The MT-07 Forum

Weird rear tire wear

scoobyfan

Hi, I just realised today that my rear tire is scuffing on the left side only. Bike has 5k km. I did adjust the chain twice on this bike. I mesured the length of the adjuster bolts (from the end of the bolt to the swing arm) and I got a 0.25mm difference overall so I don't think the wheel alignment is off.

I'll need to check with the string method to be sure.

Also I installed the traxxion dynamics front springs and emulators and a rear ohlins shock.

I tried to take a photo but it's not easy to clearly show the problem. You see the thread is not equal,the other side is good (2nd picture is the right side)

Thanksb94bd75fd75c74e9288dcd1cbe5b2ae8.jpg8334901f26b7c130d89011f33691f868.jpg115813e85447510fa3f1265b59d027d1.jpg

Usually a sign of incorrect rebound damping. A simple way to verify if the wheel is pointing correctly is to let go of the handlebars at speed (at your own risk) - the bike should track straight. If it wants to lean/pull in one direction, wheels are not in line.

The bike goes straight if I let the handlebars, forgot to mention it earlier.

It doesn't pull at all one way or another.

I did most of my riding 2up this year with the new shock,maybe I should try to play a little with the shock's adjustment. I set it to be comfortable for my girlfriend, it was hard on her back at first so I soften it a little but maybe it's too soft for 2 people ?

Or she just sit on one side of the bike lol

The bike goes straight if I let the handlebars, forgot to mention it earlier. 
It doesn't pull at all one way or another.

I did most of my riding 2up this year with the new shock,maybe I should try to play a little with the shock's adjustment. I set it to be comfortable for my girlfriend, it was hard on her back at first so I soften it a little but maybe it's too soft for 2 people ?

Or she just sit on one side of the bike lol
Side saddle that b*tch! lol.

90% crown of the road, other 10 is a comb of everything else (tire pressure, alignment, riding style, loading, suspension settings, geometry, etc) you can mitigate some of the weirdness but not eliminate it by futzing with schitt. I have a garage full of take offs that look just like it more or less. No biggie.

90% crown of the road, other 10 is a comb of everything else (tire pressure, alignment, riding style, loading, suspension settings, geometry, etc) you can mitigate some of the weirdness but not eliminate it by futzing with schitt. I have a garage full of take offs that look just like it more or less. No biggie.
ditto that.  
spend a lot of time going down highways and the camber of our roads will wear tires faster to the left of center. In Great Britain or anywhere driving is done on the left side, that will flip to the right side of course 

with you 2up a lot, you can try bumping that back tire pressure up a couple psi to 38, or even 40, though that might make the ride a bit harsh.

You should see my worn out Rear pilot road 3. Due to the dual rubber construction, the cord is showing left of center and still just bald in the center,with tread on the right.

This is due to the longer, higher speeds in left turns VS right. Also longer sight distances in left corners VS right so you go faster.

Only way to stop this is dismount the tire and flip it.

My Honda ST1300 is really bad at doing this on the front tire.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Archived