The MT-07 Forum

Selfmade Analog Cockpit

stev74

• Global Moderator
3 hours ago, stev74 said:

Interesting idea. But then you have one working-step more and you still have the slow 3d printing for the inside? :)

Yes, but its not as time consuming as you dont have to 3d print it, then go through sand/smooth it all before painting it....so it bypasses one step by utilizing a second...

And if you put the print in the freezer before forming over it yiu'll have an interferenced fit cover :)

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
On 11/24/2017 at 11:32 AM, stev74 said:

short update:
At the moment I'm working on some final case parts of the cockpit.
Some detailwork but I think it looks not bad. Isn't it?
This red one will be for the MotoCage of my wife I think.

MT07_RedCockpit_small_MG_6406.jpg

Looks absolutely awesome!

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

3 hours ago, blackout said:

Looks absolutely awesome!

Thank you very much!!!

4 hours ago, sorkyah said:

Yes, but its not as time consuming as you dont have to 3d print it, then go through sand/smooth it all before painting it....so it bypasses one step by utilizing a second...

And if you put the print in the freezer before forming over it yiu'll have an interferenced fit cover

I don't know. I'm not really convinced :) I think I stick with molding and casting. :)

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
On 11/24/2017 at 12:32 PM, stev74 said:

short update:
At the moment I'm working on some final case parts of the cockpit.
Some detailwork but I think it looks not bad. Isn't it?
This red one will be for the MotoCage of my wife I think.

MT07_RedCockpit_small_MG_6406.jpg

Fantastic job--looks top notch.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

I'm curious about the responsiveness of the tach needle - will it be as responsive and quick as the cable-actuated of yesteryear?

Although I have no problem with the stock display, this is brilliant work Stev.

'16 Yamaha FZ-07, '15 Yamaha FZ-09

Stev, I still think a kit would be a great option for this design - it's too impressive to only have on one or two bikes.

You could even include the stl file for the 3d print, so we could make (or modify the housing to our liking) the housing ourselves. Also, easy enough to outsource to an online 3D print shop.

Would take some work, obviously, but at least you'd be able to recoup some time/$ from your project, and as you can tell, many of us are very interested in it. I know there's some delicate soldering, but maybe those points could be changed to fittings instead of direct solder?

Anyway, please give it some thought if it doesn't get to the marketplace some other way.

• 2 weeks later...

Status update:
Have worked more on 2 other smaller projects. I made an additional button with built-in LED that fits under the right handlebar-control. The button is ready. Was easier than the left double button for the cockpit control.
But what to do with this additional button?
The idea is either to use the additional button for auxiliary headlights or to control heated grips.
I designed two circuits for that. A kind of electronic relay (for the aux. headlights) and a gripheater-circuit. Both are done. I'm just doing some final tests.

It would then be possible to use this button together with the heatedgrips-control instead of the expensive original gripheaters. And it would look good too without all these additional mounted things on the handlebar. I'm not a fan of this.

About the cockpit. I now have a black one finished with expensive anti-glare glasses. I'll make soon some pictures of it.
What's up next is to make an Android app that sends via bluetooth a new firmware to the cockpit.
Was always afraid of that because I have no experience in making an Android App. But how hard can it be? :)
So completely new territory. Hope I get it out relatively quickly.

Wish you all a nice day!

Hello stev74,

I was wondering -since my original dash got stolen just today- how much would it be to get one from you. Have you got a price estimate yet, or is it too early?

1 hour ago, sunblock said:

Hello stev74,

I was wondering -since my original dash got stolen just today- how much would it be to get one from you. Have you got a price estimate yet, or is it too early?

I'm sorry its too early. My target was around 500€ but I'm still not sure if I will be able to sell it.

Dude, this is not right. Looooook how pretty and desirable . . . but you CAN'T HAVE IT!!!

Make it for sale, my friend.

Make. It. For. Sale.

• Premium Member

Absolutely beautiful and not to mention ingenious work. "Sad" because its not gracing my bike with its needled glory. ;)

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I totally agree with the above posts.... I want that cockpit on my bike too. Absolutely love your work!   BUT - if it will cost anywhere close to the 500 euro mark....hey presto, far too much. I see why you are hesitating to promise units for sale, it might just not be viable.... 

On 10/7/2017 at 2:32 AM, stev74 said:

yes thats also me in that forum.
My target is approx. 500€ with all options. Maybe there will be cheaper options without fm radio and stuff like this.

But I'm not sure right now if I can sell it by myself. I will first try to contact some motorcycle firms if anyone is interested and then I will see.

The problem is always that if I build this by myself, even if it costs 500€ or 600€...its a lot of work.
At the moment I handsolder the circuit. Alone for this I need maybe half a day if I'm fast. I think overall I would need for one cockpit about 3 days minimum.
How much gets a "cheap worker" for 3 days of working? I guess more than I would get. So thats a bit of a problem right now.

If no manufacturer wants it I guess I will build only very few if I'm bored at home.
But in the end I don't  really care. I just want to make a cool cockpit.

:)

Dude, I own three Yamaha Motorcycle forums, six Yamaha Facebook groups, three Yamaha Twitter pages, three Yamaha Google plus groups.

Figure out how to mas build it, I can sell it like nobody else you will ever meet. And then we can start selling them for every model of Yamaha. I'm not joking one bit. Sales/Marketing is what I do in my day job. 

thank you guys.
@sunblock: its a small LCD screen by electronics assembly.

@cruzin: how to mas build...thats very difficult unfortunately.  :/

Yamaha's FZ/MT is becoming their most successful bike ever. Yours could be a similar runaway success. I say again. Beautiful.

Just do it! 

On 12/19/2017 at 9:35 AM, stev74 said:

Today fotoshooting.
Analog custom cockit for the Yamaha MT-07/FZ-07.

In Black.

_MG_6543_srgb_small.jpg
_MG_6545_srgb_small.jpg
_MG_6548_srgb_small.jpg

In Red.
_MG_6535_srgb_small.jpg
_MG_6551_srgb_small.jpg
_MG_6553_srgb_small.jpg

VERY Impressive!  You did a great job with this!

On 20.12.2017 at 1:46 AM, patrolus said:

I totally agree with the above posts.... I want that cockpit on my bike too. Absolutely love your work!   BUT - if it will cost anywhere close to the 500 euro mark....hey presto, far too much. I see why you are hesitating to promise units for sale, it might just not be viable.... 

I'm not worried about the price. You will want one if I show you a nice video with all the featues it has. :)

Update: Just upgraded the firmware of the cockpit via bluetooth from my Android-Smartphone.
That was important.
Wish you all a nice x-mas and a happy new year!

On 12/22/2017 at 5:05 PM, stev74 said:

I'm not worried about the price. You will want one if I show you a nice video with all the featues it has. :)

OH noooooooo. I don't like you anymore!!! but ....what do I have to do to watch the video??

Archived