The MT-07 Forum

1 1/8" Handlebar Mount

br4nd0n

Does the FZ-07 need a special kind of handlebar mount or will a universal 1 1/8" mount work? Wondering if I should get some cheap ones off ebay or get the ProTaper ones even though they look like the same quality and don't give you socket cap bolts.

Some others here were interested in 7/8" to 1 1/8" adapters but I don't think any one reported back with a purchase. If the bolt pattern was the same and the bolts of equal quality, I wouldn't have a problem trying the cheaper ones if the design shape and color appeals to you. Most of the Chinese knock off stuff claims to be cnc machined 6061T6 alum. alloy but I could see where simple risers could be a cheap casting, however, once tooled up it's probably just as cheap and maybe easier just to have a cnc machine crank them out. Even the hardware could be changed out for higher quality if suspect. You should also be able to look at the picture and tell if it appears to be machined or not. I guess the bolt spacing would be my first question and may be pretty std. for 7/8" bars, I don't know...wish I could help more...I do like the idea of 1 1/8" bars and I wouldn't mind the slight rise the shortest risers would give.

From what I can see, most them look like they are cnc'd, but that doesn't mean they are. It be nice if someone could weigh in on this because a lot of these single bolt (rubber mount) mounts are rectangular and was wondering if that was an issue because the fz-07 has cylindrical bumps. Maybe they would cover it up fine or maybe you'd need a washer or something. These are the kind of things I'd like to know.

Archived