The MT-07 Forum

Clear up FTECU confusion for me?

digitalsteve

Can I just get this clarified, as I'm confused as balls....

If I get the FTECU interface AND the active tune kit, the bike self-tunes; right?!

So if you weren't near a dyno and/or tuner, this would be the way to go?

• Premium Member

you will need to set the AFR values you want the active tuner to tune to... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

On 20/09/2017 at 2:54 PM, norcal616 said:

you will need to set the AFR values you want the active tuner to tune to... 

Ugh.... so lost now. 

• Premium Member

AFR= fuel to air ratio... 14.1 is perfect burn...you can go richer by going to 13.1 for example or go lean at 15.1 for example... 

its my understanding you can load PCV maps onto the Active Tune which already has pre-set AFR values... 

the active tune will check what the wideband sensor is reading and compare it to the AFR values that are preset and make adjustments accordingly to achieve the preset AFR values...

you dont need the bench tuning kit if thats what you mean by interface... your ECU just needs to be sent to FTech to allow the active tuner to work...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

5 hours ago, norcal616 said:

AFR= fuel to air ratio... 14.1 is perfect burn...you can go richer by going to 13.1 for example or go lean at 15.1 for example... 

Correction - 14.7 is 'perfect' from a stoichiometry perspective for non-ethanol gasoline. This value changes a lot with added alcohol though largely because of the extra oxygen content. Closer to the high 12's will give best power though (heavily dependent on engine parameters) because oxygen in the burned gas can dissociate and burn twice if there is excess fuel. 

18 hours ago, norcal616 said:

its my understanding you can load PCV maps onto the Active Tune which already has pre-set AFR values... 

the active tune will check what the wideband sensor is reading and compare it to the AFR values that are preset and make adjustments accordingly to achieve the preset AFR values...

you dont need the bench tuning kit if thats what you mean by interface... your ECU just needs to be sent to FTech to allow the active tuner to work...

So, grab the whole kit ($700+ USD), load up relevant maps for my setup and then the ActiveTune will.... actively manipulate the tune, or log what it wanted to do and you can then apply those changes to basemap?

• Premium Member

@ rhb  could you chime in please...

Probably could clarify that: Rapid Bike Evo is similar to a PCV but instead of having to download a map or flash the Ecu or purchase a separate Auto tuner add on, the unit is an all in 1 solution. The rapidbike is set from their factory or dealer with presets based on either a stock unmodified bike or a bike that has modifications on it. The unit then Auto-tunes by itself based off the readings of the stock O2 sensor and after a few miles the bike will have mapped itself , and it'll continue making adjustments based on seasonal air temp changes, altitudes , future intake/exhaust modifications. 

It has optional add on modules , something called "my tune" that is an additional wideband o2 sensor , from what I've read it simply cuts down on the time it takes for the main module to zero in on the perfect AFR setup for the bike , it might open up software options as far as ignition tables but I know for sure they sell something called the Rapid Bike racing module that already allows software changes via computer to adjust things like ignition tables and stuff.

https://rapidbike.us/p/faq

Archived