The MT-07 Forum

Yamaha MT-07 to get an MT-10 face transplant

magdfarid

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2017 at 4:19 AM, DewMan said:

Fugly or not.... if it works better than the poorly focused dim candle  of a stock headlight, I'm all for it.

Good observation! I don't like the looks of it but looking at it from that angle, with the stock pos light in mind, it is a great improvement. If not in the looks dep. at least in the effectivenesss dep.

Beemer

You might want to get used to it. Unless they come up with a different approach to the lighting system, that LED style will become more and more common in some form. Certainly until they can make a single properly illuminating emmitter/projection set. It may not come.

You may note that cars have 2 headlights, which was partly because originally one bulb wasn't enough to illuminate the road for the speeds ( ummmmm! 6v electrics and prewar incandescent bulbs...tasty). 2 headlights hasn't really been necessary for decades. Now partly for look ( the current Manga look motorcycle headlights isn't all that old in motorcycle history, but everyone whinges when someone brings out something different), laziness on the part of car designers, the slight advantage of two light sources giving a slightly better depth perception( only sort of true) and mostly because legislators stupidly limited the wattage that automotive lights could emit legally ( another case untended conequences). To be honest, considering the light shape need of cars a single low oval beam would be optimium probably with about 3 times the light lux at the required distance. Insurence companies would love it, car manufacturers would hate it ( most replaced crash item is the headlights because they are on the corners). Same reason that we have these stupid "bespoke for model" headlight shapes. You have to buy the manufacturers overdesigned but no better function headlights.

You may note with LEDs that the light set no long will have to be where is currently is for good function. Mainly because it can be much lighter, and will continue to get lighter, and smaller. It will probably stay there because motorcyclists will whinge about how it doesn't look like a "proper " motorcycle. My preference would be for a high placed  emmitter for low beam angled down and another additional beam at wheel level somewhere, for distance projection. Bauhaus rules OK!

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived