The MT-07 Forum

R3 Bodywork on a FZ-07, Any R3 owners out there?...

blackout

• Premium Member

Most will find this crazy, but I'm looking to add full fairings (minus seat and tank) to my FZ-07.  My bike is tracked and street ridden.  Last winter I designed a head fairing with a FZ1 windscreen and that has worked great for highway speeding to work.  The bike is so stable with the reduced front lift of the head fairing.  The problem is, at about 95 mph on the track, my head fairing starts vibrating a good amount.  This is something I'm not comfortable with.  It's probably caused by turbulence coming off the head fairing and the fact that it's mounted only at one location on the frame.

I'm obviously aware of the FZ-07R body work from AP Motoarts, but the R body work requires low clip-on handle bars or there will be clearance issues.  Since this bike is street ridden as well as tracked, I need a compromise in my riding position.

The R3 bodywork looks like it will fit my needs.  There is plenty of room for higher clip-ons.  Also, the R3 body work should match the stock seat and tail of the FZ pretty good, so no need to mod that area of the bike.  I do plan on modding the FZ-07 gas tank air inlets as they would look odd and might interfere with the R3 fairings.

If there are any R3 owners out there, it would be great if they could measure the overall width of their R3 radiator.  That would give me an idea if the R3 body work is wide enough for the FZ-07.  Also, if they could measure the length of their R3 forks, from very top to axle center, that would help as well.  Thanks, much appreciated.  I did post on a R3 forum for these measurements, but have not heard back yet.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Global Moderator

I would head to the dealership with a tape measure.  That way you can get the exact measurements you want.  I would not think they would care, especially if yourl had a fabric tape measure so it woild not scratch anything.  

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, mjh937 said:

I would head to the dealership with a tape measure.  That way you can get the exact measurements you want.  I would not think they would care, especially if yourl had a fabric tape measure so it woild not scratch anything.  

A fabric tape measure is a good idea.  The last I was in, my dealer had no R3's, but I'll keep a look out.

I did get a response on the R3 forum, 350 mm wide, which is the same as the FZ-07.  So that is a good sign that the R3 body work might be wide enough.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Archived