The MT-07 Forum

Clutch cable lubrication using a lubricating tool! '16 Yamaha FZ07

magdfarid

In this video I walk you through the process of clutch cable lubrication on my 2016 Yamaha FZ07, using a lubricator tool.

Ride safe.

31 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

Wow, you are on a roll! 

PS: when are you gonna upgrade that exhaust?  Could make a great tech tip! 

LOL, well it's not that easy to get parts where I live (Yemen). I'll make one as soon as I can :)

SORRY NEVER USE PLYERS

But great tutorial

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• 8 months later...
firstyammerha

way back in the day, I would lube my dirt bike cables using a plastic sandwich bag. Cut a corner off the baggie and insert the cable into the baggie about an inch past where the plastic cable sheath enters. Wrap a bread bag tie tightly around the outside of the bag at the cable entry point and then fill the baggie with a light oil like WD40 so that an oil pool was formed above the point where the cable came out of the cable sheath. Arrange the bag and cable in a vertical position as well as possible and walk away to do something else. Check on the oil drainage progress from time to time, watching for oil seeping out of the cable at the lower end and keep adding oil until the seepage appears to be heavy enough to make the cable saturation effective. This was out of some old bike magazine when two strokes were in. 

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, firstyammerha said:

way back in the day, I would lube my dirt bike cables using a plastic sandwich bag. Cut a corner off the baggie and insert the cable into the baggie about an inch past where the plastic cable sheath enters. Wrap a bread bag tie tightly around the outside of the bag at the cable entry point and then fill the baggie with a light oil like WD40 so that an oil pool was formed above the point where the cable came out of the cable sheath. Arrange the bag and cable in a vertical position as well as possible and walk away to do something else. Check on the oil drainage progress from time to time, watching for oil seeping out of the cable at the lower end and keep adding oil until the seepage appears to be heavy enough to make the cable saturation effective. This was out of some old bike magazine when two strokes were in. 

This is how I do it also, but just use regular motor oil, But I also added another baggie on the bottom of the hanging cable to collect the drips to keep the mess to a minimum and let it hang overnight.  👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

firstyammerha

Dewman, never thought of that! I could have reused that oil from the lower end of the cable. No telling how much oil I wasted over the years.  

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, firstyammerha said:

Dewman, never thought of that! I could have reused that oil from the lower end of the cable. No telling how much oil I wasted over the years.  

Don't feel too bad... depending how much gunk you flush out you may not have wanted to reuse it. ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Archived