The MT-07 Forum

Selfmade Analog Cockpit

stev74

lol. You can demount the tach. The bike works great without it too.
You will safe some weight and gain a bit reaction time. :D

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/20/2017 at 7:33 AM, stev74 said:

Good idea., thx Beemer! The handlebar could be the antenna. I will try that because the length (or width) from the handlebar is nearly perfect.
If you put a antenna inside the handlebar this would block the signal completely. Its like a shielded cable...but the handlebar itself could be the antenna. *excited*
Will let you know how it works.

Any time I can affect someones endogenous opioid neuropeptides it's a good day. 😀 Please, let me know how it works. (Fingers crossed.)

Beemer

Ballasted antenna? Loop antenna in the back seat? Use a cable for you ear speakers as an antenna ( or co located in the wire set). Around the radiator . Loop on the front mudguard?

BTW what was the source of your FM noise. Was it the Power supply. Did you rf dampen it ( cap/inductor) initially?

Beemer.The handlebar would act as a faraday cage and no signal will get through.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

The source of the FM noise was the step down converter. It was placed too close to the FM Receiver IC. On the new PCBs I moved them more far away and also added some Ferrite Beads. Its gone now.

16 hours ago, gregjet said:

Ballasted antenna? Loop antenna in the back seat? Use a cable for you ear speakers as an antenna ( or co located in the wire set). Around the radiator . Loop on the front mudguard?

BTW what was the source of your FM noise. Was it the Power supply. Did you rf dampen it ( cap/inductor) initially?

Beemer.The handlebar would act as a faraday cage and no signal will get through.

That's what I thought also, thx!

Beemer

Had another thought about the aeriel. What a a sharkfin antenna on the front over the headlight. It would even mount on the front of a air dirverter or a screen and be about as far away from engine interference as it could be.  Even right back on the rear.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Universal-Shark-Fin-Aerial/355291

Pretty much goes with the bike sytling as well. Heaps of different shapes to choose from as well

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Global Moderator
On 10/19/2017 at 3:07 AM, stev74 said:

thanks a lot sorkah for that tip. Maybe I will try it one more time with the epoxacast 690.
The problem with the pointers are that it is so thin that it is bending when its more warm. In room temperature it was good.

I tried a bunch of them an all had the same problem. I tried also an epoxy resin but from another manufacturer....and it was the same.
Yes maybe an oven would help a lot. Never tried it with an oven. The problem is, even if its working...its getting too complicated for a simple pointer what costs normally 3$.
...and I would need so much time for just 2 small pointers. :)

Unfortunately I couldn't find a ponter for 3$ what fits perfect. But till now the best soltion is, buying a 3$ pointer and modify it till it fits.

This project is really much more complicated than expected. So many small problems.

Another thing you could try... (i know you have the molds made already)  make the pointers more of a triangular or oval cross section

the triangular would be preferred... because physics  :)

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

"make the pointers more of a triangular or oval cross section"

I'm afraid my english is too bad for such a sophisticated sentence. lol :)
What do you mean? Like the BMW?.BMW-Motorrad-cockpit-Instruments.jpg?143

• 5 weeks later...

short update:
At the moment I'm working on some final case parts of the cockpit.
Some detailwork but I think it looks not bad. Isn't it?
This red one will be for the MotoCage of my wife I think.

MT07_RedCockpit_small_MG_6406.jpg

4 hours ago, stev74 said:

short update:
At the moment I'm working on some final case parts of the cockpit.
Some detailwork but I think it looks not bad. Isn't it?
This red one will be for the MotoCage of my wife I think.

MT07_RedCockpit_small_MG_6406.jpg

Wow that looks awesome. Are you selling these?

• Global Moderator
On 10/25/2017 at 8:45 AM, stev74 said:

"make the pointers more of a triangular or oval cross section"

I'm afraid my english is too bad for such a sophisticated sentence. lol :)
What do you mean? Like the BMW?.BMW-Motorrad-cockpit-Instruments.jpg?143

Not the overall shape, 

Imagine staring at the needle from the tip looking towards the mount hole.  cutting the needle length in half between the mount point and the needle tip. That would be the cross section. If you made that cross section triangular in shape it would be more stable due to the physics of a triangle as well as the thicker bottom  supporting the weight

Thank you very much guys!!!

