The MT-07 Forum

Adventure Helmets

Beemer

For quite some time now I've been wanting an adventure helmet for two main reasons. 1. To help keep direct sunlight out of my eyes and 2, so I won't ride as fast on the highway. I have a bad habit of passing everything that moves and I fear it's eventually (damned this bad-ass bike! 😬 ) going to get me into trouble. I figure the visor will give me grief (catching wind) above the legal speed so that should help to control me a bit. I just ordered it so when I receive it and have used it awhile I'll give a review on it.  (I may need a reminder, ha!) Edit: I'm talking about adventure helmets with the sun visors (peak) that stick out and over the eyes, not your garden variety helmet. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017328IQU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A3SOC55K5SLD0I&th=1

Stay frosty!

Beemer

I have the Icon Varient.  I love it, easily one of the top 2 helmets I've owned.  The other being Shoei GT air which fits just perfectly like no helmet I have ever used.  I love the visor on the varient, I miss it when I wear the Shoei.  You will certainly notice it at high speed, but you learn to head check at a slight angle.  When switching back to the Shoei I am always amazed at how well it slices through the air.  Also the Varient flows an incredible amount of air, which you will love in Fl, I am in Va and it is beginning to get chilly so the less flow of the Shoei will be favorable as winter closes in.

For reference I have had 2 scorpions, an HJC, the Icon, and the Shoei.  Dependent on weather the Shoei and Icon are 1 and 2. 

14 hours ago, Beemer said:

For quite some time now I've been wanting an adventure helmet for two main reasons. 1. To help keep direct sunlight out of my eyes and 2, so I won't ride as fast on the highway. I have a bad habit of passing everything that moves and I fear it's eventually (damned this bad-ass bike! 😬 ) going to get me into trouble. I figure the visor will give me grief (catching wind) above the legal speed so that should help to control me a bit. I just ordered it so when I receive it and have used it awhile I'll give a review on it.  (I may need a reminder, ha!)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017328IQU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A3SOC55K5SLD0I&th=1

Stay frosty!

I looked hard at that Bell, but ended up buying an LS2 Pioneer. Absolutely love that helmet. 

4914586.JPG

I checked them out before I bought mine, nice helmet indeed but I reeeeeally require a solid white, which they don't have. I'm hoping I love mine also.

Beemer

Don't forget to look at the Scorpion EXO AT-950!  I bought one as the replacement to my 5 y/o Shoei Neotec and have no regrets.  It's a great helmet, easily removable peak with drop down sun visor!

I've got an AGV AX-8, which I tried to use as my adventure helmet. I thought was pretty comfortable, although its cheek pads cover the ear section, so it's not the best with earplugs. Also, the wind buffeting at even reasonable speeds was pretty obnoxious on the FZ with its minimal wind protection (Maybe it's just my tall windscreen, but it was exhausting to wear), so I didn't really like it for anything but supermoto kart track duty.

I ultimately use my race helmet (A shoei X-12) for actual adventuring duty. 

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

So far the helmet's working great. At around 65-70 the peak catches just enough wind to let me know it's there and that I'm close to entering the head snap zone. I once caught myself hitting 90 while passing and when accelerating to reach that speed I felt my head getting jerked left and right and the constant force of the wind trying to lift my head (tough fight, exhausting!). That I didn't like so I'm sure I will avoid going too fast now. I've always said to pass fast and I still will at speeds under highways speeds but for the highway I won't be passing quite so fast now. I'll just have to keep a closer eye on people I'm passing or just not pass at all if I can restrain myself from doing so, ha! I think I'll need the patch for that one!

About the helmet itself, what can anyone say? the bad: It's basically a dirt helmet that's not designed to act like a good street helmet that usually does a better job of keeping the wind noise down so if you buy one don't expect it to be quiet, expect to wear ear plugs. It's hard to put glasses on until you figure out the trick to it. ($20, I show you the trick, ha!)

the good: The visor is real nice, you can open it easily with either hand and close it with either also. The vision is good, helmet breathes well, the white color helps to keep it cooler inside and the weight is low. I wear a Lrg. so it fit me good right out of the box. Granted, it doesn't have some of the nicer features like some other adventure helmets have but it did have what I needed and I like it's looks the best of all I've seen so I'm happy with it.

Beemer

I couldn't remember why I picked the LS2 over the Bell until you mentioned the bit about glasses. I remember now reading that in a couple reviews, so I went with the LS2 since it's cheek pads are specifically made to accommodate glasses, which it does well. I still really like that Bell, though. 

I went to a Arai XD4 for a number of reasons for the road.

Primarily for the extra space in front of my mouth for the intercom mic. And also for the sun visor and the low wind noise. The bigger vison area is a big plus.  The ventilation is quite well controllable.

One thing we found was the visor needed to be shortened slightly for the road bike for both aero reasons and the end gets in the road with the orad bike head position.

It does catch the wind if you move your head to the side though.

I need a road only helmet as well though and in that process now.

https://www.mcas.com.au/shop/item/arai-xd-4-helmet-white-02?gclid=CjwKCAjwgvfOBRB7EiwAeP7ehmu0ezLdqW2wFwnVekae6qTYsADkeCIg8Hg8oI-EgyNuzz4wklB8kBoCw4sQAvD_BwE

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

Also an Arai XD-4 user. I like to use it for the hotter seasons since there's so much more ventilation. Only bummer to me is that I have to wear my gopro on my chest mount since there aren't optimal places on the helmet. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

On 9/30/2017 at 12:26 AM, shinyribs said:

I looked hard at that Bell, but ended up buying an LS2 Pioneer. Absolutely love that helmet.

I also have the LS2 Pioneer for riding on my dual sport, and I love the heck out of it. Its a looser fit than my Icon Airmada and feels great for on or off road riding. The air flow is very good, especially when you keep the face shield cracked, however, 90% of the time I ride with the sun visor down and the shield up. It gives amazing air flow while still protecting my eyes from any debris. Plus, its a pretty inexpensive helmet with no noticeable flaws that looks sick as.

Digitalsteve. Airflow is VERY good AND reasonably quiet, expecially with the slightly shortened visor. On the big trip the hot return was notable in that my jacket and helmet were quite reasonable, only the top my shoulders got uncomfortable from the sun. I wish I had had this helmet when I still lived in North Queensland.

Forgot to mention that it is very good for my glasses, though not as good as my Xlite(Nolan) racing helmet was.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived