The MT-07 Forum

What other bikes in your Garage?

pjfz1

The recent thread about bikes you missed from your past made me wonder what other bikes the riders here have in their garages. from the posts I see, I think we've got a combination of some relatively new riders, and some riders who have been around the block.

I've been involved in FZ1's since the beginning, and will always have one as my go-to,

but we've got a rental fleet and a few other personal bikes: We've got 2 GSXR's,  Street triple R's, one regular Triple, 2 Daytona's. an FZ09,A monster 696, 2 other 1st Gen FZ1's, a Suzuki M50, and VStar 650, and 2 CRF 230's.

What else is living in your garage?

• Premium Member

got a FZ-07 and a FJ-09 😀

not to trash the little twin motor but man that little sultry minx of a triple motor is something to behold when its properly tuned 😍

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Currently have two project bikes up on lifts. A '82XL500S and a CB1100F. The CB1100F is getting full sport bike suspension swapped on and 17's. 

There's a chopped, raked and stretch '67 BSA Lightning frame waiting for me to find a motor for, and a shafty V4 Magna 750 engine that I am going to build a hardtail frame for. Oh, and the Ironhead that will be dualsported. 

Currently on the road is a tagged XR400, and nearly on the road is '78 CB750K I did a tracker build out of. ZX6 rear swinger, CBR1000 forks, handbuilt hydraulic clutch, handbuilt pipes,XR750 tail, XS750 tank, CBR rear brakes, Ducati front rotor with a Hayabusa caliper, 3/4 of the frame was built by hand, etc.  She's a whopper at 36" seat height and 12" ground clearance to the bottom rails lol

mockup-2-21-2015.jpg

clutch_cover.jpg

Have you managed to take an old 736cc CB750 up to 1100cc :o

In addition to my 2015 MT-07 with upgraded suspension, I have ny 1982 XV750 Virago Scrambler build with 1100 engine and 18" rear whell +++

Also have a 1953 Royal Enfield 700 in non-running condition. 

And then there is the Honda CB400SF from 1992 that I totalled last Monday.

4 hours ago, glockpointer said:

I thought there was already a thread on this?

There is an old thread but it doesn't hurt to have a fresh one.

Grom, R3, and gsxr 750.  Each bike has its attraction. Grom is for winter riding when the others are parked. It's surprising how many times I'll pick the R3 over the gsxr and fz07.

Rode the fz07 today but was wishing I was on one of the others(not grom). Sorry.

On 9/30/2017 at 3:31 PM, faffi said:

Have you managed to take an old 736cc CB750 up to 1100cc :o

I haven't, but I do think about those 1036 kits often! 😈  125 rwhp out of a late '60's-early '70's air cooled SOHC four??? Hellz yeah...nobody would see that coming...

I did have a DOHC CB750F that was bored to 823cc and turned up quite a bit. Dyno'd at a little under 100hp at the tire. That old girl would scoot. Unfortunately, it scooted along a little better than the chassis liked.

The old DOHC 750 shared the cases with the CB900F and CB1100F. 100 rwhp from 823cc of ancient technology is very respectable - the included valve clearances on those old engines were not ideal for power production. The chassis design was pretty good - production was sloppy at best. My brother and I both had CB1100s; his would wobble in anything resembling a corner above 100 mph and sooner in hard cornering, mine was dead stable sliding around 100 mph corners and also doing 125 around bumby bends with everything on the deck. A German magazine tested a bunch of frames, and the one off a brand new CB900F was so skewed the laboratory was certain it had been crashed! But when everything lined up perfectly (by chance) they handled very well. 

BTW, in that fra test, only BMW and Kawasaki delivered solely flawless straight frames.

I have a 2006 GSXR 600 I picked up for $500 about a year and a half ago (it sat for nearly 4 years).  In fact, it's what got me riding again after about a 3 year break.  I knew I wanted something more comfortable with a better street powerband and that's how I ended up here.  It's fun to rip through corners but it doesn't take a genius to realize it belongs on the track.  I'm going to try and put it there next year but I would really like to get a trailer this winter.  It needs new tires due to age and I have a bunch of new parts to through on this winter not to mention it is ugly as sin with a texture black rattle can job.  The wife insists I should sell it because I don't ride it enough but hopefully I can change that next year.  I was going to post a pic but apparently it's too big and I have no idea how to shrink it.

When I had my apartment, I was pretty limited on space, so I kept it down to 3 bikes at all times, and cycled out a few to cover different disciplines. The FZ is my street bike, and the others are a KX65 with supermoto wheels that I use for mobbing around on kart tracks (and doing two strokey power wheelies), and my Ninja 250 that's been my long time race bike for big tracks. I really want to add a dirt bike to the stable again once I've got a set storage place again.

In the past I had an SV650 (which was replaced with my FZ for street duty), and a crf230 (which got sacked for my kx65 because road racing was the priority). My partner has an '03 FZ1, so I guess that's also kind of in my stable, too

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

Plated 2003 Honda XR400 I use as a dual sport. Mainly gravel roads and 2 tracks around me. Also a 2004 KTM 450 EXC enduro (MI. street legal also) I use when I go camping and ride the MCCT trails. The FZ-07 is my first dedicated street bike. Been riding that mainly this year. Only had the Honda out twice in the spring before I picked up the FZ.

Have had quads before, few other older dirt bikes as well but no longer own them. Basically been riding "something" since I was 12 (31 years).

14 hours ago, faffi said:

Wien is pretty close to Germany - how are your TÜV compared to your fellow neighbour's?

Not so ridiculous like in Germany. :)

Grip it & Rip it

1990 FZR 400 3BF that was probably tracked previously with a 520 chain conversion, sprocket change, and fan connected to a switch. Just hit 40k miles and still runs great, though she takes a few minutes to warm up and I've spent a fair bit of money on maintanance. They weren't sold here for very long and not many were imported so parts are pretty hard to impossible to find- but the worst is getting good tires for the thing because of the 18" 140/60 rear wheel. Pretty much the only option for radials is the battlax BT090 (the shinkos are trash) and it took me months to find a place in the UK that would ship me the tire. Needless to say, I am insane. Having a new, common bike like the 07 with all of it's aftermarket support is amazing by comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

Grip it and Rip it,

After all my rabbiting on about the 07's rear tyre being too big, I suspect the 140 BT90 may be a bit small for the weight and savagery of the FZR4003bf. I was running a 160/60-17 BT90 on the NSR250 ( converted to full HP) on the track and it was about the right size. And on a VTR250 on the track ( 140/60) which was burnishing quite nicely. I suspect you will be overloading that tyre on the track and on the road It won't heat up enough. They are very sensitive to temperature. 18's are always gonna be a problem to get though. I LOVE the 90 but it has it's limitations. Originally designed as a motard tyre I believe ( I stand to be corrected). They are getting VERY hard to get as well. Did a check and not much available nowdays in 18, though if you know anyone in the classic racing, they often have access to tyre places that have really good 18's. Dunlop makes some great classic racing 18's.

Or you could see if you can find a  good 17" rear wheel It will be easier to get good tyres.I believe an xjr400 90 - 94 17: wheel fits with a little modding.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Kymco Venox 250 cruiser. About as different from an MT-07 as is possible. Suspension's similarly poor, though.

DSCN0049.jpg

Just do it! 

My other bike I purchased in the Spring with 8200 miles on it.  1985 VF500 Interceptor.

VF500.jpg

"Send lawyers, guns, and money."  W. Zevon

Archived