The MT-07 Forum

Motorcycle maintenance

phanomenal07

Anybody else find that everything you have to check every 4000 miles or before every riding season is a lot? I been reading the manual and watching videos and I feel a little overwhelmed. Especially since I don't know what most of the stuff is.

Welcome to the club!

How often are you planning to use the bike? As a commuter, yeah every 4,000 miles might be considered frequent. As a weekend bike, every 4,000 miles isn't that often.

Also how did you get the number of 4,000 miles? I see in my owners manual it's every 6,000 miles after the first 600 mile service.

Either way, you should keep your motorcycle in top condition regardless of usage or laziness because, if you don't, your bike will malfunction and you could crash hahaha

You do you and I'll do me.

What are you looking at needing done every 4k miles? If you are talking about oil changes, I don't think I could go that long. Heck, I did my "600 mile service" at 200 miles lol. No way I could keep break-in oil in a bike for that long.

One thing I would recommend, and it's more labor intensive than it is actually difficult, would be to pack every connector on the bike with dielectric grease. The first night I brought my bike home I stripped the body completely off, lifted the tank, pulled the head light/rear lighting apart and packed every connector with dielectric grease. And I mean every connector. Took about 2 hrs total, but totally worth it I've owned/rebuilt/daily ridden several vintage bikes and they ALL suffered from electrical issues simply because nobody ever protects these things. I don't care how good modern electrical connectors are, corrosion WILL happen. I even opened my switchgear and greased them up. Moisture gets everywhere, regardless if you ride in the rain or not. It's just in the air.

Also how did you get the number of 4,000 miles? I see in my owners manual it's every 6,000 miles after the first 600 mile service. 

My manual (2016) breaks down maintenance intervals at 600, 4k, 8k, 12k,16k and 20k miles. The manual on Yamaha's website lists the same. 

Much of the stuff you tend to check automatically on every ride once you get used to it,
the bike as windows for checking water oil and brake fluid that can be checked at a glance
when getting off the bike, you should always keep a eye on the tyres brakes and chain.
A quick look round after a ride, a bit of oil on anything that looks a bit dry, running
maintainance, it only takes minutes at most then at 6000 all you really have to do is
the oil n filter if it's due only the plugs and valves are a bit more involved.
It's the way I always run my bikes and have never had a problem, bikes do tend to be
more maintenance heavy than cars, my car calls for a engine oil change every 17,000 miles
and a cam belt every 72.000 not much else time bikes caught up.

My manual (2016) breaks down maintenance intervals at 600, 4k, 8k, 12k,16k and 20k miles. The manual on Yamaha's website lists the same.
Hmm, good to know! Mine is 2015 and it still says every 6,000 miles

I guess it isnt all that much. I want to learn to do stuff myself but I'm afraid to hurt my bike if I do something wrong. ?

Welcome to the club!  
How often are you planning to use the bike? As a commuter, yeah every 4,000 miles might be considered frequent. As a weekend bike, every 4,000 miles isn't that often.

I ride my bike a lot. Not so much commuting but riding around for fun.
I bought the bike 10 days ago and I'm already at 1000 miles. Gonna have to put it away for the winter soon tho. I don't really wanna ride below 40 degrees and I'm philly the whole winter is pretty much below 40f.

• Premium Member
Hmm, good to know! Mine is 2015 and it still says every 6,000 miles
Thats strange having the maintenance intervals at different odometer readings. Duke I have a 2015 also and I have the owners manual printed in 2014 by Yamaha Motor Corp. First Edition. and its says initial at 600 miles and then 4,000 for the next, after that its every 4,000 miles. I don't know what is the point your making " Mine is 2015 (and it still says every 6,000 miles) everything jbone is saying with the Yamaha website and manual is correct from my research and manual I'm looking at right now. I for sure think 6G is way out, maybe you have a different manual to me! I don't know.

Ahh, the plot thickens!

I realized I had the version that was published in 2013 (says every 6,000 miles). The 2014+ published version says every 4,000 miles.

Anyway, if y'all ever need the owner's manual for your year, you get download the PDF from Yamaha's site: https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/motorsports/owners-manuals

General maintenance, routine maintenace every ride maintenance is all part of the game.  Half the fun is making sure the mistriss is purring

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Maintenance is like my catharsis. Sure the first throttle body sync took me 2 hours to figure out but now i can change the plugs, and Tb sync in under 30 minutes. In need to buy the manual because I need to replace my clutch stuff tho. 

Archived