The MT-07 Forum

Has anyone relocated their instrument cluster?

digitalsteve

I'd be interested to know if anyone has moved their instrument cluster.

I quite like the look of the Gilles Tooling product (https://www.gillestooling.com/products/design-parts/style-parts/2021/speedometer-set-mt07) but I'd like to know if it will work with the Yamaha Sports Screen (https://yshop.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/sports-screen-0) as I really like what the protection that the screen provides.... it's surprising how effective it is.

Ive got the same screen and i doubt it'll fit under it. I can barely get my gloved hand to the key with it installed. I could be wrong but it looks too bulky for that particular screen 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, digitalsteve said:

I'd be interested to know if anyone has moved their instrument cluster.

I quite like the look of the Gilles Tooling product (https://www.gillestooling.com/products/design-parts/style-parts/2021/speedometer-set-mt07) but I'd like to know if it will work with the Yamaha Sports Screen (https://yshop.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/sports-screen-0) as I really like what the protection that the screen provides.... it's surprising how effective it is.

@digitalsteve

I have to update my build thread on it, most of it got cut off during the merge to the new forum. Here's a couple of pics. can easliy leave the full "touring" size on there for actual wind protection.

NakCmnil.jpgzOTjtsNl.jpg1n8SvnSl.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jmacas87 said:

@digitalsteve

I have to update my build thread on it, most of it got cut off during the merge to the new forum. Here's a couple of pics. can easliy leave the full "touring" size on there for actual wind protection.

NakCmnil.jpgzOTjtsNl.jpg1n8SvnSl.jpg

Hi mate,

Where was your build thread? I can't seem to find it.

I reckon it might be able to fit with your setup... I could always put longer attachment bars on for it I guess.

That looks awesome... and my favourite colour combo too... damn I wish these weren't so scarce here!

Any ideas on if this would work with the Yamaha windscreen?

If yes, I would recommend putting up the bracket on thingiverse... I'd buy one that was well machined.

Edited by TheWulf
typo
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm interested to what comes from this, its a great solution for an oversight by Yamaha that I'd love to do to my FZ-07. 

• Like 1

It wouldn't surprise me if more people have moved the cluster forward than left it stock. Bad spot, bad angle.

• Like 1

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

1 hour ago, gregjet said:

It wouldn't surprise me if more people have moved the cluster forward than left it stock. Bad spot, bad angle.

It's really horrible.

I've actually just taken my Yamaha Sports Screen off (just to test what it's like without it) and I'm happy... so I reckon I'll move the cluster forward.

On 9/28/2017 at 3:49 AM, jmacas87 said:

does anyone have pics of the OEM yamaha windscreen brackets? I reckon spacers/fab can be made to make it worked like mine did.

I can take some photos if you like?

I relocated mine, but never got around to fitting a windscreen of any type to cover it. However, I found the gauge to be very distracting at night with how bright it is. Seemed like it reduced my vision at night since it was messing with how my eyes would focus...hard to explain. Kinda like always having oncoming traffic shining headlights at your eyes. It was really nice having it easily in my field of vision, but it glared off my visor, especially if my visor was the least bit dirty. Ended up putting it back where it came from. 

digitalsteve
9 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

I relocated mine, but never got around to fitting a windscreen of any type to cover it. However, I found the gauge to be very distracting at night with how bright it is. Seemed like it reduced my vision at night since it was messing with how my eyes would focus...hard to explain. Kinda like always having oncoming traffic shining headlights at your eyes. It was really nice having it easily in my field of vision, but it glared off my visor, especially if my visor was the least bit dirty. Ended up putting it back where it came from. 

Turn the brightness down?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, digitalsteve said:

Turn the brightness down?

I found it in the owner's manual:

To adjust the brightness

1. Turn the key to "OFF".

2. Push and hold the left set button.

3. Turn the key to "ON" and continue

pushing the left set button until the

display switches to the brightness

control mode.

4. Push the right set button to set the

brightness level.

5. Push the left set button to confirm

the selected brightness level and

exit the brightness control mode.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

$7 for 2 M6 threaded 10mm lengths, 2 lock washers, 2 nuts, 2 washers and 2 locking nuts.   Now I don't have to move my head down to see the display.  I'm looking to buy some round black anodized aluminum standoffs around 12mm long so I can use the stock screws in the top - looking for a distributor.  The key is a little tight to get into the ignition. 

IMAG0246.jpg

IMAG0247.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I would be looking to add a locking nut on each of the bolts where they screw into the top yoke, that would stiffen it up a bit and reduce vibration.. Not the most elegant solution but functional and cheap..

Gary

3 hours ago, digitalsteve said:

I can confirm that this kit is awesome and, if you don't mount the little screen that comes with it, it just barely works with the Yamaha Sports Screen.

I'd love to see some pics of it on your bike. 

I don't hate the meter where it is TOO badly...I relocated mine, then put it back. It's kind of a non-issue for me, but I can't stand where the key switch is. At least this kits helps cure the key issue. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2017 at 4:19 AM, rider said:

I found it in the owner's manual:

To adjust the brightness

1. Turn the key to "OFF".

2. Push and hold the left set button.

3. Turn the key to "ON" and continue

pushing the left set button until the

display switches to the brightness

control mode.

4. Push the right set button to set the

brightness level.

5. Push the left set button to confirm

the selected brightness level and

exit the brightness control mode.

ARE YOU SERIOUS, Damn it, I shoould have never listedn to that harley rider and used duct tape

• Like 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

10 hours ago, r1limited said:

ARE YOU SERIOUS, Damn it, I shoould have never listedn to that harley rider and used duct tape

Actually, he was partly correct.  Duct tape is the best thing  to darken the speed part if you have a camera.  Also great for re-attaching stuff that fell off of your dirt bike from a crash or your Harley from the vibrations.

• Haha 1