The MT-07 Forum

Let's talk tires

rocky1247

Got a puncture in my original front tire, time to replace and upgrade. Riding in cali, I want an aggressive slick grip tire with some slight tread for the light rain we'll likely see. Anyone have suggestions or experience? Stock wheels, and one size up in width for the front and rear tire is expected.

Lots on this forum about tyres for this big. Going bigger is a complete waste of time and money. The rear is over the necessary size stock. Have a look in tyre section there is a posted link to motorcycles tyre choice video. The racer boys seem to have a thing for DunlopQ3's at the moment. For the road , I am a Pirelli Pilot Road 4 guy.

I would go a size SMALLER on the back ( 170/60) and drop a profile size on the front (120/60). Better profile matching and less weight ( so better accelleration). The 170/60 is almost the same diameter as the 180/55 so speedo won't be effected much

Edited by gregjet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Global Moderator

I am thinking of the Pilot Power 3 for my next tire.  I have not even ordered them yet so do not wait for my opinion. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Bridgestone S21's are a great track and street tire.  Have not been caught in the rain yet though.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Mounted myself and used Counteract balance beads to balance.  Tough job, but went Ok. 

0707170722.jpg

0730171718-1.jpg

0704171322.jpg

0704171355.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, rick said:

Nice rim protectors. What brand are they?

Pro Motion I believe.  Bought from STG or Revzilla. 

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

1 hour ago, blackout said:

Pro Motion I believe.  Bought from STG or Revzilla. 

Yep, Motion Pro. Far nicer than the ones I use.

I used to do tires with clamps and irons - it always worked, but these big tires are no fun w/o having a stand with clamps to hold the rim. Takes a little investment for the gear, but worth it for me.

One thing that will really make that job easier and is cheap is proper tire mounting lubricant. I use this stuff. It's meant to be diluted with water (it's a translucent gel in the tub), but can be used straight for a really stubborn tire. It's stupid slippery and won't hurt tire or rim. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/xtra-seal-8-lb.-murphy-s-compound-14-708/28200405-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=28200405-P&c3apidt=24654097046&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzZL3lcO01gIVx1uGCh3k2A9QEAYYASABEgLa0_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

As for sticky tires for the street, the S21 Bridgestones get nice write-ups.

Yeah, S21's were good on the DRZ400SM but it's a very light bike. Nice to know they work on the 07 as well. Certainly a lot less harsh than the 23's.

I like those rim protectors. Never seen them before. Since I discovered a local shop that will fit the tyres for nothing ( if you buy the new ones from them) if you take the wheels in off the bike and I am no longer racing ( sob, sob) I haven't had much need for them.

Keep seeing mention of the stock tires being "harsh", and I'm not ashamed to say today I don't know what that means lol. 

I find no problems wish the 023's grip, but I'm curious about this harsh thing. 

To me, harsh means that they don't absorb bumps very well because they feel stiff.

My FZ-07 came with the Bridgestone BT023, too, and I didn't feel they were bad, either.

In fact, I would use them again if I had to.

I only changed them when they were worn enough to justify doing so, and when I did, I went with my preferred Michelin Pilot Powers in the stock sizes.

Edited by YZEtc
  • Thanks 1

It's a carcass feel thing. Kinda like whether you like setting you brakes up with a hard small modulation range or softer longer range. Some tyres "feel" like they are solid some feel more compliant to the road surface. Not directly air pressure related although that is a side factor. Mixture of tread rubber compound and carcass rubber compound, profile, suspension reatcion to any tyre bounce and carcass construction. Most people don't notice and don't care ( or at least think they don't notice).  This is NOT about how the tyre grips/releases. it is about how your hands feel the road surface and how your feet and bum read the road.

The two most liked tyres on this forum appear to be at the opposite ends of the harsh/compliant spectrum. Lots of riders like the solid feel of the Dunlop Q3's and lots like the feel of the Pirelli PR4's. Both work VERY well grip wise but feel completely different.

Bridgies USUALLY feel compliant, but the ones fitted to the 07 OEM don't. They feel ( to me at least) like Dunlops usually do.

This whole thing is bought home big time in MotoGP. The feel difference between Michies and Bridgies is slight, but enough to upset the riders and set up guys when trying to optimise track feedback. Bridgies feel jus a bit more "harsh".

It also shows up if you live where the road surfaces are macro surface texture rough and/ or lumpy surfaces ( potholes, bumps etc).

To be fair , it is me that bangs on about harshness of the bridges on this forum the most, though I am not alone. It IS an opinion not a provable fact.

I haven't used the latest versions of Michies Pilot Powers, so they may may also improved their wet performance, but I prefer the PR4's for their huge weather range handling capacity on my road bikes.

Edited by gregjet
addition and correction
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2017 at 12:24 PM, blackout said:

Bridgestone S21's are a great track and street tire.  Have not been caught in the rain yet though.

I've used these and no complaints. They were grippy, nice profile, felt great and good mileage for as soft as they are. I don't race or ride real fast so I honestly don't need that good a tire.

Beemer

We Mount and go through ALOT of Tires.

Bridgestone S21's are a great combination of grip, Wear, and price. They are as good or better than the Q3, with 30-40% more milage

If you really don't care about longevity, Michelin Power RS.

