The MT-07 Forum

on the fence - switching from a gsx-r750?

papabear

so i've been surfing through the site for some time, and i am seriously thinking of getting a fz-07.

i currently have an '05 gsx-r750, and it has been scaring the pants off me lately, and i think i got the wrong bike for my riding style.

i'm not much for hitting the twisties, but i instead use the bike more for running errands and just riding around town to get out of the house and enjoy being on two wheels. 

i've read tons of reviews of the fz-07, and have spent hours watching youtube reviews.  i've checked my insurance and it would drop with a new fz-07, and i would wind up trading in my gixxer.  i need to check the ergonomics for me (i'm 5'7" with 30" inseam), but i'm still on the fence.

i frequent hwy 400 here in north ga (sometimes called the ga autobahn), so i'm wondering if the fz has enough power to get around and through traffic without holding it at redline?  not worried about wind or in-town riding, just looking for feedback if you wish you had more power for infrequent "spirited" highway riding.  any other bikes you wish you would have looked at more closely prior to getting the fz-07?

i had a '02 honda shadow ace prior to my gixxer, and it scared me since it didn't have enough power on the highway.  so like an idiot i jumped too far and into a crotch rocket...

thanks in advance!

slangklamman

i think the fz is perfect for you. i had the mt09 (fz09) but traded "down" to the 07 and it is a really nice bike. also you have a different power range with lowend punch compared to your gixxer

In my opinion, that's exactly what the FZ is good for. Around town errands, lunch trips, 'get out of the house' rides, etc. I ride mine on I-94 frequently , albeit short distances, and I have no issues keeping ahead of traffic. I have some country roads with twisties and it performs well. I'm 5'9 with a 32" inseam and I can flat foot the bike very easily. The 07 isn't going to get you into trouble unless you go looking for it.

I have an 06 gsxr 600 as well as my 07. You will love the 07 for your riding. The gsxr is a tool for another job, purpose built for the track. I doubt you'll even miss it. My vision is to make the Suzuki a track mostly bike since that's really where it belongs. 

Im also in Georgia and bought an fz-07. This was my first bike and I'm glad i went with it. Respect it and it will respect you. I use it mostly to commute ~35 miles a day when the weather cooperates. It has no problem getting up to highway speeds, the problem for me becomes wind. Being 6'0", I find myself trying to tuck at speeds above 70.

For spirited highway riding wind becomes a factor. A 'touring' type screen helps quite a bit, the smaller sport screens don't offer very much wind protection.

You'll fit the 07 fine.

+1. The FZ is for you. It'll do more than legal speeds on the highway all day no sweat. Around town it's just a hoot and a perfect urban bike. Best part is if you ever get the bug to be more "sporty" again, bars and rearsets will put you into a more aggressive position. Seems like a good fit got you

i frequent hwy 400 here in north ga (sometimes called the ga autobahn), so i'm wondering if the fz has enough power to get around and through traffic without holding it at redline?  

The FZ 07 eats highway miles with ease.  
To me, 65mph seems to be speed where the bike is completely effortless and wants to naturally be at. The tach is about 5k rpm IIRC. No vibes. Perfectly smooth and calm. Very little throttle input.

Staying in 6th and passing at 65 mph, you just roll on the throttle and you are at 80 mph in a moment. The engine still has plenty of torque left on tap at those speeds. It's fun when you do it and feel the pillion seat just push you along. Click in to 5th gear to passand it zips around in a hurry. You'll never be lacking for passing power. For "only 75hp", I'm still quite surprised how dang quickly these bikes can rocket from 65mph to 100mph+. 

IMO, for sustained cruising speeds, I think 80mph is completely doable. The engine is turning more rpm, obviously, but it is in no way strained. The day I bought my bike I rode it home on the interstate at 75-80mph for 2 hours. Purred like a kitten. 

I've been riding all sorts of bikes for over 20 years. I've never seen an engine/transmission combination as flexible as the FZ 07. Gobs of torque directly off idle, yet cruises completely effortlessly at 65-75mph. Seriously, there's plenty of torque....I saw a video of a guy take off from a standstill, going uphill, using 6th gear only. I was completely bored with modern motorcycles and their revvy engines, but the FZ 07 made me lay down cash on the spot. 

Get a dealer to give you a test ride before you make any decisions. The seating position beats the socks of a GSX-R, but the FZ will not have the same topend rush. The suspension is a tad lacking, but far from useless. Do some research on that before you decide to spend money. Good luck and keep an open mind!

thanks all for the replies! and for not flaming/berating the noob here.

really appreciate the feedback! hopefully i will get out to my local dealers in the next week or two and see if we can't make a deal.

thanks again!

• Premium Member

All said, though, until you actually RIDE one your experience may vary. If so, don't blame us. All the best!!!

The GSX750's are a very underrated bike. One of the few multi's I would own. The new one is even smaller and better. The 600 and 1000 are not for me for the road.
BUT you seem to be a bit aprehensive about the size/power. Before you chuck you money around, consider doing a GOOD riding course or two on a track. Youy will almost certainly come to appreciate the 750 a fair bit more.
Having said that, the 07 is a different bike ( from almost everything else). It's relatively light weight and responsiveness , especially once the suspension is improved, is quite addictive. It also doesen't vibrate much for a twin. It will also get vastly superior fuel economy to the 750, though it is a princess tiny tank, which hurts it;s range a fair bit.
If you can ride the 750, then the 07, then the 750, then the 07. That way you will get a better feel for the differences and whether you prefer one or the other. Usually easier to do that if you know someone with the other bike. Needs to be somewhere where you are actually using as much of the bike as possible.
Either way you ain't gonna have a bad bike.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Since you were wondering if the FZ-07 has enough power to pass on the highway (without being too fast) I dug into my videos and found this to show you what the bike is capable of. Keep in mind I shifted down to 5th to accelerate when I didn't have to, the gears are very close together and either will pull up to 100 and beyond fairly quickly. Quick enough to pass anyway, it took just four seconds to go from 85 to 100.

[video src=https://youtu.be/OPnUtGiCvnQ]

Beemer

• Premium Member

@beemer
I think that neon parachute up front is slowing you down. :D

Although, I do remember trying to speed up on the straights at the track and the FZ wasn't as impressive at that but it made up for it by allowing me to stick around in 3rd and 4th gear all the time without having to worry about shifting as much.

On a track with sports multis the 07 will appear to suffer. That's fair enough cause that's what multi sports bikes are made for. But on the road or racing other twins the 07 isn't gonna feel slow.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

@beemer I think that neon parachute up front is slowing you down. :D

Although, I do remember trying to speed up on the straights at the track and the FZ wasn't as impressive at that but it made up for it by allowing me to stick around in 3rd and 4th gear all the time without having to worry about shifting as much.
Ha! The jacket would be if it weren't for the windscreen doing it's job. Only when I wear it does it act like a parachute. The hood can roll up into the collar but it's too bulky and bothersome, makes it harder to turn the head left /right so I leave it hanging out for the wind to catch and man does it do a good job of catching it. Good jacket I must say, it's a Frogg Toggs and it breathes really well. *0 something deg. with two breathable, long sleeve shirts on and I didn't burn up. Ciao, stay frosty! 

Beemer

Archived