The MT-07 Forum

I really hate the horn button

TheWulf

Rant thread!

The hand controls on this bike are kinda horrible. Buttons are small, have poor tactile feedback and are on weird locations. The worst by far is the horn button. Why is not at the thumb, below the controls, like on most other bikes? It's in the worst possible spot and I can't even hit it without taking my palm off the handlebars. It's completely worthless in an emergency situation if you actually want to hit it quickly because you'll never find it. 

I have half a mind to remove that entire control block and replace it with one off another bike...

</rant>

I removed the locking tab from the switch pod and turned it up so that the indicator now sits higher where my tumb naturally reach for. Haven't honked since I did that.

10 minutes ago, faffi said:

I removed the locking tab from the switch pod and turned it up so that the indicator now sits higher where my tumb naturally reach for. Haven't honked since I did that.

I'd rather be looking at it than looking for it 😉

3 hours ago, TheWulf said:

Rant thread!

The hand controls on this bike are kinda horrible. Buttons are small, have poor tactile feedback and are on weird locations. The worst by far is the horn button. Why is not at the thumb, below the controls, like on most other bikes? It's in the worst possible spot and I can't even hit it without taking my palm off the handlebars. It's completely worthless in an emergency situation if you actually want to hit it quickly because you'll never find it. 

I have half a mind to remove that entire control block and replace it with one off another bike...

</rant>

I'm with you on this 100%

I used to have a KLR 650. The Euro models of those bikes had the flash to pass function ( US models didn't) and you can find those switches aftermarket for about $65. I'm thinking about swapping to one of those. You won't lose any features, just gain a decent switch. Actually, you can gain the ability to turn your headlights and or tail lights off independently, if desired. 

I put about 10k miles on one of these switches that I bought used and has no problems. They're solid switches. 

You can find them cheaper than this, but Happy Trails is the first place that popped in my mind to find a link. 

http://www.happy-trail.com/headlight-switch-kit-a-series-klr650.html

Other than using a horn to alert a car sitting at a green light, I find them to be almost useless. What are they really accomplishing for us? Sure, we can honk at someone for pulling in front of us but the damage has already been done.

• Premium Member

I can't complain because its all I've ever known; I'm used to its position. Whats worse than the button? The "horn" itself.  Upgrade that mother.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I have owned quite a few bikes and agree the placement of the horn button on this bike is the worst I have seen.  I have only had the bike for six months and I am still training myself to locate it when things get dicey.  I find it easier to cover the button at all time e.g. resting my thumb on it for when it is needed and that seems to work okay.  I prefer the button be located in a more natural location.

11 hours ago, digitalsteve said:

I'd prefer the horn on the flash-to-pass button to be honest.

I'm in Australia on a MT 07 HO, so not sure if the FZ 07's have that button.

Yes they do. I actually had the same thought. Might rewire it.

12 hours ago, Mr.Puss said:

I can't complain because its all I've ever known; I'm used to its position. Whats worse than the button? The "horn" itself.  Upgrade that mother.

Most stock horns suck, especially on street bikes. I have the Denali Soundbomb Mini Horn and it's a very decent upgrade. I'm also a huge fan of Hella Supertone horns if you want to go all out but you'd need to wire up a relay and fabricate some brackets. 

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, TheWulf said:

Yes they do. I actually had the same thought. Might rewire it.

Most stock horns suck, especially on street bikes. I have the Denali Soundbomb Mini Horn and it's a very decent upgrade. I'm also a huge fan of Hella Supertone horns if you want to go all out but you'd need to wire up a relay and fabricate some brackets. 

I bought the Stebel Nautilus Compact Tuning horn, its around 134 db. Makes everyone take notice with even minor toots. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

I think I ride in a good area as I have never used my horn in 9,000 miles.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Archived