linear fashion, and since the pads are already in contact with the rotor, that dials out any abrupt application which, according to them, is the main cause of losing control.

Interesting take and it seems logical to me.
  • Like 1

jerryv
From what I gather, they suggest training towards smooth operation - the brake light on thing is not actually braking but just making the pads connect to the rotors, just in case there is a need to brake as you go through the turn - if you need to brake, just continue to apply the brakes in linear fashion, and since the pads are already in contact with the rotor, that dials out any abrupt application which, according to them, is the main cause of losing control.  
Interesting take and it seems logical to me.
I agree, contact is what they were discussing, but it is difficult to maintain a light squeeze on the brakes (especially the front) and also be able to modulate the throttle.  Food for thought, that's for sure.  I'll bet more people get into trouble braking than anything to do with too much speed.
  • Like 1

biker2014
Thanks @Jerryv

I have been out practicing corners to build confidence and will give this a go.

this article is in line with my thoughts on building confidence, having absolute mastery of the bike, controls and physics of there application. (does that sentence make sense?! lol)

I am still nervous on changing direction at the higher speeds and on blind corners. I feel that i slow down 'too much' still.

jerryv
Thanks @jerryv  
I have been out practicing corners to build confidence and will give this a go.

this article is in line with my thoughts on building confidence, having absolute mastery of the bike, controls and physics of there application. (does that sentence make sense?! lol)

I am still nervous on changing direction at the higher speeds and on blind corners. I feel that i slow down 'too much' still.
.... going slower is better than going too fast!  err on the side of caution until practice and experience build.  Don't get over confident, that's a bad mistake too ... I've been there.