• Thanks 1

• Global Moderator
23 minutes ago, pjfz1 said:

We Mount and go through ALOT of Tires.

Bridgestone S21's are a great combination of grip, Wear, and price. They are as good or better than the Q3, with 30-40% more milage

If you really don't care about longevity, Michelin Power RS.

Do you have any experience with the Pilot Power 3?  I am thinking about going with those next but only know what I have read about them.  I do not know anyone who has used them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

Do you have any experience with the Pilot Power 3?  I am thinking about going with those next but only know what I have read about them.  I do not know anyone who has used them. 

Yes, we've mounted a few sets of them for locals.  Good tire, Great grip in the wet, and the 2CT compound helps longevity.  I'd have no problem with them as a sporty tire, but wouldn't commute on them, as they aren't designed to be a high mileage tire. Less mileage than a Q3 from what we've seen, but better grip.

• Like 1

Depends on the kind of feel you're looking for as well. 

Most major tire manufacturers are making excellent tires, it's more of a matter of how you like your bike to feel.

For example I'm running Bridgestone S21's right now. I started with Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's and HATED how those felt on this specific bike. The S21's give me the exact feel I'm looking for and that compliments my riding style.

Still, the breadown is:

Dunlop Q3 - excellent street/moderate track tire. Thick carcass. Has a very solid feel. Sticky , longevity = medium

Michelin Pilot Power 2ct - excellent street tire. Thin carcass. Adapts to road surface very well but can feel "squishy".  Fairly sticky, longevity = medium

Michelin Pilot Power RS - excellent fast street/track tire. Thin carcass, adapts to road surface well without feeling squishy. Extremely sticky, longevity = low

Michelin Pilot Road 3/4 - excellent street touring tire. Medium carcass, solid tire for touring. Fairly sticky, longevity = high

Bridgestone S21 - excellent street/slow track tire. Thick carcass, stable. Heats more quickly than Q3 and lasts longer, similar feel. Sticky, longevity = medium

Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3 - excellent street/slow track tire. Thin carcass, stable. Heats vert quickly. Sticky, longevity = medium

Pirelli Supercorsa sp v2 - excellent fast street/ moderate track tire. Thin carcass, very stable. Heats very quickly. Sticky, longevity = low

Hope that helps

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Nice round up msPJFZ1.

Though I would add the Pilot road 3 and 4 are VERY different tyres. The 4 in particular works brilliantly on the road in the widest range of temperatures and wet or dry that the 3's miss out on. The 4 feels much more planted than the 3's. Both last on the road well but be aware that 4's will wear a flat in the middle faster than the 3's when touring. Both work best at medium tyre temperatures ( ie road riding rather than track)

Keep in mind with all of these tyres that the 07 has a huge rear tyre for this bike's speed , power and lack of weight, so will compromise the generalizations that usually apply to these tyres.

The new Dunlop Roadsmart 3's have very good dry and wet grip and last super long. According to reviews they grip better than PR4's wet or dry and get more mileage. Fairly inexpensive as well.

For really digging into corners n riding hard I like the Metzeler M7's , they have good wet and drip grip. Also Dunlop just released the Q3+ that is suppose to get more mileage. My rear on a Q3's , one lasted 7k the other lasted like 4K (miles) the front is good for 9 or so but starts losing a lot of grip by then. 

My buddies triumph speed triple had the pilot power 3's and they were good tires too, lasted quite a long time and felt good to me .

58 minutes ago, crsnhppr said:

My buddies triumph speed triple had the pilot power 3's and they were good tires too, lasted quite a long time and felt good to me .

Power 3's are being replaced by Power RS's

1 hour ago, gregjet said:

Nice round up msPJFZ1.

Though I would add the Pilot road 3 and 4 are VERY different tyres. The 4 in particular works brilliantly on the road in the widest range of temperatures and wet or dry that the 3's miss out on. The 4 feels much more planted than the 3's. Both last on the road well but be aware that 4's will wear a flat in the middle faster than the 3's when touring. Both work best at medium tyre temperatures ( ie road riding rather than track)

Keep in mind with all of these tyres that the 07 has a huge rear tyre for this bike's speed , power and lack of weight, so will compromise the generalizations that usually apply to these tyres.

I'd agree with that. I think the differences in the 3/4 are negligible for most riders and fit in the same category. Though I absolutely agree in what you said for those who are a bit faster or are very particular about their tires. :-)

16 hours ago, msPJFZ1 said:

Pirelli Supercorsa sp v2 - excellent fast street/ moderate track tire. Thin carcass, very stable. Heats very quickly. Sticky, longevity = low

I would classify that as a 'very fast track' tyre, particularly on the 07 which doesn't have the power to heat the tyre as easily as litre size superbikes (which very successfully run this tyre). Overkill for the road in my opinion on the 07, very hard to get near its performance potential.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Q3 are really good...im going with Pirelli Angel GTs next for both bikes...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

The 07 will always be a bit different on any tyres at the rear because of the giant rear tyre  size for the weight and power. Very hard to get and keep it hot enough for tyres where right temp is important. Plus it doesn't need as much lean angle for any corner speed because of the weight and weight distro.

If I was racing one and the class rules allowed, I would be trying to get a 4-4.5" rim for the rear. Less weight and you could mount the right size tyre.