13 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

Wow that looks awesome. Are you selling these?

We will see. I'm not entirely sure if its possible. There are several possibilities in my mind right now. First I'll offer it to some small motorcycle manufactures and custom bike workshops. If this will fail I could make a few pieces for some freaks I guess. Right now every part is handmade and needs too much time for making lots of them. But anyway I learned so much with this project. I guess in some years, when 3d printers are faster and more accurate (and a bit cheaper), this would all be a lot easier.

53 minutes ago, sorkyah said:

Not the overall shape, 

Imagine staring at the needle from the tip looking towards the mount hole.  cutting the needle length in half between the mount point and the needle tip. That would be the cross section. If you made that cross section triangular in shape it would be more stable due to the physics of a triangle as well as the thicker bottom  supporting the weight

Ah I understand. It was related to the casting and the bending caused by heat. Maybe it would work with the resin you told me. I found another solution. I use now a pointer from a ford mustang I think....not so expensive but very good quality. I cut the needle, sand and polish it and make my own needle-cap. Before I used a needle from an Audi A8...was very good quality too but the Mustang needle I like even more.
Its a good idea with ths triangular shape but keep in mind you have to balance it. So if you add weight to the needle you maybe need a bigger cap to house the counterweight.

• Global Moderator
9 hours ago, stev74 said:

Thank you very much guys!!!

We will see. I'm not entirely sure if its possible. There are several possibilities in my mind right now. First I'll offer it to some small motorcycle manufactures and custom bike workshops. If this will fail I could make a few pieces for some freaks I guess. Right now every part is handmade and needs too much time for making lots of them. But anyway I learned so much with this project. I guess in some years, when 3d printers are faster and more accurate (and a bit cheaper), this would all be a lot easier.

Ah I understand. It was related to the casting and the bending caused by heat. Maybe it would work with the resin you told me. I found another solution. I use now a pointer from a ford mustang I think....not so expensive but very good quality. I cut the needle, sand and polish it and make my own needle-cap. Before I used a needle from an Audi A8...was very good quality too but the Mustang needle I like even more.
Its a good idea with ths triangular shape but keep in mind you have to balance it. So if you add weight to the needle you maybe need a bigger cap to house the counterweight.

Sweet 

Again if you want to sell off a kit... i have a 3d printer and would even go so far as molding/casting the housing/lenses  to show off the awesomeness inside :)

And for 3d printer kits the TEVO line is pretty inexpensive and a good starter

ah yes making a kit could be an option too.

I already have a 3d-printer (Zortrax M200). Without it this project would be completely impossible. 
What I wanted to say is that it would be cool if you could print "production like" parts what you can use without post-machining.
...in some years maybe.

• Global Moderator

Depending on the printer... 

Some of the formlabs Resin printers have insane resolution... 10 microns(±4) 

but cost is horrid... 

Zortrax makes a damned good printer but the proprietary filament is a bitch

It all comes down to print time that you're willing to accept, and how much money you have

From my experience you always have to sand afterwards, even the formlabs parts.

I use sometimes SLA printed parts for making the "masterform" what I then mold/cast.
(3dhubs is a cool tool for that)
For making a prototype its awesome but for producing something its not working.

Not to mention that the case of the cockpit for example woudln't even fit into a formlabs 2 printer.

And even if it would...it would print forever. :)

I saw some time ago that HP is selling a new 3d printer technique what is much faster. I think they cost about 100.000 or more.

28 minutes ago, faffi said:

I think the best thing would be to vacuum form it for limited mass production.

I'm afraid this is not working for a cockpit case. The outside shape is not the same like the inside shape.

• Global Moderator
4 hours ago, stev74 said:

I'm afraid this is not working for a cockpit case. The outside shape is not the same like the inside shape.

What about vaccum forming the outside and then 3d printing the interior support structure 

16 hours ago, sorkyah said:

What about vaccum forming the outside and then 3d printing the interior support structure 

Interesting idea. But then you have one working-step more and you still have the slow 3d printing for the inside? :)

Archived