The MT-07 Forum

Mirror Mount Plugs

howlinhoss

Since I put on bar end mirrors the OEM mirror mount being uncovered started to annoy me. So I am going to Home Depot and Lowes to see if I can find a cap or plug for the mount hole. I have seen some nylon plugs that just might work. Would really like to put a bolt there but no one sells a M10-1.25pitch x 15mm bolt.

Ok soo the 3/8 Hillman nylon plugs from home depot were too big. Needed to get 5/16 but these caps were real small and I did not like how they didn't really cover the top surface of the hole. Also the M10 20mm bolt with M10 nut looked like crap.

Found some other more better options.

I like this the best.
http://www.drcproducts.com/body/d41-06-50/index.html

Also the Ninja 300 and I am sure other bikes comes with rubber plugs which you can probably order from the dealership.

Last option is another set of nylon plugs which look more promising than the hillman plugs.

https://store.bevelheaven.com/bar-end-mirrors-etc/mirror-hole-plugs-2-fit-all-bike-mirror-holes/

I think I will go with the DRC in red or titanium. These will look good since they will not stick out of the mirror hole. If you shop for your own M10 bolt it must be 1.25 pitch and less than 15mm long.

I went with these.

store.bevelheaven.com/bar-end-mirrors-etc/mirror-hole-plugs-2-fit-all-bike-mirror-holes/

Trebec made a great point about the reverse thread for the right mirror mount. I didnt call DRC to see if they sell those bolts with the threads reversed.

Nice. I'm gonna call DRC and see what they say. If not, I'm gonna run by the lowes here in town and see if I can find something like those push plugs for cheaper. I don't like waiting for things in the mail haha

Nice. I'm gonna call DRC and see what they say. If not, I'm gonna run by the lowes here in town and see if I can find something like those push plugs for cheaper. I don't like waiting for things in the mail haha
Any updates on this by chance?  Did you call DRC yet?  I would assume the reverse thread is standard on many bikes and their bolts are threaded accordingly, but it would be nice to confirm.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

I didnt get an answer when I called the first time. Havent really had time to call. I'll try again tomorrow and let you know. But I would think it would be reversed on one side.

The Bevel Heaven plugs fit great. I highly recommend those if the DRCs don't work out. You just need to cut some of the bottom fins off until it fits.

• 2 weeks later...
HatGuysFriend

Another option is you can get a RAM Mount ball. You can order it from Revzilla, and this way you have an easy option to put on a mount later for anything.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ram-mounts-ball-base

Yamaha FZ-07 '15
Honda Shadow VT750DC '06 - for sale
Kawasaki Ninja 250r '08 - for sale
Previous Bikes:
Kawasaki Eliminator 125 '06

Another option is you can get a RAM Mount ball. You can order it from Revzilla, and this way you have an easy option to put on a mount later for anything. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ram-mounts-ball-base
Hey that's not a bad idea!  I was thinking about looking into a RAM mount too, but the kind that mounts straight to the bars.  This might be a better idea.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

HatGuysFriend
Another option is you can get a RAM Mount ball. You can order it from Revzilla, and this way you have an easy option to put on a mount later for anything. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ram-mounts-ball-base
Hey that's not a bad idea!  I was thinking about looking into a RAM mount too, but the kind that mounts straight to the bars.  This might be a better idea.  
Yah I like it because it saves some space. I'm doing something slightly different though.  I am just going to order some black bolts to thread into it. I have this ram mount which I can then put underneath the screw if I want to. This way its a little bit harder for someone to steal it because they will need an M16 nut driver, instead of just being able to grab the mount and unscrew it. 

Yamaha FZ-07 '15
Honda Shadow VT750DC '06 - for sale
Kawasaki Ninja 250r '08 - for sale
Previous Bikes:
Kawasaki Eliminator 125 '06

• 7 months later...

I know I am bringing up a really old thread but I thought I would answer some questions on the product in question. I sent an email to DRC and they said the following:

"D41-06-508 bolt size is M10, thread pitch = 1.25.
They do not come as a pair. One pice / one side."

They do not come in left and right hand threads so this would only works for the clutch side of the mirror.

The best set I found was the following which comes in both left and right hand threads:

corsair-industries.com/parts/Ducati%20Billet%20Parts/Ducati%2010mm%20Mirror%20Plug/

Dustin

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25x-Plastic-Rivet-Fastener-Mud-Flaps-Fender-Push-clips-8mm-NA01-56-145-/121210473760?fits=Year%3A2002%7CMake%3AFord%7CModel%3AEscape&hash=item1c38b50d20&vxp=mtr

A few months ago, my 16 year-old daughter had a run-in with a mailbox in her car, damaging her front fender. I ordered a replacement fender and a pack of 25 new nylon push clips to use. After her repairs,  I tried using these push clips to cover the mirror holes as well as the passenger peg holes on my bike. They work great, look pretty good and were inexpensive.

• 4 weeks later...

As someone who has used hardware/car parts plastic plugs for months, recently I was able to upgrade to an OEM plastic plug.

This is an official yamaha part. I noticed my R3 has nice looking mirror blanking plugs, I popped them out and placed them on my FZ07, fit nicely even though they have different bolt sizes. So I ordered a pair.

The part number is:

90338-09012-00

bp210.jpg

So if you don't want to spend 20 bucks and wait for shipping from UK on one of those metal blanking plugs, and don't want to use the cheapie looking hardware store plugs, do a search for that part number. They cost around 2 bucks each.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• 1 year later...

I went with the eBay UK option. Not the cheapest but a perfect screw in fit that looks oem.

Here's a cheap solution - I use rubber expansion nuts.  Just use a nice stainless steel fastener (like a button head cap screw) and a stainless washer on top to dress it up.  (I have a lathe so I made some little aluminum caps.)  The expansion nut is a rubber plug with a brass nut in the bottom.  When you tighten the fastener (screw) it pulls up on the nut expanding the rubber.  This will lock it in a blind hole.  I've attached a picture of mine as well as a link to a nut so you can see it.  Check your size - I'm not sure this is the one I got as I got it a couple of years ago.

Home Depot Expansion Nut

IMG_1409.jpg

how to upload a picture to the internet

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Anyone have any canaduan sources? Those plugs are about $15
You can find at an auto part store little black push caps that hold the various bits of plastic shrouds on cars...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• 2 months later...
diamond678

Maybe someone will find some use out of this, but I had threaded mirror plugs shipped from Australia. Cost about $20 after shipping. One reverse threaded with yamaha logos on them.

Archived