The MT-07 Forum

Gas mileage doesn't seem right?

drewpy302

So, I got an FZ-07 a couple weeks ago for my first street bike of my own, and I love it. I just had a quick question about the mileage. According to the bike, I've been averaging between 12-13 mpg since I got it. I've been riding it pretty hard, but that still doesn't seem right at all. Plus, I got around 100 miles on the first full tank I put in it, running 93 octane. I've searched the forum, and it doesn't seem like anyone else has a reading of 12 mpg. Is there maybe a way to reset it that I don't know about yet? 

12mpg won't get you 100 miles to a tank. If you used the entire 3.7 gallon tank at 12 mpg you would only be able to travel 44.4 miles. 

I flog mine pretty hard and stay around 42-45 mpg. That's with me staying at half to wide open throttle and using 75-90% of the rev range. Unless I'm straight up highway cruising. My mix of playing/flogging and cruising is 50/50. 

Any chance you've somehow got it reading metric measurements by accident? Maybe it's reading liters/ 100km or something?

It says how to reset your average mpg in the owner's manual. I think you just cycle through the display and with the average mpg's blinking, hold the right button until it resets. Either way that read out is rarely accurate for me. I just calculate it at the pump. Ringing it out I still get 45-50 mpg ('murican).

55 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

12mpg won't get you 100 miles to a tank. If you used the entire 3.7 gallon tank at 12 mpg you would only be able to travel 44.4 miles. 

I flog mine pretty hard and stay around 42-45 mpg. That's with me staying at half to wide open throttle and using 75-90% of the rev range. Unless I'm straight up highway cruising. My mix of playing/flogging and cruising is 50/50. 

Any chance you've somehow got it reading metric measurements by accident? Maybe it's reading liters/ 100km or something?

Metric would be ~13km/L = 30mpg, so that's believable if really getting on it and never cruising.  

Liters / 100km? WTF did I write? lol.

Yeah, I think he's on metric readout, but should he also be seeing kilometers on the Speedometer readout then? 

I accidentally switched my speedo to read km/hour. Have no idea how I did it and man was I scratching my head for a bit on that ride when I looked down and it said 100 - wtf! - no way was I going that fast. lol. Yep, it's gotta be reading liters.

But I pay absolutely no attention to that mpg gadget. It's only taking a guess based mostly on the throttle position sensor. As long as my car is moving, when I let off the gas pedal completely, that  feature will read 99 mpg on the dash. If only my Subaru Outback could get that kinda mileage.

What's more important is  how much fuel it takes to fill at whatever mileage. But if the thing is only getting 100 miles with a 3 gallon fill, well, I believe in a fairly vigorous break-in, but that might be a tad too hard.

BTW, 93 octane fuel is just a waste of money in this bike. The book says 87, mine will run OK on this, but I usually up it to 89.

Thanks for the responses guys. It may be reading kilometers, for sure. That makes sense. And I'm not sure if it was a full 3.7 gallon fill-up. It was on the last blip on the E, and I put gas in the tank till it clicked and was about 2.6 gallons or so that I added to it. 

the only way to check accurately your mpg is to fill up before your ride.

when the times come to fill up write your mileage down and keep your receipt.

theres 3.78 ltrs to a us gallon.so if you did 105 miles and used 5.6 ltrs 

105 divide that by 5.6 =18 miles x 3.78 = 70 mpg etc

5 hours ago, johnakay said:

the only way to check accurately your mpg is to fill up before your ride.

when the times come to fill up write your mileage down and keep your receipt.

theres 3.78 ltrs to a us gallon.so if you did 105 miles and used 5.6 ltrs 

105 divide that by 5.6 =18 miles x 3.78 = 70 mpg etc

Gotta love that math

5 hours ago, drewpy302 said:

Thanks for the responses guys. It may be reading kilometers, for sure. That makes sense. And I'm not sure if it was a full 3.7 gallon fill-up. It was on the last blip on the E, and I put gas in the tank till it clicked and was about 2.6 gallons or so that I added to it. 

Don't think anyone's gotten Yamaha's claimed 3.7galloans in. 3.3 is probably more realistic

• Premium Member

I wonder how long it took Yamaha to pour in 3.7gals 😏

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

Still trying to figure out the gas thing myself. My first full tank got me a low fuel warning at 103 miles. Filled it back up at 107 and it only took 2.3 gallons. I'm going to have to fill up a fuel bottle and run it until it dies to see how much range it actually has. 

• Premium Member

when the last bar starts flashing it means your on Reserve...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

22 hours ago, norcal616 said:

I wonder how long it took Yamaha to pour in 3.7gals 1f60f.png

If you fill up while the engine's running and pour it veeeerrrry slowly, like a gallon every couple of hours, you can probably get 3.7 gallons in.  Maybe even more.  😁

I thought each of the six fuel bars represented a half gallon each. So, using up all six fuel bars ( 3 gallons) puts you on "reserve", or the flashing fuel bar- meaning you were on your last .7 gallons of fuel. 

So is it a known fact that the tank doesn't actually hold 3.7 gallons?

I really miss petcocks with a reserve function. Such a reassuring feeling...

On 23/09/2017 at 9:02 AM, rick said:

Don't think anyone's gotten Yamaha's claimed 3.7galloans in. 3.3 is probably more realistic

I've put in 3.61 gallons once. Took my time, stood the bike up and all that. No need to go that far though

You might be on a km/l setting which would give you about 8L/100km which translates to around 29mpg. Still high usage but that'll give you about 100 miles for the tank. Take a photo of your dash while on that setting so we can see whats going on. 

Failing that, when you take off just shift the left foot pedal up and that should put it in 2nd gear. Repeat to go up more gears 😜

48 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

I thought each of the six fuel bars represented a half gallon each. So, using up all six fuel bars ( 3 gallons) puts you on "reserve", or the flashing fuel bar- meaning you were on your last .7 gallons of fuel. 

So is it a known fact that the tank doesn't actually hold 3.7 gallons?

I really miss petcocks with a reserve function. Such a reassuring feeling...

Sadly thats not the case at all. I regularly see 120km with all 6 bars still there. Havent quite worked out which bar is how much. I just work it out based on avg l/km and go from there

Fuel taps, lol. Gone the way kick starters on street bikes. 

I don't think I've ever put more than 2.8 gallons in with the light flashing and trip meter counting up - btw, I hate that feature. 

Because the tanks are relatively small and almost always have an odd shape, think you'll find that most motorcycle fuel gauges are not very linear. My Aprilia's is no better, but has a 5.5 gallon capacity.  Think you'll also find there's some variation in each fuel level sender inside the tank. The float moves a variable resistor that the ECU converts to a level. So there's gonna be some mechanical variation from part to part. And because it's measuring resistance, maybe even variations in the fuel can have an effect. 

But think about it - if you could overfill the tank to the top of the filler neck, the gauge will read Full for more miles than it would if the fuel level was right where the float tops out - and that's not likely right at the top the tank anyway.

So yeah, ya ride and ride with the thing saying 6 bars - sweet, it'll never run to of fuel - and then all of a sudden, it starts to drop quickly. 

So think of that flashing last bar as your old fuel tap in need of a reach to flip to reserve. That old R90/6 in my avatar had a fuel tap on both sides. i don't miss having to reach down  mid turn or to finish a pass. 

Oh, I've also been carrying a small fuel bottle since new. Haven't needed it - yet. 

Archived