The MT-07 Forum

Setting up the FZ07 for touring

vardo

Hey all - just returned from a 17 day, 3,000 mile tour from Calif to the Utah/Colorado/Arizona canyonland country. I ride a BMW GS 1200 but purchased a 2015 FZ 07 for my daughter to ride with me. Just wanted to review the mods I did to turn this great street bike into a touring bike. My daughter is 5'5" with a 30" inseam, so all of the small adventure-touring bikes like the VStrom 650 that had many of these mods already were much too tall for her. Likewise the sport tourer version of the FZ07 that is available now in Europe has the taller seat height and wouldn't have worked even if it had been available here.

59cd7b8a72e2d_bikeatMV.thumb.jpg.68da736c1dd61b9e43d6df51c3fd4e0d.jpg

Upgrades:

(Some of the mods that I did I got from other posts in this forum, so thanks to all who contribute!)

·         Tall V-Stream windshield plus X-Creen adjustable wind deflector – Even after installing the tall V-Stream I felt there was an unacceptable amount of wind (and bugs and noise) directly hitting the face shield.The X-Creen variable angle wind deflector that clips onto the top of the windshield was the perfect addition - still allows the driver to see over the windshield but diverts wind blast to top of helmet. No cleaning the faceshield every hour in buggy riding!

·         Handlebar risers plus instrument riser – The risers allow a much more upright and comfortable riding position for touring. Raising the handlebars does however require that the instrument panel also be raised so as not to be partially blocked by the higher handlebar, and so requires an instrument riser mod.

·         Shad semi-hard E48 side bags plus frame mount – Unlike soft bags, these are very stable in the wind and are held away from the rear wheel by a small frame mount (which has low visual impact when the bags are not mounted). I have tried regular soft bags in the past and don't consider them acceptable for touring trips of more than a few days. These Shads work really well without breaking the bank.

·         Custom rear rack (replaces rear seat) - I struggled with this one. None of the manufacturers seems to have a good solution for adding both side bags and a trunk. I felt the trunk mounts that were available put the trunk way too far back for good weight distribution and also made the rear end look unbalanced. So I came up with the idea of using the existing rear seat base as the supporting structure for a platform that would hold the trunk closer in to the driver but still allow for a waterproof duffel bag with camping gear to be strapped behind the driver and in front of the trunk. Since the custom platform attaches using a rear seat mount (available for $75 from Yamaha), it can be swapped out with the original rear seat using the bike key in seconds with no tools.

·         Center stand – Essential to me for easy oil changes as well as for chain adjustment or tire repair while on the road.

·         Mirror extenders – These push the mirrors out about 3", greatly improving the rear view past your shoulders.

·         Tank bag with wired 12V connection – I had an existing small tank bag with straps, so I attached four straps to existing bolts on the tank. Easy to unhook at gas fill-ups. The 12v connection into the tank bag is waterproof and has a powered USB port inside the bag so you can keep your phone/electronics powered while riding.

·         LED “always-on” rear lights – This mod swaps out the rear turn signals with LED lights that stay on for better visibility from the rear. Naturally they still operate as turn signals.

·         GoCruise throttle lock – A simple addition to relieve your throttle wrist during long straight sections. Not a cruise control, but still quite helpful on long rides.

·         Frame sliders – I wouldn't count on these for sliding on at speed, but they do protect the engine and tank in case of tip over at standstill, which she tried once - no damage or scratches to bike!

·         Radiator guard - keeps rocks out of radiator.

·         Custom holder for a spare quart of fuel. With the small tank and the remote roads I planned on going on I felt it useful to bring at least a little spare fuel. At 60mpg, one liter would get us another 15 miles if needed. Never used it, but good for peace of mind.

·         Helmet holder - Attaches to license plate bolts. This would not stop a thief with a bolt cutter, but provides an easy place to lock a helmet while you make a short stop at a restaurant or store.

This setup worked great for us. I felt that all of the luggage was very well attached to the bike, nothing ever loose or flapping, even with a few days of 80+ mph riding (some Utah freeways have an 80mph limit). The items in the Givi trunk and in the waterproof duffel were of course water proof. The Shad bags came with waterproof covers but everyone said those could not be counted to stay on at speed, so we carried plastic bags as liners if needed. In the short duration rains we experienced, nothing in the Shads got wet.

Suffice it to say that my daughter and I were very happy with the FZ-07 as a touring bike with these mods! I hope this provides incentive for others to think about getting out for some longer trips with their bike.

p.s. Sad to say that my daughter is now moving overseas, so the bike is going to be sold. If you know anyone that may be interested, here is the link:

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/d/yamaha-fz-07-with-touring/6324568633.html

59cd7b9f6af26_Shadpanniers.thumb.jpg.d9703f27400dfb0673efc6769313b240.jpg

Custom rack platform replaces rear seat. In addition to providing a trunk mount, straps holders enable secure mounting of a waterproof duffel bag.

59cd8247eb927_racktop.thumb.jpg.33c7223a2e78d45aa35a09a9e8a0c5af.jpg

Bottom view of platform showing attached rear seat pan, which acts as the mounting for the platform and can be easily removed and replaced with the original rear seat.

59cd824b51a36_rackbottom.thumb.jpg.aa3c277c7e48a4469e94076f4b52c625.jpg

• Premium Member

Very nice setup @vardo.  Love how you resolved the rear tank location mounting issue that I agree with you that there is not a good ready made solution for.

You didn't mention, or I completely missed, what tail luggage you used on your custom mount. I'll assume it's a Givi since you're using a Givi mount?  Could you specify what you used and whether it would hold a full face helmet?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I had thought that using the pillion seat was the best way of setting up a rear box for me. Interesting that Yam do a seat mount to make that easy though I would make my own box (for fun)

Just do it! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cecilia - The handlebars and instruments are stock. I added handlebar risers/barbacks and an instrument cluster riser.

SW-MOTECH Barback Riser Kit to fit 22mm Handlebars, 30mm rise (1.18in)

21mm back (0.83in) - available from Twisted Throttle (about $100)

Hepco & Becker 420.4537-02 Instrument Riser for Yamaha FZ-07 - available from Accessories International (about $40)

bar riser.jpg

instrument riser.jpg

On 10/20/2017 at 7:09 PM, mick97702 said:

Were all of the factory cables long enough for the risers? Did you have to do and rerouting?

That's what I want to know, also. Did you reroute the cable because mine, as they were, weren't long enough.

Beemer

Beemer, I remember you posting about trying to get your risers on but the cables were too short to do it. Just had an idea. If you get aftermarket barclamps that are over the top ov the triple clamp bolts that would move the bars closer to the front and you would need less cable. When you put risers on , the bars will sit even furthur back from the front  because of the angle back. That will require much longer cables.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

On 10/25/2017 at 4:37 PM, gregjet said:

Beemer, I remember you posting about trying to get your risers on but the cables were too short to do it. Just had an idea. If you get aftermarket barclamps that are over the top ov the triple clamp bolts that would move the bars closer to the front and you would need less cable. When you put risers on , the bars will sit even furthur back from the front  because of the angle back. That will require much longer cables.

I want the bars to be closer to me so that I'm not leaning forward to reach them. I guess I need longer cables, poo! 😝

Beemer

If you can move the levers towards the middle of the bars might help. I usually do anyway because I like my fingers on the max leverage on the levers. But those were pretty high I guess. Was It all cables or just the Brake ones. Hel will do longer and shorter ones if you ask them . I suspect the other manufacturers will as well. I used to order shorter ones for my race bikes.

Vardo, That is a good find. A few people will appreciate that one.

• 1 month later...
On 10/27/2017 at 7:22 PM, gregjet said:

If you can move the levers towards the middle of the bars might help. I usually do anyway because I like my fingers on the max leverage on the levers. But those were pretty high I guess. Was It all cables or just the Brake ones. Hel will do longer and shorter ones if you ask them . I suspect the other manufacturers will as well. I used to order shorter ones for my race bikes.

Sorry, I got distracted and forgot about this. that's a good idea. I do have shortie levers and they do feel good how it's set up now but maybe they will still feel good after moving them toward center. Come to think of it, my cables have stretched and I've had to adjust the slack out of them so now I'm thinking I can un adjust the slack, put the risers on and maybe they will fit without moving the levers inward. I have to take the cables off anyway to lube them (they're sticking and harder to pull) so I'll just do it all at once. Thanks for the tip! I think this is going to work even if I do have to move the levers in a little still. I get used to a lot of things, that should be minor.

Beemer

vardo - I'm just curious if you re upholstered the seat or installed a new seat. I didn't see mention of it or did I overlook it? So many people have complained about the seats foam being too soft and unsupportive, causing aches and pain within just 45 minutes of riding it so did you daughter do that trip with a stock seat? It's hard to imagine anyone doing that long a trip with a stock seat. 😬 My buns cringe at the thought, ha!

Beemer

Archived