Sign in to follow this  
rocky1247

Let's talk tires

rocky1247

Got a puncture in my original front tire, time to replace and upgrade. Riding in cali, I want an aggressive slick grip tire with some slight tread for the light rain we'll likely see. Anyone have suggestions or experience? Stock wheels, and one size up in width for the front and rear tire is expected.

gregjet

Lots on this forum about tyres for this big. Going bigger is a complete waste of time and money. The rear is over the necessary size stock. Have a look in tyre section there is a posted link to motorcycles tyre choice video. The racer boys seem to have a thing for DunlopQ3's at the moment. For the road , I am a Pirelli Pilot Road 4 guy.

I would go a size SMALLER on the back ( 170/60) and drop a profile size on the front (120/60). Better profile matching and less weight ( so better accelleration). The 170/60 is almost the same diameter as the 180/55 so speedo won't be effected much

Edited by gregjet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

mjh937

I am thinking of the Pilot Power 3 for my next tire.  I have not even ordered them yet so do not wait for my opinion. 

• Like 1

blackout

Bridgestone S21's are a great track and street tire.  Have not been caught in the rain yet though.

blackout

Mounted myself and used Counteract balance beads to balance.  Tough job, but went Ok. 

0707170722.jpg

0730171718-1.jpg

0704171322.jpg

0704171355.jpg

rick

Nice rim protectors. What brand are they?

blackout
18 minutes ago, rick said:

Nice rim protectors. What brand are they?

Pro Motion I believe.  Bought from STG or Revzilla. 

rick
1 hour ago, blackout said:

Pro Motion I believe.  Bought from STG or Revzilla. 

Yep, Motion Pro. Far nicer than the ones I use.

I used to do tires with clamps and irons - it always worked, but these big tires are no fun w/o having a stand with clamps to hold the rim. Takes a little investment for the gear, but worth it for me.

One thing that will really make that job easier and is cheap is proper tire mounting lubricant. I use this stuff. It's meant to be diluted with water (it's a translucent gel in the tub), but can be used straight for a really stubborn tire. It's stupid slippery and won't hurt tire or rim. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/xtra-seal-8-lb.-murphy-s-compound-14-708/28200405-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=28200405-P&c3apidt=24654097046&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzZL3lcO01gIVx1uGCh3k2A9QEAYYASABEgLa0_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

As for sticky tires for the street, the S21 Bridgestones get nice write-ups.

gregjet

Yeah, S21's were good on the DRZ400SM but it's a very light bike. Nice to know they work on the 07 as well. Certainly a lot less harsh than the 23's.

I like those rim protectors. Never seen them before. Since I discovered a local shop that will fit the tyres for nothing ( if you buy the new ones from them) if you take the wheels in off the bike and I am no longer racing ( sob, sob) I haven't had much need for them.

shinyribs

Keep seeing mention of the stock tires being "harsh", and I'm not ashamed to say today I don't know what that means lol. 

I find no problems wish the 023's grip, but I'm curious about this harsh thing. 

YZEtc

To me, harsh means that they don't absorb bumps very well because they feel stiff.

My FZ-07 came with the Bridgestone BT023, too, and I didn't feel they were bad, either.

In fact, I would use them again if I had to.

I only changed them when they were worn enough to justify doing so, and when I did, I went with my preferred Michelin Pilot Powers in the stock sizes.

Edited by YZEtc
  • Thanks 1

gregjet

It's a carcass feel thing. Kinda like whether you like setting you brakes up with a hard small modulation range or softer longer range. Some tyres "feel" like they are solid some feel more compliant to the road surface. Not directly air pressure related although that is a side factor. Mixture of tread rubber compound and carcass rubber compound, profile, suspension reatcion to any tyre bounce and carcass construction. Most people don't notice and don't care ( or at least think they don't notice).  This is NOT about how the tyre grips/releases. it is about how your hands feel the road surface and how your feet and bum read the road.

The two most liked tyres on this forum appear to be at the opposite ends of the harsh/compliant spectrum. Lots of riders like the solid feel of the Dunlop Q3's and lots like the feel of the Pirelli PR4's. Both work VERY well grip wise but feel completely different.

Bridgies USUALLY feel compliant, but the ones fitted to the 07 OEM don't. They feel ( to me at least) like Dunlops usually do.

This whole thing is bought home big time in MotoGP. The feel difference between Michies and Bridgies is slight, but enough to upset the riders and set up guys when trying to optimise track feedback. Bridgies feel jus a bit more "harsh".

It also shows up if you live where the road surfaces are macro surface texture rough and/ or lumpy surfaces ( potholes, bumps etc).

To be fair , it is me that bangs on about harshness of the bridges on this forum the most, though I am not alone. It IS an opinion not a provable fact.

I haven't used the latest versions of Michies Pilot Powers, so they may may also improved their wet performance, but I prefer the PR4's for their huge weather range handling capacity on my road bikes.

Edited by gregjet
addition and correction
  • Thanks 1

Beemer
On 9/20/2017 at 12:24 PM, blackout said:

Bridgestone S21's are a great track and street tire.  Have not been caught in the rain yet though.

I've used these and no complaints. They were grippy, nice profile, felt great and good mileage for as soft as they are. I don't race or ride real fast so I honestly don't need that good a tire.

pjfz1

We Mount and go through ALOT of Tires.

Bridgestone S21's are a great combination of grip, Wear, and price. They are as good or better than the Q3, with 30-40% more milage

If you really don't care about longevity, Michelin Power RS.

• Thanks 1