The MT-07 Forum

chain noise

laurent

Hello,

my chain makes a noise, i would describe it as a rattle sound maybe (not sure of the wording).

I think that my chain slack is ok, i tried a little more tension and the sound is still there. I also checked the alignment of the markers on the rear axle and looked if the chain was not twisted. It doesn't seem bad to me.

Is it normal that the chain is noisy like that ? I doesn't sound right to me.

I had many dirt bikes / enduro before but this is my first street bike.

I looked if i could find some existings posts on this forum about this but didn't find any.

Thank you in advance.

The chain is very noisy. Most have an aftermarket exhaust that drowns out that noise but even if you coast you can still hear it. Maybe clean it and lube and see if that helps but from my experience it is pretty normal.

The chain adjustment is two inches :o so IMO its very sloppy, however it is what it is, making sure the chain is properly adjusted and I run on a tight 2 inch as well as lube that stinking thing with AMSOIL HD the sound is two things 1: out of adjustment 2: needs clean and lube. 

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I never clean a chain beyond wiping the side plates with paper towels. I've been using 140 wt gear oil with a little white Li grease mixed in to make it even thicker. This soaks in to the rollers and plates and really helps keep noise down. I apply every 200 miles or so. What little that flings off is easy to wipe clean and takes dirt with it.

After a ride, while the chain is still warm, I'll hoist the back and clamp one of these to the swinger bottom http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scottoiler-Dual-Injector-System-Kit-for-use-with-V-System-E-System-Mk-7-Range-/192053349758?hash=item2cb7458d7e:m:meOufelm-V75y_ex85nSTlw&vxp=mtr 

and hooked up to an old pump oiler can filled with my homemade lube. Spin the wheel slow while squeezing the oiler handle. Takes longer to get the bike hoisted than applying the lube,

Archived