The MT-07 Forum

CHAIN LUBE - The best, in my book anyway

wabill

With 20,000 miles on my Triumph Speed Triple, I decided to change the front and rear sprockets to a new ratio.  Both old sprockets and the chain looked ready to go another 20K.  I was advised to keep doing what ever I was doing with my chain maintenance.   Here's a picture of the good stuff:
DSCN8220.jpg

[span][/span]It was available at hardware stores, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc under $9 a can.  I stocked up on the multi-use when I first saw that they started making a motorcycle specific variety at extra cost.  But I'm sure the M/C stuff is just as good. ;)

FJR1300A,Triumph S3,Ducati S2R1000
VisitedStatesMap2011.jpg 310820.png

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't find the larger picture but this stuff is a wax dry lube. It goes on wet but dries.  Wipe off the excess and you'll have to "Lube Sling".

DupontMCChainLube.jpg

This is the "New Stuff"

FJR1300A,Triumph S3,Ducati S2R1000
VisitedStatesMap2011.jpg 310820.png

• Premium Member

I had used the original formula DuPont chain lube with teflon before they changed it and agree that it was unbeatable.
It was the only chain lube my '09 1250 Bandit (GSF1250SA) ever saw and when I sold it at 20,000 miles, the chain still didn't have any tight spots and only rarely need adjustment. I typically clean and lube the chain on my bikes around 700 miles.

Here's an article from webBikeWorld that says DuPont no longer recommends its current formula Mult-Use Dry, Wax lubricant as a motorcycle chain lubricant:http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/dupont-motorcycle-chain-lube-2012/index.htm

My '12 Ninja 650R's chain has only seen PJ1 BLUE label and at 11,000 miles is still runs smooth with out any kinks or tight spots. The chain slack has only needed adjustment once around 700 miles. The chain has been cleaned with Tirox's spiral brush and PJ1 Super Cleaner or Tirox chain cleaner.
Tirox's spiral brush:
 brush4-big.jpg
Tirox's spiral 360* brush, compared to a typical grunge brush,makes the job faster and easier and does a better job cleaning the inside of the side plates. My only complaint with the PJ1 Blue is that it stays a bit tacky and slowly attracts dirt.

I had just bought some new formula DuPont Chain-Saver and yesterday afternoon I cleaned the ninja's chain and lubed it with the Chain-Saver. I immediately wiped off the excess chain lube and when it dried the chain looked clean and dry with just a very light transparent haze.

Running my fingers over the chain this morning, there is just the slightest drag like you know there's something on there, but it's not tacky at all.
I took the ninja for a short 40 mile ride today which is really too early to tell how clean the chain will stay, but it did prove that the Chain-Saver doesn't fling off. I have no doubts that it will do an excellent job protecting and lubricating the chain. If the chain stays cleaner longer than when using PJ1 Blue label, I'll switch to DuPont.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
I can't find the larger picture but this stuff is a wax dry lube. It goes on wet but dries.  Wipe off the excess and you'll have to "Lube Sling". 
DupontMCChainLube.jpgThis is the "New Stuff"

This is the stuff I have. But I'm wondering if it can be used on a bike with an o ring chain. Hubs FZ09 has an o ring chain and I think it takes a different lube. Anyone know?

Illegitimi non carborundum

I've used PJ1 blue before I switched to the Dupont Teflon multi use as well. Used it on my Truimph 10 years ago. Its still sold at Lowes for 6 or 7 $ US. I've tried wax and wax dried fast but was a bit tacky and I think it accumulated gunk. The teflon spray drys fast and no fling.

• Premium Member
"This is the stuff I have. But I'm wondering if it can be used on a bike with an o ring chain. Hubs FZ09 has an o ring chain and I think it takes a different lube. Anyone know?"

Yes, it's safe for O-ring chains. Check out what DuPont says about it: http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/chain_saver.html

I've just started using this chain lube and so far, it stays much cleaner than the PJ1 Blue label that I was using.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Where is the best place to find/buy the chain saver?

I got my first can of it at Walmart. Paid under $7.00 for an 11 oz spray can a few weeks ago.

Since I switched, I've put over a thousand miles on the chain. I've cleaned the chain twice and lubed it both times with the Chain Saver. It leaves a thin, dry film that leaves a dull sheen on the chain and sprocket teeth and it keeps the chain CLEAN.

DuPont Chain Saver is what I'll be staying with.

Thanks....found it at Walmart last night. $6.97/can. They also had the Dupont chain cleaner sitting right next to the chain saver so figured I would give it a try also.

• 6 months later...

What is a good chain lube that won't throw black crap all over the rear rim and swing arm?

bmwpowere36m3

WD-40 on o-ring chains... Your only cleaning and trying to keep the o-rings supple. The real lubricant is inside the links, trapped by the o-rings.

• Premium Member
I swear by DuPont Chain Saver lube. Clean it off with kerosene every once in a while.

A few others recommended this in a previous thread. I got a can 2 weeks ago, and this stuff is amazing. I go down a dirt/gravel driveway for about 1/2 a mile to get to the road, which isn't much better. My chain and sprocket stay waaay cleaner, much longer.

Other product I used was "high performance", but was messy and attracted dirt and grime like a magnet. I was cleaning my chain furiously.

Everything went braap.

I swear by DuPont Chain Saver lube. Clean it off with kerosene every once in a while.
This is what I use.  The kind with Teflon in it.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member

I'm all about Bel Ray Super Clean Chain Lube. Goes on White so you can see where you've sprayed. Doesn't fling.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Archived