AlbatrossCafe

Finally broke the fabled "200 miles on one tank" mark

AlbatrossCafe

I've been trying to get 200+ miles on one tank since I've owned the bike. The problem was not my bike wasn't capable of it, but moreso that while riding with "best MPG possible" style, I would get SO BORED by about ~130miles that I would say "f*** it", open it up, and ruin all my hard work.

FYI, I'm 230lbs, have no windscreen, have an Akra carbon exhaust and a 2wheel dynoworks flash. This was during commuting about 42 miles highway and 8 miles city each day. I would turn the bike off at long stoplights. I'm impressed I can get nearly 60 MPG with my weight + wind resistance. Normally I'm around 46-50 with how I ride (calculated at pump, not by bike MPG monitor). I probably could have gone ~10 more miles if I was feeling daring.

Proof is in the pictures! Anyone else hit 200+ miles?

0mzvTD2.jpg?1

db8VN5P.jpg?1

yqWYARO.jpg?1

mjh937

Nice.   How much fuel did it take to fill?

dmoney

My best is 272 miles. Yamaha sports screen, akra carbon and my 300lbs fat a$$. I filled up 13.64 litres from memory so it was close to bone dry. 250 miles isnt that hard to do (I've done it 3 times now) but its not going to be as much fun as 'normal' riding. 

You have to admit that its pretty impressive that a bike like this can get that sort of range from a tank so small if you're careful but can also be so much fun when you decide you dont care about economy that day. 

yamahazaki

psshhhh, that's nothing.  My trip 1 reads 4170 miles.  ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

dmoney
23 minutes ago, yamahazaki said:

psshhhh, that's nothing.  My trip 1 reads 4170 miles.  ;)

This doesnt count 😋

20170919_022838.png

• Haha 1

AlbatrossCafe
40 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

Nice.   How much fuel did it take to fill?

I believe it was  3.24. I think I've put in like 3.34 before or something which is why I probably had a bit more room to go. I had 28 miles on the "TRIP F" odometer.

Edited by AlbatrossCafe
  • Like 1

botticelli

I get 150 tops! and that is if I'm daring.

I drone it out on the freeway at 85-90mph for 120 miles a day though.

I need a tank of gas a day, and i have never seen better than 35-36 mpg.

faffi

I have always been able to get 200 miles or more from a tank. But I ride in 6th gear most of the time. Not to save fuel, but because I like as few revs as possible when just moving along.

level41

Never tried it, but I should... I bet I could beat 200 miles easily. Done it a million of times on other bikes.
At a constant 55-60MPH, my bike does about 80MPG, so I should be able to do almost 300 miles on the tank, not 200!
Normally, I get between 160-180 miles per tank (doing some city and highway).

I've never taken it below 1 line though; but some day I'm willing to try, and take a 1 gallon reserve tank with me.
Would be a fun experience!

Edited by level41

michigan400

So the countdown (trip F) must come on with a little over a gallon left then?

I think I have been averaging around 52 - 55 mpg since I got the bike. Last I looked anyway was around there. I have never re set the average MPG on my speedo.

AlbatrossCafe
1 hour ago, michigan400 said:

So the countdown (trip F) must come on with a little over a gallon left then?

I think I have been averaging around 52 - 55 mpg since I got the bike. Last I looked anyway was around there. I have never re set the average MPG on my speedo.

In my experience, it is a little less than a gallon. I've gotten to the point where the bike was starved of gas going up a steep hill and cut out and I had about 32 miles on F. That was with riding pretty aggressively at about ~42MPG

cyow5

Perfect - my work is 22 miles from my house, so I should be able to get from one to the other just fine. Currently at work with one bar, but it isn't blinking yet or gone to Trip F. Watch me be the exception now that I've said something...

level41

On paper there's 0.7Gal of reserve, though I am not sure if the tank has 3 GAL before reserve, or 2,8Gal.

I usually get 2.8Gal, making about 0.5Gal on reserve, but haven't tested the reserve part.

• Like 1

Grip it & Rip it

There is no way in heck I could ever get 200 miles from a tank of gas here in town... I'm pretty sure san francisco is the most brutal place for gas mileage in the entire US, what with all the hills and stop signs and traffic. I haven't had the bike long enough to get a feel for my actual mileage but according to the bike I'm averaging low 40s... and that's with me breaking in the bike according to the manual and not really going above 5k. 

tavisb

Similar situation for me here in Pittsburgh. Lots of hills seem to kill the mpgs. Mid 40s for me.