The MT-07 Forum

Massachusetts After Market Exhaust

Thartr

Hey everyone, 

Im going to be getting an Fz07 in the spring and was curious if anyone had any trouble with getting your bike inspected or getting pulled over in Massachusetts due to your after market exhaust? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/23/2017 at 1:45 PM, Thartr said:

Hey everyone, 

Im going to be getting an Fz07 in the spring and was curious if anyone had any trouble with getting your bike inspected or getting pulled over in Massachusetts due to your after market exhaust? 

Inspection won't be an issue unless your shop is uptight. If it is, try a Harley shop. What part of the state are you in?

I brought mine in briefly today (unrelated to inspection) with the full Yosh R77, no baffle, and when I mentioned putting it in the tech said only, "It's maybe a little much". I've had loud bikes for years and have never been pulled over. The key really is to just take it easy in town, don't rev it up late at night, etc. Even if you do get stopped by a cop in a particularly bad mood, you're very likely to get a "fix it" ticket as long as you're cool about it.

I know nothing of Mass, but I do know that many local municipalities are cracking down on loud bikes.  The AMA has been very informative on this, I have never had a bike inspected or had to get smogged as far as I know this is not mandated yet by the stinking freakin feds but it is coming.  Most recent is Vance and Hines adding FED approaved exhausts for HD.  This is why the Loud Pipes Save lives bullshit is killing us

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

One of the Advantages of going with MIVV Pipes is that they are TUV approved, which is accepted by the D.O.T., and the pipes aren't stamped "for race use only" and come with a certification card.

They make them with an easily removable Db killer installed, and you can remove it (in which case you "modified" the pipe" and put it back in in a matter of seconds.

I don't know about Mass, But NYC went through period of ticketing parked bikes with aftermarket exhausts that were stamped for race use only, and parts of California occasionally does it.  Apparently you have to find an officer who's bored or wants easy tickets to get in that situation.

35 minutes ago, pjfz1 said:

I don't know about Mass, But NYC went through period of ticketing parked bikes with aftermarket exhausts that were stamped for race use only, and parts of California occasionally does it.  Apparently you have to find an officer who's bored or wants easy tickets to get in that situation.

Ya here is one of them CHP cops chacing one of them Hoolagins in Commifornia, then giving him a warning.

The CHP bike is a actual CHP Officer.  Is one of the biggest advocates for motorcyclists in the Bay Area.  Super nice guy one fast MoFo too and Trackmonkey (111) is no Sloutch on the R1

SearsPoint 017.jpg

SearsPoint 032.jpg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived