The MT-07 Forum

Water Pump Cover Replacement

Grantassstic

Has anyone replaced the cover/housing for the water pump on the Fz-07? It's leaking from a slide on the right side of the bike. It's part number 34 here: http://oemparts.chaparral-racing.com/oemparts/a/yam/53a99b19f8700220a44158ba/water-pump 

Alternatively, should I have a shop do this? 

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rick for sharing that earlier pump fix.

Grantassstic, if it's under warranty take it to the dealer, if not you can easily fix this yourself if you are mechanically inclined and it's not the pump shaft seal (ceramic) and is just a warped housing as was my situation. It's a little more involved if it's the shaft seal. If it's the housing surface, drain the coolant, remove the cover, dress it flat, install a new 'o'ring and a smear of Loctite 518 sealant or product of your choice and reinstall. Leave some time for sealant to set before refilling with coolant. I dressed the housing with a large smooth file followed up by some lapping on a surface plate with a piece of 220 wet or dry sandpaper, wet with odorless mineral spirits or water.

Notice the shiny spots where the file removed the 3 high spots where the thru bolts come thru the cover. You could also buy a new cover of course but I'd still use a new o ring with sealant...Mark

20 hours ago, markstertt said:

Thanks Rick for sharing that earlier pump fix.

Grantassstic, if it's under warranty take it to the dealer, if not you can easily fix this yourself if you are mechanically inclined and it's not the pump shaft seal (ceramic) and is just a warped housing as was my situation. It's a little more involved if it's the shaft seal. If it's the housing surface, drain the coolant, remove the cover, dress it flat, install a new 'o'ring and a smear of Loctite 518 sealant or product of your choice and reinstall. Leave some time for sealant to set before refilling with coolant. I dressed the housing with a large smooth file followed up by some lapping on a surface plate with a piece of 220 wet or dry sandpaper, wet with odorless mineral spirits or water.

Notice the shiny spots where the file removed the 3 high spots where the thru bolts come thru the cover. You could also buy a new cover of course but I'd still use a new o ring with sealant...Mark

Thank you, this is very helpful! I'll try that route first. :)

Archived