The MT-07 Forum

CHAIN LUBE - The best, in my book anyway

wabill

I use maxima chain wax on all our bikes. It doesn't attract dirt and the chain stays nice and clean. We bought my wife's bike used and the chain had some surface rust. I thought we'd have to replace the chain, but it's been fine and you can't even see the rust any more.

I apply the chain wax to the inside of the chain (top side of the lower run) with a paper towel behind to protect the tire.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ChicagoAJ

I clean my chain/sprocket with kerosene (since it's oil based it cleans and lubes as well), then use Motul chain lube and spray it on the top side of the lower part of the chain while rotating the rear wheel.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ChicagoAJ

This stuff is fantastic. I've only used it once so far, but it's an aerosol spray. You can't even see it once it's been sprayed on the chain it's so clear. After about 30 minutes it turns into a very thin coating of a waxy/gel like substance. If you touch it, it's almost like a dry grease. I sprayed a lot on, I did; both sides of the chain, top of the lower run, and sprayed directly on top of the outside of the chain on the rear sprocket just to make sure all the rollers were coated evenly. Went for a 30 mile ride and there was not one little spot of the lube anywhere on my rear wheel, chain guard, or rear plastic.

I'll report back if something changes, but for now I'm ditching the sticky, flinging Motul chain lube.

1e14cf37-5edf-4167-8319-a6dcc82a521d_1.cc190dff228438057e2142741078c18a.jpeg

EDIT/DISCLAIMER: Wow this stuff really makes your chain loud as hell. I was pulling my hair thinking I adjusted it way too tight. Ended up with about 2.1 inches of slack and it's still super loud. Thought my wheel might've been out of alignment, nope. Chain and sprockets only have about 4,000 miles on them so after some Googling, it would appear that this dry lube is just causing the extra noise. 

This stuff is awesome though, I've never seen my chain so clean after riding around with leaves all over the road. It really does "self-clean." Anything that kind of sticks to it immediately gets flung off at speed. 

Archived